Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter four

A lot has happened since that summer, six years ago. When we were sent to the Digi World.

At the end of the camp, everybody promised to keep in touch. This happened for the first 6 months or so. I regularly got emails from Sora, Matt, Izzy, Joe and Mimi. I even got emails from Kari telling me how she was going (I would later find out Sora helped her send these when she was at Tai’s house)

Tai even kept his word of sending me spam emails. This didn’t work out well; I just easily unsubscribed from all e-newsletters he signed me up to. In order to get him back, I went onto message boards filled with dirty old men and continually posted ’Hot 15 year old ready to do anything on cam ;) email me’ and would leave Tai’s email address.

Needless to say, Tai’s spam emails stopped instantly, and to be fair I deleted all those messages and never posted anymore.

Not too long after the spam emails stopped from Tai, I lost regular contact with most. Joe began to get very busy with his schoolwork, so he didn’t have time to email me. I’m guessing Matt realised we weren’t very close, so continuing regular contact was kind of pointless. Izzy kept emailing me for a while, but even his emails began to decline over time.

Six years later, Sora and Mimi are the only ones I still talk to. Mimi moved to New York, and we exchanged emails maybe once a month updating each other on the latest news. The same setup was arranged with Sora, however she was still in Odaiba and still saw everybody nearly every day.

Every now and again she’d also give me updates on the others, thinking I still cared. Whilst I wasn’t completely cynical and was willing to listen to what she had to say, as they were her friends, I didn’t feel I necessarily had to know the happenings in their lives. To me they were now just a group of people I spent summer camp with a few years back, even if we all shared the greatest adventure of our lives.

Tai started playing soccer again, and was quite good at it.

Matt was the lead singer and guitarist of some band, with all the teenyboppers in the area being obsessed with the band and him.

Joe got accepted into a private school, and had good grades but had no social life.

Izzy was the computer nerd he’s always been, and was dominating the I.T. classes at school.

Kari was now in high school, and some kid named Davis was obsessed with her.

T.K. (who’s mum had moved to Odaiba to be closer to her other son as well) was hated on by that same Davis kid because him and Kari were best friends.

Sora herself was keeping out of drama and just trying to survive high school (the words she used) I thought it sounded pretty suss, but she never did seem keen to elaborate when asked.

So that’s how the gang have changed. I however, have changed also.

After years of abuse for being overweight I decided to finally cave and stop going from ‘who cares if I’m overweight? I’d rather be overweight than underweight, screw you!’ to ‘Okay, I’m overweight because I actually am unhealthy not because I was born with it like some other people are. Let’s do this.’ And lost a LOT of weight. It turns out I had quite a nice figure underneath all that flab.

Yes, insert that whole political correctness speech here of there’s nothing wrong with being overweight or underweight. Really, there’s not. If you’re meant to be that way, you’re that way. Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes, but in saying that I wasn’t the shape I was meant to be. You have no idea how unhealthy my lifestyle was. So I fixed that, and became the figure I was always meant to have.

My tastes also changed when it came to clothing, and even my attitude on life. Because I was a lot healthier, I felt healthier. I was far less cynical, and began to see the good side in life. Although I still had no friends in my town, I was now just invisible, and not bullied. Being a lot happier made me dress a lot more girlie than I used to, and it also complimented my figure.

The biggest change had happened recently though. How to put this as lightly as I can…you see my dad decided to be a perverted idiot and have an affair with a girl the same age as me (eighteen) and my mum decided to get the HELL out of there, and not ‘fix’ their effed up marriage.

She packed her bags and moved out a few days after she caught them in his car, she went to her closest friend. That friend is Nancy, the mother of T.K. and Matt, who had moved to Odaiba about three years ago now. Unfortunately there was no room in that apartment for an extra person (Nancy offered and said I was welcome, but with her, T.K., Matt and my mother in a small apartment there really was no room I couldn’t be rude) so I had to stay with dad most of the summer.

He tried to make amends with me, but after ignoring him all summer he gave up. I hated him, so he thought if he ‘gave it time and gave me space’ I’d come around. HELL TO THE NO.

At the end of the summer, Mum found a nice place to rent until the divorce was finalised and she’d get money from him to buy a house (Shared assets and all that) and I was able to move in.

That day was today, ladies and gentleman. I had just touched down in Odaiba, and was waiting to get off the plane and see my mother waiting to pick me up.

I would be reunited with my ‘digi pals’ and I was quite excited to see Sora. Whilst it would be nice to see how the others have changed, I wasn’t expecting them to be my best friends and us to all hang out like we did at summer camp.

So much has changed, they’ve all changed, and the friendship deteriorated between them and I. I’d be civil towards them, but at the end of the day I was expecting to make new friends.