The Saints Of Mibba

Fortunate.

I by no means have had a troubled life. There are people out there that have gone through much more than I have. In fact, I don’t even consider myself to have gone through anything that drastic. I’ve just accepted everything that has happened to me so far because I know that nobody can change what has already happened. You just have to accept it and learn to cope.

I spent the first nine years of my life in the perfect street in what I considered at the time to be the perfect house. My sisters and I would spend hours each day playing with the kids next door. Board games, video games, play-doh, inflatable swimming pools – all of the things you did when you were a kid. The neighbours were really nice. We were great friends and even kept contact after we moved. I think the only down side of living there was having to share a bedroom.

After my ninth birthday we had to move house. The owners of the house wanted to sell it, thus, it meant us moving. We moved into a house on the other side of the same suburb. I didn’t like that house, or that side of the suburb. For one, I had to share a bedroom with both of my sisters. Secondly, it always seemed like it was haunted. Whenever I walked down the hallway I would always get that feeling that somebody was watching you.

A group of kids lived up the road. For a while they would talk to my sisters and me. I thought they were our friends. We would often go over there house and play on their trampoline or swimming pool. We used to ride up and down the street on our bikes and roller blades together. One day a couple of them came over my house. My sisters were out, and they asked if I wanted to come up to their place. I got my bike out and rode up the street with them. As soon as we got inside they both ran into their bedroom and locked the door, leaving me standing there in their front doorway. You can of course realise how that felt. They had obviously planned that. So I got my bike and rode back home. The next day they nominated one of them to tell my sisters and me that they didn’t like us and didn’t want to talk to us anymore. So, that ended that. I have a feeling they didn’t want to associate with us anymore because they were...wannabes? Because we didn’t own our house they looked down on us. They’re not allowed to associate with riff raff like us.

After a year there we had to move again for the same reason as before. However, we were offered to keep living there, but none of us liked it. We moved back to the other side of the suburb just a few streets away from my first house. I quite liked this house. The backyard was really small, something I wasn’t used to, but the park next door made up for it. A few kids who went to my school (I never had to change schools) lived right across the road. They were good friends to us. We would play in the park until all hours. Sometimes some kids who lived up the street would come and light firecrackers in the park. That was fun watching them.

My best friend lived just up the street. He was a really good friend. Looking back on it now he was probably my childhood boyfriend. You know the innocent boyfriend/girlfriend relationship you have when you’re ten years old? I remember one day we were sitting in his tree house and he kissed my cheek. He was the most interesting person I knew at that age. I remember that all of my friends were boys. I always found them more fun and easier to get along with than girls. When I was in year three my teacher made me spend one day of the week playing with a group of girls. I did develop a friendship with them, but was always closer with the guys.

Although that house was much better than the last house we lived in, what with the neighbours being nicer and all, we still received taunts from a boy who lived a few houses up from us. Knowing that we didn’t own our house he would say stuff like “You’re so poor you can’t even afford a spoon.” or something stupid along those lines. I would just yell back saying that he smelt or the like – the kind of remarks an eleven year old would come up with.
After a year of living there we moved two suburbs over to where I live now and have lived here for seven years so far. As much as I loved the first house I lived in, I love this one even more. There aren’t any kids living in our street – only old people. So, no more taunts. We each have our own bedroom, plus we have a huge backyard.

My primary school life consisted of my sisters and I being picked up from school by my grandparents. We would go back to their place for a few hours each afternoon until my Dad got off work and picked us up. I loved going there. Every afternoon we would have biscuits, juice and lollies and watch Cartoon Network with my Pa. He loved the cartoon Courage the Cowardly Dog, him saying he shared a likeness to the old man in that. My grandparents raced greyhounds, so I would often help my Pa feed them. We would sometimes even go to what I remember being referred to as the “slipping track”, where the dog would go for a good run down the track before we headed back home.

A year after living here I started High School. This was probably the first hardest step in my life. All of my primary school friends were going to the same High School, leaving me to go to an all girls’ school all alone. Now that I think on it though, and after seeing what all of the girls who went to that co-ed school turned out like, it was so much more beneficial for me having gone to the all girls’ technology school just a five minute walk from my house.

People say that High School sucks for anybody who is the least bit different. However, for my year that wasn’t so. High School wasn’t hard. My year was considered to be the “lucky” year. While all other years had people being teased mercilessly for being “different”, everybody in my year were friends. We all had different groups but nobody was considered an outcast or teased to a great extent. However, because of higher year groups mucking up, my year never got to go on a school camp or any real exciting excursions. You can imagine our dismay when we heard this, and when we heard the years below us were then allowed to go on camps and fun excursions.

High School was probably where I found myself. Even though I lost contact with all of my primary school friends, I now had new friends who were even better. The end of Year 9, 2004, was when I heard a band that would change my life from then on. Green Day got me into music. American Idiot was what pumped through my mind ever since I saw the film clip on the television. I was addicted. High School was filled with my two addictions – Harry Potter and Green Day. Even though I had discovered Harry Potter when I was ten years old, my High School years were spent waiting and waiting for the next book to be released.

As I say, High School was where I found myself. I found my love for rock music. I found my love for Harry Potter. I found my love for Green Day and Mibba. And I found my love for computers (I never had a computer in my childhood) – my last years of High School were spent studying all three computer courses that my school offered. I think GSB and Mibba helped that love along, seeing what Dujo made and how it brought all these people together made me want to do the same.

I want to mention the end of year 2005 and the year 2006 in this, as those were the toughest times for me. End of 2005 I suffered my first great loss. My cat of twelve years passed away to what we think was cancer. This happened two days before the Green Day’s final Sydney concert that I wasn’t able to go to due to the fact that nobody wanted to go with me. In 2006 both of my grandfathers passed away due to cancer. The year 2006 sucked. I don’t like to talk about those events. Hardly anybody knows about them...

And so I shall now end. High School is over and I move onto University to study Science in Information Technology. As you can see, my life hasn’t been a hard one. I think I’ve been very fortunate actually.
♠ ♠ ♠
by vonny.