Telescope Eyes

mr. incredible

Colton’s laugh rang through the air as he took his hands and rubbed the red sauce all over Micah’s face. “Colton!” She giggled, picking up her son and carrying him into the bathroom. “You made such a mess! Clean yourself up and your pizza will be done when you get out.”

“Yes Mama,” the little boy giggled, taking off his shirt and closing the door behind her.

Micah chuckled as she walked back into the kitchen and placed three personal pizzas in the oven. She cleaned up her kitchen as they were expecting company; they had invited John over for dinner and a movie.

Micah finished some chores around the house, just on time as she heard a knock on the living room door. She smiled as she saw the door already opened by a little boy who was scooped up off the floor and raised above John’s head.

Colton laughed, “Mom, John’s here!”

“What did I say about answering the door, Colton? It could have been a stranger,” she scolded.

“But it wasn’t,” he smiled.

She chuckled at the attitude her four year old was already developing. “Hi John,” she smiled, giving the man a hug.

“Hey there,” he grinned. “Sorry, I’m late. Band practice went longer than I thought…”

“It’s okay, Colton had to take a shower anyways after making a mess of himself,” she said, narrowing her eyes at her grinning child. “Speaking of the food should actually be done. “Why don’t you two pick a movie?”

Micah could hear the boys arguing over who was better—Spiderman or Batman before they eventually agreed on The Incredibles. The three sat on the couch, watching the movie with some interruptions due to Colton’s giggles as he interacted the movie for them.

“Mom, I got it!” Colton yelled in the middle of the movie, sitting up on his knees and looking at her seriously. “John is Mister Incredible, I’m Dash, and you’re Elasti-girl!”

She chuckled as the boys ran around the room playing ‘The Incredibles’. She collected their plates from the table and took them to the kitchen, washing all of the other silverware as well.

She couldn’t help but to wonder how everything got this way. When did she stop partying and give up her life for a child? Would John be able to keep this up? He was doing great—but would it last?

Micah listened as a familiar beeping noise came from her computer and she could hear Colton’s little feet dash over to it.

“Eric!” He screamed happily.

She walked around the corner and froze as she saw John and Eric staring at one another through the computer screen. She physically couldn’t move—she was in shock. This would be their first time speaking, the three of them, since John found out.

Micah was scared to death.

“Hey buddy,” Eric smiled warmly, glancing over to John wearily. “Where’s your mom at?”

Colton craned his neck, and pointed when he saw her, “Over there! Eric this is my new friend John. He’s mama’s friend and now he’s my friend and now he can be your friend too.”

John smiled softly and put his hand on Colton’s back, “You wanna know something cool, Colton? Eric and I have known each other since we were five years old.”

Colton grinned and counted, “I’m almost five years old!”

“Yeah you are, kiddo, very good,” Eric smiled. “Micah, you can come out of hiding now.”

Micah laughed softly and walked from where she was frozen. She took a seat next to John on the couch and smiled sweetly at Eric, “Hey there, Eric.”

“Hi beautiful,” he said simply, looking at only her. “So, Colton, you’ll never guess what I did today.”

Micah listened to the boys all talk about the beach, sights they had seen on tour, and everything else in-between. She let John and Eric talk the most and even though it was awkward at first the tension seemed to subside after a while.

These boys had each been her entire world at some point in her life—they were her family. And seeing them like this, all together, laughing, was the best thing she could possibly ask for.

Eric’s eyes looked over them and a small, melancholy full smile was on his lips. She followed his eyes before she landed on the small picture in the corner of the screen.

Colton was sitting between her and John, a big grin on his lips. His hair was tousled just like John’s and his eyes matched his exactly. He had Micah’s rosy pink cheeks and sweet laugh.

Colton really was a perfect mix of the two and as Micah looked at them in the screen she could understand the underlying sadness in Eric’s eyes.

Colton was John’s son—no matter what may have happened in the past.

“Colton, I think its your bed time,” Micah said after letting the boys talk for over an hour.

“Mom,” the boy whined, pouting his lips to John and Eric.

“Listen to your mom, buddy,” Eric reassured. “I’ll call you again tomorrow, okay?”

Colton sighed and nodded his head sadly. He turned his baby green eyes to John. “Will you come over again tomorrow too?”

John looked taken aback and somewhat nervous. He glanced at Eric and then Micah. “Sure thing, Colton,” he said shyly. “Maybe we can go play some baseball.”

