Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter eight

“So um, I’ll be honest with you, I’m not quite sure where the cups are. But I have a slight hunch the soda just may be in the fridge.” I winked at Matt.

“Oh, just a hunch hey?” Matt grinned, poking me on the side.

I cocked my head to the side. It was NEVER like Matt to act playful at all, let alone this playful. This could also be seen as a MAJOR sign of flirting.

Matt didn’t notice my confusion as he went to the fridge, and pulled out a bottle of Cola. He took them out to the table, and I could hear him pouring them. He returned soon after, leaning on the counter against me.

He said nothing, but I could feel his eyes on me. Feeling a little insecure, I decided to address him.

“What?” I asked, as calmly as I could.

“It’s um, nothing. I don’t know, I don’t want to be rude.” Matt said, scratching his arm.

“It’s rude to keep somebody in suspense after dropping a hint. Go on.” I smirked.

“It’s the way you’re stirring the meat in the stir fry. It’s not a bad method, but there’s an easier one I usually use when I have to cook for T.K. and myself.” Matt replied.

“Oh, right…” I replied, unsure of what to say.

“Yeah, this is why I didn’t want to tell you. I knew you’d take offense.” Matt said, awkwardly looking down and shifting his weight.

“No no, it’s okay. Trust me. I asked, I kind of just didn’t know what to say, that’s all.” I smiled, finding his awkwardness kind of cute, in a non-romantic way.

“Well then, may I?” Matt asked, pointing to the pan and spatula I was holding.

“Sure.” I said, and stepped aside to let him hold the spatula.

However, instead of taking the spatula and showing me, he crept up behind me and took my arms. He didn’t get too close to me, so his body wasn’t against mine or his head wasn’t on my shoulder but it was still a little too close for comfort. I kind of just went with the flow to get this over and done with.

He let his hands go softly up my arms, giving me chills from the small tickle feeling of the skin on skin contact. When he grabbed my wrists, he grabbed it tightly. He let his second hand then grabbed the handle of the frying pan, making a tight grip also.

Then he began to stir like crazy. Because of how difficult it was to keep a distance, keep a grip and stir fast, he had to get closer and closer to my body until he was lightly pressed against my back.

And then, it stopped. He let go of my wrist, moved away from my body and resumed his spot leaning on the counter. There were no lingering touched, no smooth words and pretty much no flirting.

I think I’m just jumping to conclusions. Matt always was the type to help out, I’m sure that hasn’t changed at all.

I smiled and thanked him, and began to use his method of stirring the food.

***

“That was absolutely delicious! Thanks Scarlett!” T.K. said, rubbing his stomach as he finished off his meal.

“Thanks, but it was one of those meals you eat because it’s healthy, not because it’s restaurant quality. I’m sure Matt is an excellent cook.” I shrugged, being modest.

“I can cook, but it’s not this healthy.” Matt said, coming to my defence.

I just shrugged.

“So Kari, why couldn’t Tai make it tonight? You didn’t give a reason.” T.K. said, and everyone’s attention turned to Kari.

“I um…think it had something to do with soccer practise.” Kari stammered out, giving me a look of worry.

“That’s okay. I’m sure I’ll see him around. It’s not that important.” I shrugged, giving Kari a kind smile but she still looked a little uneasy.

“I can call him, he’ll take time out of his day to answer a call from his best friend. Then we can all say hi.” Matt suggested, getting out his phone.

“Matt, don’t. It’s not a good idea.” Kari said, sounding like she was pleading with Matt.

He chose to ignore her as he got his phone out, and seconds later he had put his phone in front of him on the table, loudspeaker turned on. He motioned for all of us to be quiet.

Tai answered only after a couple of rings.

“Hey Matt! What’s up? Are you at Scarlett’s dinner thing?” I heard Tai’s voice say.

It sounded exactly the SAME! Just as boyish, just as carefree. It didn’t annoy me like it used to, but it was strange to hear that voice I used to loathe and now just feel so apathetic about it.

“Yeah I am man, hey why couldn’t you make it? It’s been a pretty awesome evening. Dinner was quite tasty.” Matt asked casually.

“You actually went? Why? I wouldn’t have gone to that dinner if the world depended on it. Besides, knowing Scarlett’s weight, her eating habits would be awful. I couldn’t imagine how much grease would be in her cooking. Blargh!” I heard Tai say, insulting me with every word and giving a fake dry retch at the end.

Everyone’s eyes turned to me, looking at me with a look of apology. I just looked down, and made an ‘o’ shape with my mouth.

“Hey, she’s actually lost a lot of weight, she looks good. The food she made was really healthy too, way healthier than I or even my mother cooks.” Matt said, defending me.

“Hey, whatever man. Whose side are you on anyway? I’ll call you back later when you don’t need to defend her. Bye.” Tai muttered, hanging up the phone.

“Bye.” Matt said sarcastically to the now dead line.

“Look, Scarlett I’m really sorry. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to hurt your feelings. I didn’t think you’d ever know the real reason why. I’m sorry for lying.” Kari apologised, looking guilty.

“Hey! Don’t apologise, you did the right thing. I guess uh, Tai and I didn’t have the best relationship in the past and of course he’s not going to volunteer to spend time with me. It’s cool.” I smiled.

She still looked a little guilty, and everybody looked down at the table awkwardly. Just as Matt was about to speak up, the doorbell rang.

“How about I get that.” I said in a faux cheerful voice, scampering off to get the door.