Status: Workin' on gettin' the 13th chapter out there.

Changed Directions

Slowed Down

Santana, Brittany and Quinn sat quietly at the table, lost in thought. The woman whom all their thoughts were based around had left to ‘take a breather’.

“She told you, I take it?”

Kurt and Puck slid into the bench across from them, Puck’s arm slung around the falsetto’s shoulders.

“Her best friend dying and herself becoming semi-crippled.” Santana shook her head. “I would never have pictured Berry in any branch of the military.” She snorted. “’Course, I never would have thought she was gay either; what with, Jesse St. Jackass, Finn and Puck.”

The man in question chuckled. “Well, think about the guys she dated as they are now.” Quinn raised an eyebrow in question. Holding up three fingers, he counted off. “Gay. Gay. Bi.”

“That’s like… A triple rainbow…” Brittany muttered.

“Wait. You’re bi?” Santana looked between the two men.

Kurt sighed, rolling his eyes. The ex-jock pulled his boyfriend tighter into his side. “Well, I was. That is, until I found my perfect match.” A quick kiss was shared, leaving both men with goofy grins. Santana made a whipping noise and gestured towards Puck. The mow-hawked man just smirked. “I could say the same for you.”

Brittany was placed on her lap, arms wrapped around the Latina’s neck, whose own hands were wrapped around the tall blonde’s waist. Smiling, the woman brought her girlfriend closer. “And proud of it!”

Quinn watched the two couples with slight envy. As content as she was with the hook-ups and no-strings-attached dating, it was just that. Contentment. She hadn’t found anything or anyone she wanted enough to go beyond the ‘content’ zone. Her last serious girlfriend was during her sophomore year at NYU, and they both knew it wouldn’t last. The girl had ended up transferring across the country to the UNLV, and that was the end of it.

Now, seeing the love and happiness in her friends’ eyes as they looked at their partners, Quinn felt a pang of longing for someone she could love with that intensity; and someone who would love her back with the same passion.

Rachel suddenly popped into her mind. How good she felt pressed up against the singer. The ache to hold her when the pain filled brown eyes as she retold her past to them. Quinn frowned. She probably has a girlfriend. Besides, why go for me when she probably has girls falling all over her.

“What has you all frowniful, baby mama?” Quinn glanced up, startled, not realizing how lost in thought she had gotten. She watched as Puck was smacked on the back of the head by his boyfriend. “Ow!” The mow-hawked man rubbed a hand over the, now stinging, area. “What was that for?”

Kurt raised an eyebrow. “I doubt Quinn enjoys being called that anymore. Actually, I doubt she ever liked being called it at all.”

The blonde chuckled. “Nah, it’s fine.” Shrugging at Kurt’s incredulous look, she took a sip from the drink in her hand. Purple Heart. She blinked in realization. Named for her friends that lost their lives. That’s what Rachel had meant. The frown returned to the woman’s face. Three of her companions glanced at each other, perplexed by their friend’s mood swings. Brittany just grabbed her fellow blonde’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“Don’t worry; I think she likes you too.” Quinn stared into the blue eyes piercing her, surprised. Brittany never ceased to amaze her with how perceptive she could be.

A blush rose to stain her cheeks as she noticed the smirks Puck and Santana were giving her. However, Kurt looked slightly apprehensive. “Um… What exactly did Rachel say about Alexis’ death?”

“Just that she had died in the same shooting Rachel was injured in.” Santana replied.

The falsetto sighed. “I don’t think she’d want me to tell you anything more, if she didn’t say herself; but, if you do pursue anything, Quinn, just know that she is fragile. Not physically, but-” he paused, unsure of what to say without telling them things that weren’t his right to tell. “Just understand that she’s been through a lot, and a fling is not what she needs.”

The former HBIC looked questioningly into the man’s eyes, before nodding. “I don’t want a fling either. I used to, but not anymore. Watching how happy you four are, I want something like that.”

Kurt smiled in a slightly frightening manner. “Good. Because I would have to personally make you regret it if you were to hurt my LBF.” Quinn shivered at the serious threat behind his comment before nodding again.

“LBF?” Santana questioned.

Kurt’s smile returned to genuine and warm as he chuckled. “Lesbian Best Friend.” He glanced at his watch. “Speaking of which, where did she go?” The three women pointed towards the backdoor that they had seen the singer go through. “Damn it. She knows that’s bad for her voice, not to mention life threatening.” He stood up. “I’ll go get her. She has her final set coming up anyway.” With that said he quickly left the table and slipped through the door, leaving the Unholy Trinity to stare at Puck with confusion.

“She picked up smoking at some point while in Basic Training. She doesn’t do it too often to be seriously damaging, but Kurt really doesn’t like it.” The shock on the faces of the three women caused Puck to shake his head. “She really did change a lot in the last four years.” He frowned thoughtfully. “Five really. You may not have noticed, but she was different during senior year; quieter, but even more forceful about competitions and being our best at dancing, singing and everything.”

“She must’ve been hoping for a college scout to offer a full-ride scholarship.” Quinn said. “I never realized her family wasn’t financially set. I mean, she never talked about it.”

“She didn’t talk about a lot of things that didn’t have to do with school or Broadway or getting out of Lima.” Brittany said quietly. Again Quinn was struck by her insightfulness. Before she could reply the lights dimmed and the DJ’s music quieted. Kurt slipped back into his place next to Puck as a spotlight illuminated Rachel. She sat on a stool, an acoustic guitar held in her arms. The fedora was back on her head, casting shadows over her face.

