Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter sixteen

I was now in Matt’s car riding to the party. T.K. and Kari were in the backseat, whilst I was in the passenger seat next to Matt driving.

“So where’s Yolei and…Davis tonight?” I asked T.K. and Kari, containing my small grin at mentioning Davis.

“Davis wasn’t invited! Oops! What a pity, my bad.” Kari giggled.

“Yeah, Davis and parties don’t mix very well, he always ends up getting drunk and acting like an idiot. We invited Yolei and Cody to both the gig and the possibility of an after party, but they turned it down. This isn’t their kind of scene.” T.K explained.

“Who’s Cody?” I asked.

“Cody is one of our friends. He’s one of the new Digi destined.” Kari informed me.

“New Digi destined pfft, I don’t know why they got recruited. We were the best team out there.” I jokingly replied, although I was a little bit curious why.

Tai, Sora, Matt, T.K., Kari, Izzy, Joe, Mimi and I worked so well back in the good old days of us being the Digi destined, during that fateful summer. We were sucked into the digital world, and made the most of what little resources we had. We overcame not only huge hurdles thrown at us from the bad guys, but we overcame problems in ourselves and as a group as a whole, which made our bonds stronger and ourselves stronger.

So it didn’t make sense to choose new people, except for Kari and T.K. What grounds were the new Digi destined chosen on? That one was never explained to me. The original nine of us were chosen because we viewed the fight between Greymon and Parrotmon at Highton View Terrace (I was visiting an auntie at the time)

I guess I was a little jealous too, and a bit insecure about it all. Sora told me that the new Digi destined got cool new digivices that allowed them to access the digital world whenever they liked, and because of that all the original kids went with them to visit their Digimon. I hadn’t seen Renamon since I was twelve, I really missed her.

Sora also told me one other strange thing. Back in our day as the Digi destined, we all had one crest each. Mine was the crest of innocence. It differed to Mimi’s crest of sincerity, although they were both similar. However, the new Digi destined have Digi eggs. But unlike our crests, the new Digi destined (except for Kari and T.K. who kept their old crests) got two eggs each. Now every crest of the old Digi destined got reallocated, except for the crest of innocence. Nobody found the Digi egg of innocence, it didn’t exist. Hence, why I’m insecure. I feel left out, as if I’ve missed out on a lot, and nothing of mine was passed on.

I shook my head. None of this even matters anymore. The old Digi destined team managed to defeat all we had to do to save both worlds, and the new Digi destined team fulfilled their purposes too. That’s all that mattered, and it doesn’t matter about being ‘old’ or ‘new’ we both have our own Digimon, and that’s all that counts.

“Don’t worry Scarlett, it’s because we’re too old and not juvenile. The Digi gods knew we were just too awesome to take on the job.” Matt joked.

I cracked a smile; I was ready to move on from the topic.

“We’re here.” Matt announced, as we arrived up to the house.

The party had already started; there were a few cars around and loud music. A lot of screaming, shouting and loud drunken shenanigans could be heard as well.

Matt parked the car, and took the keys from the ignition. He sat back and slumped, letting out a sigh.

Kari and T.K. immediately jumped out of the car and quickly walked up to the house. Only when they got to the door they realised Matt and I hadn’t followed them, and Matt waved them to go in.

“Are you okay?” Matt asked, giving me a small smile.

“Yeah, it’s kind of stupid. I left summer camp all those years ago grateful I made new friends, but not expecting it to affect the rest of my life. Only now am I coming to terms about the months we spent in the Digi world, how much it meant to me and how much my bond grew with you all. But instead I let it weaken, and let myself distance from you guys because I was a tough and stubborn tomboy.” I weakly smiled back.

“Don’t worry about it. You’ve already made good terms with everybody tonight, except Tai but I guess he’ll eventually come around. Remember how Tai and I used to fight? We’re best friends now, who would have thought it? And I remember we never used to get along too, and we seem to be getting pretty close.” Matt smiled.

I looked up in shock. ‘We seem to be getting pretty close’ not what I wanted with Matt.

“It’s not that. It’s just, I don’t know. I didn’t keep in contact, and everyone has changed so much, but they’re still the same. Kari is the one that’s shocked me the most, but I don’t think I’m allowed to tell you why.” I stated.

“That she’s become a bit…promiscuous? I know about that. T.K. came to me and told me about it, he’s worried about her. He is deeply infatuated with her, remember.” Matt informed me.

“Oh. Well, yeah. It’s just been a big slap in the face. She was just so…small. She was kind, and she was so intelligent. She’s the kind of girl you’d always expect to be in long-term relationships, she has so much love to give. And if Kari doesn’t fill expectations and has changed so much, what else have I missed?” I spilled.

“You’re the same.” Matt said to me.

“Me? No. I’ve changed the most.” I said loudly, a smile appearing across my face.

“No, you haven’t changed at all. I would tell you now, but I really can’t be bothered going to this party. I think instead we should go for a drive somewhere, and resume this conversation.” Matt proposed.

I noticed Tai and Sora walk up the path and into the house. I then looked back at Matt.

“Sure, sounds great.”

I felt guilty, after all I did promise Sora I would distance myself from Matt and NOT get involved with him, even just for a friendship. But I was seriously feeling down right now, and Matt’s words were making me feel better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Stray Cat, Kellshadows and Baby Squid for the comments!

Yeah so I finished rewatching Digimon Adventure 01 and began on Digimon Adventure 02 again, and my mourning over the end of 01 and the lack of 01 characters in 02 is kind of evident in this chapter, haha. I'm also trying to set up something should I use it later in the story.