Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter twenty two

The rest of my first day at Odaiba High School went along smoothly. In fact, the first week went by without any hassles. I made a few new friends who were a part of Matt’s friendship group who welcomed me with open arms.

Ah yes, the politics of Odaiba High. I had quickly learned them.

There was something that closely resembled a ‘popular crowd’ as they were tight knit, got invited to parties all the time and the alike. Matt was obviously a part of this crowd, being in a band, good looking and widely adored. Tai was accepted by the popular crowd because he was a good soccer player, he could be funny and he wasn’t that bad looking either, and the main reason was because he’s Matt’s best friend. Sora was part of that friendship group until, well…the break up.

I’ll explain to you what I’ve heard/noticed. Whilst Matt and Sora’s break up was mutual and there were no hard feelings, they were awkward to each other now. It was like they didn’t know how to act around each other nowadays. So Sora stopped hanging around Matt and hung around with a few acquaintances now friends of hers. Tai now sometimes joined them, but he still sometimes hung around Matt’s group too.

Well, until this week. Since they accepted me and I hung around them too, he was always with Sora.

It was now Tuesday morning of the following week. I was in computer class attempting how to build my own website. Izzy had already completed half of his and made it look better than a professional ever could. I was going along slowly, hoping Izzy would offer some help later on.

As I was adding text to the website, the door barged open and a panting Tai fell into the room.

Everybody looked up from their computers, giving Tai a weird stare wondering why he was there.

“What do you want?” The teacher snapped, looking up from his book and looking clearly unamused with Tai’s shenanigans.

“I need to see Izzy and Scarlett right now, it’s an emergency!” Tai panted.

I smiled at Tai’s forced use of my full name. It was so rare to hear him say ‘Scarlett’

“Well state your emergency. I will not just allow two of my students to go wandering around the school when they’re supposed to be in class.” Our I.T. teacher barked, seeming a little less than amused.

“Well you see…” Tai struggled, but I appeared next to him.

“Oh gosh! Tai, you’re the student on duty today to run the principal’s errands aren’t you? Oh my god, please, tell me what’s wrong?” I said quickly, making it easier for Tai to think of an excuse.

“Well um, it’s like this…” Tai trailed off, still unable to think of an excuse.

I gave Izzy a look of panic, and called him over.

“Is it mine and Scarlett’s grandparents? Have they got more news on their critical condition in the hospital?” Izzy asked Tai.

“What’s going on?” Our I.T. teacher asked Izzy and I, seeming a little worried now that Izzy was in on it.

“Mrs Mahakam, Scarlett’s grandparents and my grandparents have been close friends for a long time. They were on their way to a picnic one day when a 16-year-old driver who was hooning around and crashed into them. They’re in a critical condition but the hospital said they would inform us if any more dangers arose.” Izzy said, bowing his head to emphasise his grief.

“Oh my! Scarlett, Izzy that’s HORRIBLE! Please, Mr. Kamiya take these two to wherever you were called from!” The teacher said, now horrified.

“Thanks Mrs Mahakam, sorry to interrupt.” Tai said, bowing his head in politeness as we scampered out.

“See SCAR, if you came up with an excuse like that we would have gotten out earlier!” Tai whined, as we were walking off in a random direction.

“HEY! You’re the one who came bursting into the classroom, YOU needed the excuse. I being the nice person I am was trying to assist you!” I shouted angrily, earning the stares from the classrooms we were walking past “So, what’s up?”

“It’s my digivice. It keeps going off, it hasn’t gone off in a long while. This is what happened when I got pulled into the Digi world just before Kari, T.K., Davis, Yolei and Cody for their D3’s. Are you guys getting anything?” Tai asked Izzy and I.

Izzy pulled out his Digi vice, and it seemed completely normal. Then their eyes turned to me.

“You guys still carry yours around? Don’t look at me, mine’s packed away in a box somewhere.” I said.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Time waster. What if Agumon needs me? What if Renamon needs you! ARGH!” Tai loudly sighed, seeming really angry.

Guilt then consumed me. He was right. He had been pulled into the Digital world at random when he was sixteen, Sora had told me all about it. Agumon needed him. Now all the newer Digi destined could go to the digital world at any point, and we could accompany them if we carried our devices around. What if Renamon needed me? I wouldn’t be there for her due to me not carrying my device around.

“I’ll help you gather up everybody. Sora and Matt are on the west side of the school, T.K., Kari and Yolei will be in the freshman area. The freshman area is just around the corner, how about Izzy gets the freshmen and we find Sora and Matt?” I asked Tai, sighing in defeat.

“Alright.” Tai growled.

“How about we meet at the study rooms just across the hall? They have heaps of computers and it’s always deserted in there.” Izzy suggested.

“Good idea. So um, we should go now.” I said.

Tai did not say anything as he began to run off. I followed him, and we did not speak a word.

We ran throughout the school, as the west side was on the opposite side. We ran through hallways, and then had to run through a computer lab in order to get through to the classroom Matt was in.

However, Tai stopped suddenly.

“Look!” he hissed, pointing to the computer in front of us.

“What?” I asked, looking at some weird program on the screen.

“The Digi port is open. This is weird! Only a D3 can activate it. Something is going on, we’re definitely meant to go through.” Tai informed me.

“If you want, you can go ahead and I can tell all the others to catch up with you. It might just meant to be you who goes through, if you take account of all the circumstances. You should go before it closes.” I said to Tai.

“No way, Scar. There’s no ‘I’ in team. Besides, if it does close, T.K. Kari and Yolei are on their way. They can just open the port again.” Tai said.

“Hm, okay. I guess we should go get Matt and Sora again.” I said, walking away from the computer.

However, just after I had taken two steps I froze, as did Tai. Seconds later, it felt as if I was being sucked into the computer screen that was just behind me.