Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter seventeen

Matt quickly pulled out of the driveway and into the street, ready to go wherever we decided.

“Where should we go?” Matt asked me.

“Um, can you surprise me? I don’t know this city well, so I can’t think of somewhere to hang out.” I weakly smiled.

“On the outskirts of the city there’s a big bushland area. It’s really nice at night, really serene. It’s only a twenty minute drive if you’re interested.” Matt suggested.

“Sure, I can’t think of anywhere else anyway.” I smiled to Matt.

Matt then did a u-turn, going past the party house again and turned onto the main road that I guessed led to the outskirts of the city.

“So why didn’t you want to go to the party?” I asked Matt.

“I don’t know. You know what I’m like Scarlett, I prefer being alone. After being given the crest of friendship I realised I work best with my best buddies around, but other than those few I care about I don’t like big crowds. I’d much just rather hang out with you.” Matt confessed.

“That makes sense, but why agree to go in the first place? Shouldn’t you have just said you couldn’t make it?” I asked him

“I thought you might have wanted to go to meet new people. I kind of realised on the drive over being thrown into a new group of people may not be the best place to meet new people, so I offered to see if you just wanted to hang out one on one which is what I prefer.” Matt replied.

“Okay I getcha now,” I smiled “So, shall we resume our previous conversation?”

“About you not changing? Sure.” Matt replied.

“How can you even say that I haven’t changed? I’m a lot less cynical and to be frank a lot nicer to a lot more people. I’m more open minded, and don’t get me started on how much my appearance has changed. How can you even state I’m exactly the same?” I said, flashing Matt a small ‘cute’ smile.

“It’s all in the eyes.” Matt smirked, not even taking his eyes off the road.

“What do you mean?” I asked, cocking my head to the side.

“With some of us and our crests, it took a while for some of our group to show why they received their crest, like me for example. It wasn’t until the end of our adventure that it became obvious why I got the crest of friendship. But there were some where it was obvious immediately why they got their crests. No one ever doubted why Izzy got the crest of knowledge, and he never doubted himself.” Matt explained.

“Where do I fit into this?” I asked curiously.

“On the scale of me to Izzy? You go past Izzy. Your eyes are alluring, and they radiate innocence. On the outside you were a tough tomboy, but on the inside you were the most innocent little girl ever. Your eyes give it away; they’re like a gateway to your soul. Your eyes are exactly the same.” Matt explained.

I smiled and looked down, unable to look at Matt in the face. What he said caught me completely off guard and I was blown away.

“Did I offend you or something?” Matt asked, sounding a little cautious.

I looked back up and beamed at Matt, noticing he had just pulled into the parking lot of this park and was now turning off the engine.

“Oh, not at all. It’s the opposite actually. What you said was really sweet, and I didn’t know how to react. Besides, I have to be a big tough tomboy about it.” I joked.

Matt was silent for a few moments, but then spoke up.

“Good. I meant it as a compliment; I wouldn’t want to offend you. So that’s…good.” Matt stated.

We were silent for a few more moments, as Matt turned off the ignition, pulled his keys from the ignition and leaned back in his car seat.

“So um, shall we go into the park?” Matt asked me, undoing his seat belt and turning to me.

“Sure.” I smiled, grabbing my bag from the floor, opening my door and stepping out.

Matt waited for me at the front of his car, and we both began walking together as I caught up to him.

“Basically, there’s a really nice hill around here that’s above all the trees and gives a great view of Odaiba. Sound good?” Matt asked me.

“Sounds great, I haven’t had the chance to check out Odaiba from afar yet. Besides, this is the last of summer, and school is starting Monday. We should probably check out the great outdoors for as long we can, because before we know it, we’ll be inside rugged up and fighting off colds with a stick.” I replied, as we walked along the path that went slowly uphill.

“Yeah, don’t remind me. Senior year is going to be tough, and it’s going to be so hard to juggle my band, my social life and my school work.” Matt groaned.

“Aww! Cheer up! People say the workload is SO heavy and there’s not enough time to do it all and time goes too fast. Before we know it, we’re going to be graduating!” I grinned.

Matt looked over at me and laughed.

“Sorry Scarlett, but I don’t think it works that way.” Matt giggled.

I was about to reply, but I realised we had reached our destination. I looked up and saw the city and all it’s lights. I always thought cities looked beautiful at night. At day they were also polluted, filthy, gray and littered with people. But at night the silhouettes blended in perfectly with the lights bouncing off them.

Matt, looking at my reaction just smiled at me.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” He asked me.

“Yeah, it really is pretty.” I replied, and sat down on the grass ready for a proper hang out session with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was going to be longer but I have to study for my maths test tonight -_- and I have to write my other stories (even though this is my favourite) so I'm going to break it into 2 parts so I don't miss any vital stuff.