“Hey again, ya’ll.” She spoke into the mic. “So, I hope you’ve been enjoying yourself.” This was met by whistles and cheers. “Good good. Ok, so now I’m gonna slow things down, since it’s nearing closing and it’s probably good to calm things down before kicking everyone out, yes? Anyways, I’ve got about two of them I can fit in before we hit three AM.”

“Shit, is it really already three?” Quinn flipped open her phone, seeing 2:35AM glare back at her. “Damn it, I have a shoot in the morning.”

“No you don’t. Your assistant called while you were getting ready. Your schedule got cleared for tomorrow, and she practically ordered you to take a day off, since you never do. Now shush.” Brittany placed a finger to her lips before turning back towards the stage.

“Now, I’m gonna have to ask my main bartender, and best friend’s boyfriend, to come up hear and sing this with me.” She gestured to the table, and Puck stood up with a grin. “We sang this in my old glee club once. To a bunch of pretty assholish football jocks too. To make this authentic, I’ll even let him play my baby. You get a scratch on her, Puckerman, and you die.” Handing over the guitar, she placed herself near a second microphone, allowing Puck to use the stool. Strumming the instrument quickly to test it’s tuning, the man quickly started playing a familiar melody. Someone began a drum beat in the background, and another person was seated at a piano in the corner.

Smiling, Rachel grabbed the mic.

Picture-perfect memories scattered all around the floor
Reaching for the phone 'cause I can't fight it anymore


Puck grinned as he saw the woman glance towards the back table, knowing she was looking at a certain blonde ex-cheerleader.

And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time

It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now
Said I wouldn't call, but I lost all control and I need you now
And I don't know how I can do without
I just need you now


Another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door
Wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before


Turning out, the man locked eyes with his boyfriend.

And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time

It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now
Said I wouldn't call but I lost all control and I need you now
And I don't know how I can do without
I just need you now

Oh whoa

Yes I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all


Rachel suddenly looked down, taking a shuddering breath, before continuing. Puck knew her mind had flashed back to a much different location, with a much more deadly atmosphere.

It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now
And I said I wouldn't call but I'm a little drunk and I need you now
And I don't know how I can do without
I just need you now


Oh baby I need you now


As the audience cheered, Puck noticed a single tear course down Rachel’s cheek. Turning out, he quickly caught the attention of the club-goers, giving the brunette a chance to compose herself. “So, did ya’ll enjoy that?” Shouts of approval coursed through the room. “Awesome. Well, I’m gonna turn the mic back over to the boss, and get back to my boyfriend.” He handed the guitar back to Rachel, and hopped off stage.

“Now, I know you all know this song, so when we hit the chorus I hope you join in with me.” She began strumming a very familiar tune, causing nearly everyone to smile.

Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o'clock alarm would never ring,
But six rings and I rise;
Wipe the sleep out of my eyes.
My shavin' razor's cold and it stings.

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen?


About half the crowd had joined in. Rachel shook her head. “Now I know ya’ll can do better than that.”

You once thought of me
As a white knight on his steed.
Now you know how happy I can be.
Oh, and our good times start and end
Without dollar one to spend,
But how much, baby, do we really need?


The entire audience sang out.

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen?

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen?

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen?

Cheer up, Sleepy Jean.
Oh, what can it mean
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen?


“Thanks, ya’ll. Now, it’s about three o’clock, so I have got to shoo ya’ll out, clean and close.” A round of boos followed this announcement. “Aw, I feel loved. But it really must happen. I do actually need some sleep. And with the amount of drinking I’ve seen most of you do, you’ll need some too, trust me.” Laughter rang through the group. “Okay, now shoo shoo.” She flapped her hands towards the doors. With a few nods, patrons began to file out.

“I’ve never seen a club stay this full until closing; and I’ve seen a lot of clubs at closing time.” Santana glanced at the huge line of people heading through the door.

“Rachel definitely knows how to run her place to draw the crowds, and her voice is one of the things that keep them here.” Puck smiled at his friend, who was walking towards their table.

“Noah, I know you love your boy and all, but I am not paying you to cuddle with Kurt while there is cleaning that needs to happen.” Sighing, the man stood up and walked into the backroom to grab the cleaning supplies. Turning to the three girls, Rachel smiled. “You three are welcome to stay until this place is fully closed up. It’ll be a bit of a nightmare getting a cab until all these people,” she jerks her thumb at the crowded doorway, “are gone.” Just as they were nodding with agreement, a bottle was heard shattering outside. Rachel groaned. “Fuck. Can’t I have one night without having to break up a fight or call the cops?” Shaking her head, the singer began pushing through the crowd.

Kurt frowned, standing up. “Puck, get your ass out here and help Rach break up the fight outside.” Puck ran out, growling at the sound of more breaking glass.
♠ ♠ ♠
Author’s Note 1: *sneaks in, looks around. Drops in chapter and ducks behind wall to hide from angry, impatient readers.* I’m sorry!! I had so much trouble with this chapter, and I’ve been busy and I’m a high school student, and I’m sorry!

Author’s Note 2: I don’t own Glee, it belongs to Ryan Murphy and Fox. I don’t own the songs, they belong respectively to Lady Antebellum and the Monkees.


Author’s Note 3: Puck singing is in bold and Rachel singing is in italics and both them singing is in bold and italic.

Ok! Longest chapter yet! Though still not as long as you’d probably like… Sorry.

Need You Now with Rach and Puck is awesome, and I love listening to it, and yeah.

Reviews are love! (Seriously, I’d love you forever if you would send comments, criticism, even yelling at me for not updating in weeks).