Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter thirty five

Matt and I ate in silence. I guess some of it would be due to the fact that what we were about to discuss was serious and should be done when we weren’t distracted. A major contributor, however, was that I was scoffing down my food and incapable of speaking.

It was only when I was done that Matt spoke up.

“So…” Matt began, a small smile on his face.

“So…”I mimicked, catching onto his smile.

“There isn’t any way to make this less awkward is there?” Matt asked.

“I suppose, but it doesn’t have to be awkward. I like you, you like me. Simple,” I stated, “Unless I’m incorrect?”

“No, no way. You’re amazing and I’m glad that part is simple. What is difficult though, are situations surrounding it.” Matt defended.

“Sora.” I simply stated.

“Well, yeah. That and you and I broke up for a reason. That may arise again.” Matt admitted.

I felt a small pang hit my stomach. Matt was still annoyed I had gone to the Digital World with Tai (Although he believed that Tai and I went to my house, I had kept the truth a secret to this day) That I couldn’t help, I got sucked in! I hadn’t gone back since that ordeal, it made me too sad. Now Matt didn’t want me, Sora hated me for kissing her ex, and the small thing (or should I say dirty thing) with Tai would never grow I guess I deserve this. I did many things wrong last night, and in one-way or another they were catching up to me.

“Are you still annoyed at what happened when I went to my house with Tai due to panic of not having my device on me?” I asked Matt.

“No. Are you still annoyed that I broke up with you over it?” Matt shot back.

“No.” I replied.

“I see.” Was all Matt said.

“Then there are no real issues besides Sora. Our parents would be thrilled at us getting together, officially this time. T.K. seemed to be. Our mutual friends keep dropping less than subtle hints; well they did before we stopped talking. Tai will be annoyed at you but psh, his fault. Then there is Sora, the only real issue.” I explained.

“There’s one other small issue as well that Sora never really took well. My fan girls.” Matt stated, looking a little embarrassed.

I began to chuckle loudly at his revelation.

“Matt, it’s all good. It’s all in how you take it. The girlfriend can either wait at home and wonder what her rock star boyfriend is up to and what his fan girls are doing. Or, she can be interested in what he is doing, hold her head up high and loudly exclaim to the fan girls she is wit the band and they are not,” I explained “Which one do you think Scarlett Lancer is?”

Matt looked at me wearily, but when he saw my expression didn’t falter and I meant what I said, he smiled.

“Okay. But that one will be taken in baby steps. You can say something, but it becomes a whole new reality once it folds out.” Matt said.

“True. But I already argued with some of your fan girls in a line, it was fun. I’m keen to do it again.” I giggled.

“Well that’s one less thing to worry about. But that brings us back to our main issue.” Matt said, his face growing serious by the second sentence.

“Look, I’m already over this whole Sora crap. I like, you like me. That’s all there is to it. In theory I always thought it was pretty bad to date a friend’s ex, but in practise when you fall for someone, that seems to take priority. I’m sure Sora would come around one day, but for now it’s going to be a little awkward.” I stated.

“That’s true. I’m just worried about it for your sake. I wanted to go public on day one, you were just the one that was worried about it.” Matt sighed.

“I know. But it’s public by now, I’m sure Sora has ranted to a lot of people. We don’t really have much of a choice now. I think it’s been long enough for Sora to entertain the idea too. I’ve dropped a lot of hints that we like each other. I shouldn’t have said I would never do that to her by dating one of her exes, that’s probably what got us into such a situation, I’ve outright lied to her. But I kept digging for her reaction, hoping for her to say ‘no be happy’ or something. It never came.” I explained.

“She’ll come around. In fact, I’m a little disappointed that she hasn’t already. She’s always been kind and understanding; I thought she’d understand. Look at Tai; maybe one of the most hot headed guys on the planet. He’d liked Sora since Kindergarten. A little over two years ago, Sora and I started having feelings for each other. He stood aside and had no issues with it, although he had feelings for Sora, and for a lengthy amount of time at that, he was going to sacrifice his own feelings so two of his friends could be happy together. I’m disappointed that we did not get the same treatment from Sora. I thought she was better than that.” Matt said.

“Wait, does Tai still like Sora?” I asked, a plan forming in my head.

“I’m not sure. They do spend a lot of time together, a lot more than when I was going out with her. But he could have given up on her thinking they will never be together, but can you really let go of those kind of feelings after so many years?” Matt questioned.

“Well, the reason I ask is because Sora is crazy about Tai now. She kept saying she went for the wrong guy, and it took her this long, but she’s always meant to be with Tai. I think she’s just a little bitter you moved on before she did, and you easily walked into a new relationship.” I admitted.

Matt looked at me funny, and was silent for a few seconds then spoke up.

“Well that’s a little hypocritical of her. It’s meant to be a bad thing to go for your friend’s ex, but it’s just as bad to go for your ex’s friend. As much as I’d like to, I won’t say anything because I know this is one of the things you’re not meant to tell me. But I think you should say something about it to her.” Matt mentioned.

“I will. But I think it’s justified to give her some space. Having an ex you share so many memories with now going out with your best friend is something to deal with. I’m sure she’ll come around, but it would be a bit of a shock.” I insisted.

“So we’re on the same page? From now on, we’re in the open? I think we may have just resolved the one issue that had been hanging over our heads since day one.” Matt smiled, and it was now I realised he was smiling a lot more than usual.

“I think so.” I smiled back.

“I know Sora. She will definitely understand, at least in some point in time. She also appreciates it when someone puts in the effort to make things right. I think you should attempt to communicate with her to explain your feelings, but only briefly so that she can approach you when the time is right.” Matt suggested.

“Yeah, you’re right. Here, I’ll do it now.” I agreed.

I got out my phone, and let my fingers do the walking. I didn’t hesitate the way I did earlier today when I was texting Matt. Quite frankly I wasn’t as nervous, which said a lot. Sora hated me, and I could possibly talk my way out of it, but I didn’t really care. I wanted to send Matt texts about nothing in particular, and even though I had inkling he liked me, I was nervous as hell. I think that said a lot.

I’m sorry things turned out the way they did

It was the truth. I wasn’t going to give Sora a long sob story, she’d see right through it and I didn’t want to lie to her. I was sorry that I fell for her ex, and she had to find out that way. I just wasn’t going to break off things with Matt. I liked him too much.

Sora took no hesitation in replying either.

Leave me alone

I showed Matt the message, and he winced.

“Well, I guess things can only get better from here.” He winced.