Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter twenty nine

Our group of ten then began to split up over the next hour. Yolei and Izzy went into Ken’s room to do something on his computer, not being comfortable with the amount of alcohol around and the partying. Kari deciding to be nice, wanted to meet and greet all of Ken’s school friends, with T.K. following her around being worried about her. Davis was loudly flirting with girls in front of Kari, but was having next to no luck. Joe had found another nerd to speak to, and they were both quizzing each other in Chemistry questions in order to prepare themselves for tests coming up. Cody (who was staying sober) had found another kid his age and they were getting to know each other. Sora and Matt still had yet to make an appearance.

So it was now Tai and I on the couch. We weren’t ‘cuddling’ anymore per say, I remembered Sora and immediately felt guilty. I was trying to hint to Tai her feelings and tried to ask him how he felt about her, but he’d only talk about her for a few seconds then went on to change the topic.

I looked around and then noticed how busy this apartment was getting. It wasn’t a raging party with drunken people everywhere, but it had upped its ranks from “gathering” to “party” but there was still enough room to move around. It was probably about twenty or so people now, including our big group.

Tai, who was telling me about his latest soccer match, was interrupted by Davis jumping on the couch in between Tai and I.

“Dude! So I was talking to some of the girls and some of the guys and they said if enough people are interested there’s going to be a seven minutes in heaven!” Davis exclaimed.

“Cool?” I replied.

“So you guys should totally join in. It’d be fun. If Kari doesn’t play, at least I can hope I get you, Scarlett.” Davis grinned.

“You wouldn’t want either of them. Both of them would just sit there and do nothing for seven minutes. Trust me bud, you’re going to hope for someone else, so that something would happen for seven minutes.” Tai stated to Davis, sounding quite short and annoyed.

“Awww man! You’re right. Now I’m not so keen to play anymore.” Davis huffed, crossing his arms.

“You should play. What if Kari gets some loser who tries to pressure her, and then realises what a hunk you are, but she sees she may have competition and will need to react quickly.” I suggested.

“If that were to happen I’d kick the guys ass, but sure, yeah you should play Davis.” Tai stated.

“Alright I will! Only if you two do as well. We need to boost our numbers and no one else is willing to, pleaaaaase?” Davis begged.

“I’m down.” I shrugged, being close to drunk now and not having any reservations whatsoever.

“I guess I’ll look weird if I say no now. Yeah, sure. I’ll play too.” Tai shrugged.

“Thanks you two! I’m going to go round up people and grab Ken now.” Davis gleefully replied, scurrying away.

***

A few people had gone into the room since the game began. Ken rounded everyone up into the lounge room to tell everyone who wanted to play the rules and procedures.

The procedures were that all the girl’s names were put into a hat. The guys’ turn it was would go to the hat and pick out the girls’ name. That would be his partner for the seven minutes. Then they would go to Ken’s room (Yolei and Izzy were annoyed they got kicked out, but were now browsing the internet through Izzy’s laptop), which had been darkened to do whatever they wanted for seven minutes. When their time was up, Ken would knock on the door and politely say “Time is up” and then they would leave, and the process would begin again.

The rules we had all agreed on were that although you can do whatever you want, no mess was to be created. I doubted anyone would go past making out though, so it was a ‘just in case’ rule. The second rule was that no one was allowed to try and listen in, as it was in bad taste. You were also not allowed to ask what happened in the room. What happens in the room stays in the room.

Therefore the party was still going, people weren’t crowded around in the lounge room waiting for their turn. There just happened to be a game of seven minutes in heaven going on.

I was coming back from the fridge with a drink Joe’s brother oh-so-kindly donated, when Tai approached me.

“Look Scarlett, I need to talk to you.” Tai said to me.

Before I could even acknowledge he had spoken to me, Ken grabbed us both.

“You two need to come to the lounge. It’s time up for this couple, so Tai you need to pick a name out of the hat and Scarlett you need to be present in case it’s your name. Which would be pretty funny,” Ken stated, before knocking on his bedroom door “Time’s up!”

Tai and I then went into the lounge room to wait for the couple to come out.

Tai, Davis and I were the only ones from our group who were playing. Because more girls than guys were playing right at the end we were going to force Joe into the cupboard, fun times would be had.

“Tai is going next.” I stated to Davis.

“Oh good luck man! Hopefully you pick a real winner.” Davis winked.

After about a minute, the couple emerged looking sheepish. I laughed at them; it was obvious more than kissing went on, judging by the time it took for them to come out.

Ken then landed in front of Tai, smiling slightly as he offered him the hat. Tai dipped his hand in, poked his tongue out in concentration, ruffled around the papers for a while and finally picked out one.

His only reaction was an amused grin, and without saying a word to me he passed me the slip of paper.

Scarlett.