Her Royal Decision

The Decision.

“Are you brave enough to leave with me tonight?” he asked me with his kind, earnest blue eyes. Those eyes that I have grown to detest yet fall absolutely in love with each time I see them. In that moment I was quite tempted to elope with him. The idea of abandoning everything that was held responsible with, everything that everyone is expecting me to do and the title that I have to live up to.

It is difficult for me, to be honest. There are so many things that I am obligated to do and say, even if I don’t want to do it. Of course, like mother always says, I was born for my people. I live for my people. The people must always be put first.

After all, I am a princess.

“Princess?” he said, for I was at an apparent loss for words. In truth, I was very preoccupied by my own thoughts.

I looked up at the dark night sky speckled with stars as brilliant as rare diamonds. I wonder, what would the night look like without the stars to shine forever? Would it be just as black and malevolent as an evil doer’s heart? Would we all have to suffer eternal rain, because the sky would mourn its great and unbearable loss? Or would we all die along with the stars?

“I don’t know,” I whispered as I fixed my eyes on Orion’s Belt, avoiding his aquamarine gaze. It was the truth. A princess never lies.

Suddenly, I felt his hand cup my chin gently, urging me to meet his eyes.

“Are you leaving with me, Princess Serena?”

I could have cried, because my mind was spinning madly it began to hurt me. I would have to give up everything. I would have to give up my throne. I would never see my family ever again. Where would we go? What shall we do once we arrive at our destination? What would become of my kingdom?

But I did not cry. Instead, I faced him proudly and spoke with full conviction like the true princess that I am.

“I cannot. I must stay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be lovely!
This was just something to get me going for my other story.
(It didn't work.)