“That sounds so fun!” He cheered quietly, yawning.

Micah smiled, “John, can you uh, tuck him in?” He looked at her unsure. He had never done this stuff before. “You’ll be fine,” she said sweetly, glancing at Eric who was staring at them quietly.

“Let’s go, kiddo,” John said, mustering up his courage. The two walked into the boy’s bedroom and Micah turned to look at her boyfriend.

“Hi,” she sighed, smiling at him. She missed him so much it was hard to stand. It was nice having John here though, he made her feel less lonely.

“Hello buttercup,” Eric grinned. He placed his hands in his palms and leaned forward on his elbows. “So, John is there…how’s that going?”

Micah smiled, “He’s doing great, I mean he’s definitely new, but he’s good with kids. He always has been.”

“So uh, you told him…everything then?” He questioned, raising his eyebrows.

She nodded her head, “Yeah. I mean, he was mad—he still is. He still should be, but we’re working on it, you know? We’ll work on it until its okay. For Colton. Colton deserves the best and I’ll make sure he has that.”

“You think John can be the best, yeah?” Eric asked, quietly.

“I think he needs his dad,” Micah said honestly. “But he needs you. And I need you too.”

Eric smiled and his cheeks turned pink. “I need you guys as well. I miss you so much, Micah.”

“I miss you too, love,” she sighed, glancing to her sons room. “I need to go make sure he’s in bed and stuff…”

Eric nodded knowingly. “I’ll call you tomorrow and we can have some us time, yeah?”

“That sounds perfect,” Micah grinned.

“I love you, baby, more than anything,” he smiled, blowing a kiss.

She blew one back and said her goodbyes before quietly walking over to Colton’s room. She stopped outside the door and she could hear voices speaking quietly in the room.

“It used to be your mom’s favorite. Don’t tell, but I wrote it about her,” John spoke softly, before she heard him start singing.

There was a new girl in town. She had it all figured out. Well I'll state something rash. She had the most amazing...smile,” John sang. She could hear the smile in his own voice.

I bet you didn't expect that. She made me change my ways. With eyes like sunsets, baby, and legs that went on for days. I'm falling in love but it's falling apart. I need to find my way back to the start.
“When we were in love things were better than they are. Let me back into...into your arms. Into your arms.


Micah smiled and leaned against the wall outside Colton’s door as she listened to John’s sweet voice. She could remember the first time he ever played this song. It was her eighteenth birthday.

It was the most perfect night of her life.

John stopped singing once the song was finished and was soon standing outside the door with her. He rubbed the back of his neck and blushed. “He said you always told him bedtime stories—and well, I didn’t know any…so I mean…”

“Shh,” Micah said sweetly. “You did perfect.”

The two walked into the living room and sat on the couch quietly, nothing but silence between them. It was comfortable. Everything felt so…so right.

“What’d Eric say?” John asked after a few moments, opening his phone and replying to a few texts.

Micah shrugged, “Not much. I’m just glad you two were able to get along, for Colton’s sake.”

“He’s my best friend,” he said simply. “We’ll be okay.”

“I’m glad,” she replied, closing her eyes and resting her head on a pillow.

“Micah,” John said quietly, after a few moments. “I need to tell Addison soon. She’s been asking questions about where I’ve been.”

Her stomach tightened and suddenly she felt like she was going to throw up. If Addie knew, her mom would need to know, and John’s parents would need to know…everyone would know the truth. It’d all be out.

“I mean, I know you’re nervous…believe me so am I, and honestly,” John sighed, “I don’t want to. But, I need to if my relationship is going to work at all.”

“I get it,” she said softly, biting her lip. “How about one month? In one month we’ll come clean,” she proposed. That’d give her some time to mentally prepare for it—for all of it.

John sighed and nodded his head. “One month.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Micah

Hai guys! Sorry if there's any typos I've been trying to finish this before my dorm floor meeting so I've been rushing! It's finals week so I've been using this story as a distraction! Thanks so much for your comments! Sorry if it seems slow, but the relationships need to be built.

Let me know what you're thinking, what do you think Addison will do when she finds out? How will Micah's mom react?

Also, some shameless self-whoring. Check out my new co-write with Keri! We're really excited about it and would love your feedback (:
Through Grass, Grown Tall

You guys are the best!

-K