Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter thirty six

When I walked into school on Monday, the reactions of the people who were around me were different than what I expected. I expected everyone to look onto Matt and I and whisper, especially since we walked in hand-in-hand.

Matt had come to get me, with T.K. in the backseat. T.K. was oddly quiet, and for reasons I would find out soon. I did manage to get out of him that Kari and him had a ‘more than friends date’ the following Friday night. So the car ride was mostly quiet, but Matt grabbed my hand every time he stopped at traffic lights. It made me feel a little better.

Until he parked at school, that is. Then I was nervous. Matt’s fan girls attacked Sora in the line that one time and she’s his ex, what would happen to me? Not to mention I had Sora and Tai in my homeroom, the two people I wronged that night. I couldn’t hide behind text messages anymore; this was about to become very real.

Which is why Matt grabbed my hand, and lead me into the school. So far, people only took small glances; there was no prolonged looks or whispering. The whole school knew about Matt’s fame and it was well known he was the most popular boy in school. Majority of senior year knew I was best friends with Sora (Thanks to Matt’s popularity I was thrust into the spotlight as everyone knew we were friends) so this was a big drama.

“Do you need me to walk to your homeroom?” Matt offered me.

“No…I’ll be okay. The sooner I get this over and done with, the better.” I replied.

“Too bad, I’m coming anyway. If Sora has anything to say to you, she can say it to me too, considering I’m the one she dated. I’m not letting her take it out on you, and you alone.” Matt stated.

“Well…okay then. But I need to go to my locker first.” I weakly smiled.

Matt finally let go of my hand when we arrived at his locker. I sniggered at his locker, it was perfectly arranged. The bottom had space for his over-the-shoulder bag, and the top had all his folders in alphabetical order, with his pencil case neatly on top of his folders. His locker was the neatest I’d ever seen, hands down. It gave every girl a run for her money.

Then, we arrived at mine. Mine wasn’t too messy yet, but come a few months time it would be like a bomb went off. I still had my folders stacked up, but under where my bag went a few fly away papers had landed, and were getting scrunched up everyday I put my bag there.

I had a double spare this morning, so I got out English and History homework to complete in my spare.

Then, Matt and I were onto homerooms, well to be specific, my homeroom.

“This is it.” I sighed loudly, arriving at the closed door.

“You’ll be okay Scarlett. I’ll stay with you for about five minutes, then I’ll have to go to my home room and we’ll meet up at lunch.” Matt stated, giving me a squeeze of my hand.

I said nothing as we both walked in.

It seemed…normal. Sora was sitting next to Tai, who was sitting on the table talking to her. Alyssa was also speaking to them.

“Everything seems normal.” I said to Matt.

“Alright, but hang on. Let me assess the situation first.” Matt said, and pulled me towards the trio before I could go and sit somewhere else.

“Hey Matt, Scarlett. Have you heard the news and come to congratulate the happy new couple?” Alyssa asked us.

“Which new couple?” I asked, cocking my head.

“Why, Tai and Sora of course. They got together yesterday, apparently.” Alyssa grinned.

I felt two emotions run through me as Alyssa revealed the news.

Firstly, the expected one of happiness. I was happy that Sora got what she wanted. I was happy the two people who were meant to be together finally were, and I was happy that maybe the Matt and I drama would melt away.

But at the same time I felt weird. I wasn’t upset, but the news didn’t settle with me. The only emotion to describe it was I felt weird, full stop. Not knowing why didn’t help either. I mean sure Tai and I did what we did on Saturday, but it didn’t stop me from getting together with Matt yesterday.

“Wow, that’s great. I’m so happy for you, you’ll make the perfect couple.” I smiled at both Tai and Sora.

“Thanks, I know.” Sora beamed.

I was taken a back a little. She seemed…well, all right. Maybe things would be okay after all.

Mat seemed to sense this too. He looked as me and winked.

“Well, I just wanted to escort Scarlett to homeroom, but it’s great hearing that news as well. Congratulations you two, you ready will make the perfect couple. I’ll see you all around.” Matt said, flashing everybody a smile, before grabbing my hand one more time for a quick squeeze and heading out.

To be on the safe side, I took my seat next to Alyssa. Things might be okay, but I wasn’t going to take any chances.
“So, are there any announcements you have to make Scarlett?” Sora asked me.

I thought about it. I had two options. On one hand I could tell her the news and be upfront about it and get it over and done with. That would be the truthful way.

But would it be the right thing to do? Sora just announced that her and Tai are going out. It would be rude to announce the same time, same day that Matt and I decided yesterday we would give each other a shot too.

Even if we got together first and Sora and Tai are only together because of Matt and I, theirs was a bigger deal. It was a long time coming, and it would be rude to not give them their moment.

“Um, no, not at this time anyway.” I shrugged.

I was quite proud of my answer. It said to Sora I had nothing to hide, and it was nearly truthful, and would truthful according to her. It would make her believe Matt and I kissed and nothing had happened…yet.

However, this was not the case. Nobody saw what was coming next.

“WHATEVER! YOU DUMB BITCH. I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, YOU AND MATT KISSED AND NOW YOU’RE TOGETHER. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS WOULD HAPPEN. THE WAY YOU WERE CONSTANTLY DIGGING FOR MY REACTION.” Sora shouted at me.

The whole class turned to look, and as the door was open I could see people in other classrooms and in the hallway turned to look.

It was quite surprising though. Sora was definitely one of the most level headed girls in our year level who had never gotten into a catfight. To hear her call someone a ‘bitch’ and argue about her ex-boyfriend, well this was definitely a first.

When she noticed all the attention she was getting, she backed down.

“Um…I need to get out of here.” She quietly squeaked, packing up her books and running out.

Tai, who hadn’t gotten any books out grabbed his backpack, slung it over one shoulder and ran after Sora.

Then, the attention turned to me.

“Alright, there you go. It’s announced. Sora and Tai are officially together, and Matt and I are officially together. What an announcement.” I stated loudly, quite annoyed, before putting my head on my desk covered by my arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was meant to be out a long time ago, so long ago that I don't even remember the reason why I didn't post it. Sorry. A lot of bad stuff came up over Christmas, preventing me from posting the finished document sitting on my computer.