I See You for Who You Are

3

Mark was sitting in a quiet corner with Rob talking with two beers in front of them when Thomas walked in, the old man working the door when there were gigs which was every other night. He nodded at Mark and saluted towards Drea that walked out of the kitchen, bringing Rob a burger.
Thomas sat down at the bar in front of Vilma.

-Hey, how’s my sweet Wilma doing tonight?

-Well my dearest Thom, I am doing quite well thank you. How about yourself?

-Oh, I shouldn’t complain. I get to sit here talking to a sweet gal’ like you; he laughed and started stuffing a pipe with tobacco and making a move to light it.

-Hey there grandpa, Vilma hollowed out. You know very well you can’t smoke that in here.

-Oh man you sound just like my second wife, awful flashback, thanks. But you are a kind soul, you just sound mean. He smiled kindly at her.

-That I am….sometimes anyway.

-So, Thomas nodded at the direction where Rob and Mark were sitting. That’s the star of tonight huh?

-Yepp, that’s Rob. He’s friends with Tate and Nate, Mark’s brothers, Vilma laughed. She always did when she thought of the twins and their names and then added; apparently Rob knows Mark and Drea pretty well…weird I never saw him here.

-Well I did, seen him here a few times at gigs. Never forget a face you know, Thomas pointed to his head.

-Yeah, ha! Sure, weird Thom, how you always forget that you can’t smoke in here then?

-Well that my dear, is because I don’t want to remember. I have seen him here though, with the brothers and their friends, at a few gigs. He wore his hoodie up though.

-Hmmm…weird, I always remember the boys and their friends. A hoodie you say? No idea. Oh well, även solen har sina fläckar.

-What?

-It’s Swedish, it means even the sun has its spots. You know, nobody’s perfect.

-Oh, good one. And you are the sun of this place, he nodded. So kid, what do you say, should we open this place then?

-That we should , I’ll come to the door later so you can go and grab a smoke ok?

-Thank you, you're always look out for me. Thom walked away to the door, dangling his keys and whistling.

*************************

The bar had been open for 2 hours and Vilma went to the door to take Thom’s place at the door for him to get a break to smoke.

-Welcome! She greeted two girls who couldn’t have been a day over 16. Can I see some IDs please. She gave them a kind smile.

-Uhmmm…well…we forgot them at home but we come here all the time. One of them nodded assuringly.

-I am sure that you do, but I still can’t let you in girls. We might get inspected and everyone must have an ID then. As much as I want to, I can’t let you in. Sorry.

One of the girls pouted her lips and frowned at her.

-We are meeting our friends here, Tate and Nate and they own this bar! You should let us in, if you wanna keep your job that is…

-Well, I do know Tate and Nate and they definitely don’t own this bar. They are probably coming over tonight so you can wait for them outside but please step away from the line. Other guests are waiting.

The girls gave Vilma a look of defeat and went to wait a few feet away, she smiled kindly at them and greeted the next guest.

After a good 15 minutes Thom came back.

-Where have you been?! Vilma hissed at him. Drea have been managing the bar alone!

-Well I had to use the little boys room, sorry for that and no, Drea’s not alone. The guitar-guy’s helping her.

-Behind the Bar? Rob you mean?

-I guess so, the guy playing tonight, the hoodie-guy.

-Oh, that’s nice. Good, watch out for the two girls waiting over there. They claim to be friend’s of the owners, the twins. She laughed at this.

-Let me guess, they demand you let them in. Thom chuckled too. There is always a couple every night… Well when the boys get here they will say what they always do “Hey girls, come back in five years!”

Vilma looked at the girls feeling a bit sorry for them, remembering her high school crushes on older guys and walked towards the bar. The twins had a way with the hearts of young women, they always had new girls with them when they came.

-Hey, looks who’s here! Rob shouted at her and gave her a smile.

-Yeah I’m sorry! Thom needed a break. Thanks for helping Drea out.

-My pleasure, think I got 4 phone numbers already, he chuckled but then threw the pieces of paper in the garbage can.

-Wow, 4 broken hearts in 30 minutes. Is that a record maybe?

-Yes, it is, never gotten that few actually. He winked at her.

-Very funny Cher-boy, so we can expect some good jokes in between songs then? You can go now, you’re on in an hour more or less.

-I think I’ll stay a while. Drea! You can grab a coffee if you want. I’ll help Vilma out.

-Thanks Rob, you’re a sweetheart. No coffee for me but I did forget to get the Weiss beer before. I’ll be back in 5…or 10 maybe.

-Take your time love, Rob smiled. This is fun! I haven’t worked in a bar in years, I've missed it.

Drea hurried down the stairs to the basement.

-You've worked in a bar? Vilma asked while pouring a pint for a customer.

-Yepp, every summer from when I was 18. I didn’t even know I missed it. He flashed a smile at a girl and got a huge tip in response.

Vilma laughed. –Don’t think I’ll be getting any large tips from the girls, or any orders from them at all while you are back here.

-Don’t worry love. The tip is shared at the end of the night right? Then I’ll be gone so all will be yours.

She gave him a weak smile and shook her head no. –No way man, it’s yours.

-Well, I guess I am staying ‘til we close up then. He poked her in the side with his elbow and turned around to take another order.

Vilma smiled to herself and then felt surprised. She was exited that Rob was staying until closing time. Excited to talk to him again after the gig, she felt confused but soon got lost in orders being shouted. After a while Drea came to take Rob’s place behind the bar.

-Time to do your magic Rob, she smiled and nodded towards the stage. He saluted her and walked towards Mark who was about to announce him.

-Listen up peeps, tonight I have the great pleasure to introduce a good friend of mine. A man with a voice that will make you girls have sweet sweet dreams tonight. – At this Rob rolled smiled and shook his head- Give him a warm welcome, Mr. Bobby Dupea!