Sweet Child Of Mine

Part Thirty Two

Valary's POV

It was another beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon in Huntington. And with beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoons in Huntington, comes the equally as joyous BBQ. Matt had jumped at the chance of hosting the BBQ this time, although we do usually host it anyway.

Everyone was here and when I say everyone I mean everyone. All the guys, Jimmy, Zacky, Brian and Johnny, and their girls, Gena, Michelle and Lacey, were all here. Brian and Matt had declared themselves as joint head chef, whilst myself and the girl and Jimmy and Zacky sat around in the chairs on the decking, with beverages in hand.

There was also a new guest at out 'extended family' BBQ. Jay. Now don't get me wrong, it took much convincing from myself and Alex, until Matt finally caved in and allowed Jay to come along. Jay and Alex were sitting on the floor by the pool facing each other. I could see the way Jay looked at Alex with adoration in his eyes.

"Look at them two." I cooed, looking over at the young couple.

"Yeah," Michelle smiled agreeing with me. "Those two are just so cute together."

Lacey spoke next. "Alex was telling me about their first date when she stayed with me and Johnny," she continued. "It was so sweet the way he looked after her. "

"At least Alex had a good first date."Gena grumbled. "Zacky threw up on my shoes when we were at the movies."

"Hey that was a dodgy hot dog in my defense!" Zacky protested quickly.

A slight yelp gained everyones attention, as we all looked at Alex and Jay. They were pretending to push each other into the pool, but caught one another before they fell into the water.

"Who do Jay and Alex remind you of?" Jimmy asked to everyone that was seated.

It seemed as though I was the only one that didn't click, because the girls all rolled their eyes at me.

Johnny laughed as he said the answer. "Jeeze Val, slow much? It's you and Matt! High school sweethearts! Couldn't leave each other alone....and still can't." he trailed off.

I blushed a deep red and tried to cover it up by having a drink. But it was too late they had already seen the tint on my cheeks.

Not much later, Matt and Brian approached the table with plates of all the BBQ food that was ready. "Alex! Jay! Come and eat!" Matt yelled down to the kids.

They soon appeared at the table and pulled up chairs, but before they could sit next to each other, Matt dragged his chair in between Alex and Jay, keeping them separate. Alex glared at her father as Matt bite into a burger. Noticing his daughter glaring at him, Matt looked at her. "What?" But it came out muffled due to the large amount of part chewed burger currently in his mouth.

"Gross Dad!" Alex cringed, before starting to join the rest of us eating.

After eating and tidying away, everyone finally settled down as the day was beginning to turn into evening and then into night. Jay had to leave not too long ago, as his parents wanting him to get home for some reason.

By now the sky was as black as well...night. We'd lit a few candles here and there for light, which created a soft light around the group of us. Everyone had seemed to separate off into their couples: Johnny and Lacey, Michelle and Brian, Zacky and Gena and myself and Matt. Alex and Jimmy kept each other company, as Jay had gone home and Jimmy, who was still in contact with Jenny.

A it was cold, we had blankets or hoodies to keep up all warm as it seemed a shame to spoil such a nice evening. As we continued to talk in our group, I noticed that Matt excused himself from the gathering and beckoned Brian to follow him. Before I could question what he was doing, Alex quickly gained my attention.

"Val? Have you talked to dad anymore about getting a dog?" she asked.

I shook my head. "I haven't had chance, but trust me I'll get him on outside." I grinned at her. Alex smiled back at me, before turning to continued to continue her conversation about Jimmy.

I was just about to stand up to find Matt, when he appeared behind my seat and bent down and kissed the side of my head. "You had a good night Val?" He asked, sitting back down next to me.

"Yeah. It's been brilliant. The weathers been good and everyones been in a good mood." I smiled back at him.

Brian seemed to be grinning at Matt, as Michelle looked at Brian like he was up to something. Matt had a small smile on his lips as he nodded at him.

"Uh Val..." Matt trailed off standing up. "I have something I want to say...It's been playing on my mind for quite some time now." He said softly, but cached a glance at me at every other word he spoke.

Everyone feel silent, as their attention was firmly on myself and Matt. I could also work out a knowing smile on Alex's face, which just added to my confusion.

"I knew from the moment I met you that I would one day be asking you this and I'm glad I am sooner rather than later." Matt continued, this time looking me fully in the eyes. Slowly, Matt began to bend down on his one knees, as he reached into his pocket. "Valary, I've decided to seize the day..." He pulled out a small black voice. "Will you marry me?" He quickly opened to reveal a beautiful ring.

My hands flew up to my mouth as I gasped in surprise. Words just couldn't make a coherent sentence in my head, as my eyes became wide. "Matt..I-I don't know what to say!" I smiled, my hands moving to cover my heart.

"Well yes would be a good start." Alex rolled her eyes, earning a quiet chuckle from all of us.

Tears began to line my eyes. "Yes Matt. Yes of course I'll marry you!" I squealed.

A huge grin took over Matt's face as his shaky hands slipped the ring onto my finger. I quickly grabbed his head and pressed my lips against his, as his huge hands framed my face.

Rounds of applause, cheering and yelling began to fill the background as the guys, girls and Alex began to cheer for us.

"I love you so much Matt." I smiled, pulling away from his lips.

"But I love you so much more." He replied, leaning his forehead against mine.

"Yay for a wedding!" Alex cheered from behind Matt. I quickly understood that she was in on the plan all along. Jumping up onto her chair, like a hyper active three year old, Alex exclaimed "I call chief bridesmaid!"
♠ ♠ ♠
This was very rushed. But I needed to get it out.

Two or Three more parts left.
As much as I love this story, I'm glad it's coming to an end soon, as I've spent alot of time on it

Enjoy.
x