Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter thirty four

When I awoke the next day, I had no idea if I had a hangover or not. As I had never been drinking before, I didn’t know what one was. I did however, know my mouth was quite dry, and I still felt a little dizzy, as if I was still drunk.

Was I? I didn’t stop drinking until 2am and I did consume quite a lot, but my nightstand said it was nearly 11am and I wasn’t about to slur my words and fall over like I did last night.

I looked to my bedside table and noticed that Matt had left me a note alongside two painkillers and a glass of water.

I smiled at how sweet the thought was, before my stomach dropped and I remembered the whole confrontation at McDonalds.

I had forgotten some parts of the night.

I remembered the pre drinks and getting to the party, and I remembered the first half of the party. I had forgotten some bits in between but remembered playing seven minutes in heaven with Tai….oh god, yes I remember that. I don’t remember ANYTHING after that though, except when I was at McDonalds with Matt because I had started to sober up, even though I was very drunk.

We kissed, Sora and Tai saw, Sora stormed out, Matt took me home. He offered to help me get into some pyjamas and I refused and must have conked out in my dress, because the first thing I remember after that is waking up a few seconds ago.

I ignored the note Matt had left, as I sat up and reached for the water and sculled it down with the two painkillers. I had no idea why I did such an action, I didn’t have a headache. But I wanted this dizziness and grogginess to go away, and I was thirsty.

It was then I focused on the note.

Hey Scarlett,

I have no idea what to write in this note. In fact, I feel like a creep being here whilst you’re knocked out cold. I just wanted to say I enjoyed the kiss we shared. I hope we can pick things up where we left off. Call or text me when you feel like discussing it. I’ll leave you in peace and won’t harass you; I just want you to know the ball is now in your court.

Matt xx

I was a little taken aback at the note. Mostly, the way he signed it. The note was typical Matt. A loner who had no idea how to best express his feelings. But he signed an ‘x’ at the end. That was a risky move to him, and it showed he held some feelings for me.

I decided the safest way right now was to text him. We’d both be more in our comfort zones if we had more time to reply, and I felt a little embarrassed about getting drunk in front of Matt last night.

Not to mention the whole Sora drama, but I’d deal with that later.

I grabbed my phone, and decided to write out the text before putting in Matt’s number in case I clicked ‘send’ before I meant to.

Hey Matt! Thanks for the water and stuff, helped heaps. How’s your morning been so far?

I decided to play it nice and casual, he could take it how he wanted. The “ball” may be in my court, but I would wait for him to instigate anyway. He now knew I was interested.

I was surprised when I got a reply about five minutes later. I was expecting to wait about twenty minutes for a reply but he replied quickly.

No worries, hope you’re feeling okay haha. Oh, by the way, mum left a message last night, apparently her and your mum hired a hotel room for an all weekend bender and they won’t be home until Sunday.

I smiled a bit, this conversation was a little forced, but Matt was still at ease with me even though we were dancing around the topic of “what happens now?” I decided to keep dancing around.

Oh god, I don’t even want to think about the mischief they’re gonna get up to. Mid life crisis much? Aren’t you at your Dad’s this weekend anyway?

Matt took a little longer to reply to this one. In fact, when he hadn’t replied by the ten-minute mark, I decided to go have a shower. I peeled off my dress and got under the hot water. My hair was oily from last night, but hard from the hairspray I used so I decided to wash it.

When I shut off the water, I heard my phone’s message tone from my room. I wrapped a towel around myself, and decided to check the message before I got dressed and combed my hair. Matt took a long time to reply, and I was feeling anxious.

Yeah I’m at Dad’s. She did call me “T.K.” in the message and seemed fairly drunk so I guess the voicemail wasn’t for me. Look, I’m not trying to be awkward, but I think we should meet up. Beating around the bush is silly, that kiss was special last night and why torture ourselves? But if you disagree, then I guess we shouldn’t.

I was glad I checked my phone first. I could hear the bitterness and coldness in that message. Matt was putting up a wall just in case, and even so, he was vulnerable. I wanted things to work out with Matt. I liked Matt. I couldn’t keep him waiting; every second that went by was diminishing the chances of Matt and I becoming “Matt and I” again.

I’d love to meet up! We don’t have much to discuss, I think we’re on the same wavelength :)
I then went to the bathroom to finish combing my hair. I heard my message tone go off but because I had huge knots, I kept combing them out. Five minutes later, I went to my room to check my phone.

Sounds good. I’ll be at yours in 15.

“HOLY SHIT!” I screamed, knowing how I looked right now. Wet hair, no make-up, in my pyjamas.

I took way too much time deciding which one to fix first. I had about ten minutes, if that. Hair would take too long. I could always change my clothes when he gets here, tell him to wait a second and put some on. Make-up I can’t, that would be too weird and I wouldn’t want him to see me like this.

I ran into the bathroom and applied my make-up. Just as I was doing my mascara, I heard a knock at the door. I quickly did my mascara, and shoved my make-up bag into a draw before running to the door to answer it.

“Hey Matt,” I smiled before indicating to my clothes “I haven’t had time to change yet.”

“Well, you’ve cleaned yourself up nicely I must admit. Whilst you didn’t look horrible last night, you slept in your dress and didn’t wash your face. I’d hate to think how much you would have freaked out if I saw you this morning when you first woke up.” Matt laughed.

“Yeah I did look like a bit of a train wreck. But now I’ve showered and feel much better.” I smiled, even though it wasn’t anything to smile about. I guess Matt makes me smile.

“You look amazing. Not hungover at all. Which is a bit of a pity, because I bought you hangover food…” Matt trailed off.

“You bought food?” I asked, realising for the first time I was actually hungry.

“I sure did. Since we ate McDonalds last night, I knew you wouldn’t want that. So instead I got you a greasy Whopper from Burger King. Perfect hangover cure, even if you aren’t hungover.” Matt said, passing me a Burger King bag.

“I don’t even know what a hangover is, but this is probably pretty close. I don’t have a headache, but I feel a little sick and feel very groggy.” I admitted, finally stepping to the side to let Matt inside.

“Yep, symptoms of a hangover. Eat. You’ll feel better.” Matt said to me, as I shut the door and walked over to my lounge.

“Alright. But then we’re getting down to business!” I stated.

“If you want to call it that.” Matt smirked.
♠ ♠ ♠
...this is going to be a looooong story.