I See You for Who You Are

5

Chapter 5
The evening went on as usual, Vilma was busy at the bar taking drink orders but got a chance to listen to Robs singing and managed to glance over to the stage once in a while.
The thought of the party made her a nervous and she started to feel a bit sick. She had excluded herself from that life, voluntarily.
She was only social with her co-workers, guests and the store clerks at her convenient store. After getting her heart chewed up and spat out at age 20 and as a consequence of that living like a hermit she knew, if she allowed herself to think about it, that it was time to put herself out there. She needed it, she needed new friends, she still didn’t have many in London. But she had been too scared.
The twins always asked her to go places with them but she had always said no. What was so special about tonight that she had finally agreed to come? It must be the ultimatum she had given herself, something had to change before next Christmas. It was time to do something, take control of her life. The why did she feel so scared to do it? People got hurt all the time! She needed to pick herself up. Someone tried to catch her attention and interrupted her thoughts.
-Earth calling Vilma! Tate waved his hand in front of her face. Where did you go? Nate and I are leaving for the party, so I’ll guess I’ll see you there in an hour or so. Rob knows where it is.
-Are you making him wait for me? You can just give me the address and I’ll find it.
-Yeah, right. Nate smiled. You’ll text us and say you can’t come. Come on, you gotta leave this place sometime, Rob is taking you since he has to pack his gear. So, see you two there?
- Yes, I guess you will dad. She nodded and looked over towards the stage where Rob said his thank yous to the audience.
-Don’t look so scared Willy, you’ll have fun. Tate leaned over the bar and gave her a hug before they walked towards the door.
*************************
The last guest had left and Thomas sat by the bar eating a burger while talking to Vilma and watching her clean up when Rob walked up to them.
-Can I get you anything before you leave? Vilma looked at Rob.
-Before we leave you mean, well a cup of coffee would be nice, if there is any in the pot? Rob smiled and sat down beside Thomas who turned to look at him.
-You are pretty good with that thing kid. Thomas said, cocking his head towards the Robs stuff standing by the back door.
-Thank you, that means a lot, I really like playing. Rob said smiling at Thomas.
- You like being up on that stage, in the spotlight?
-No, that’s another thing, I really don’t. It gets less nerve wrecking though. But not tonight, I get more nervous when people I know listen and watch me. Strange, I guess that should make me less nervous.
-Nah, you really can’t let strangers down. I would think it’s harder when people you care about watch, more pressure.
Vilma was listening to the two men talk, she now sat a cup of coffee down in front of Rob and looked at him with surprise. –You were nervous tonight?
He looked up at her and rubbed his temples. – Yeah, I was. I can actually feel the head ache coming now that I am relaxing. This amazing coffee will do the trick.
He smiled and took a sip.
-You kids have fun tonight, Thomas said standing up. Take care of this one. He nodded towards Vilma.
-I promise. Rob reached out his hand and shook Thom’s.
-I can take care of myself thank you! Bye Thom, Vilma said and leaned over the bar and kissed his bearded tobacco-smelling chin.
-Bye kid, he said and walk out of the door locking it behind him.
-So Cher-boy, ready to split the tips?
-Really? Cher-boy? We sounded alike huh? He laughed. No, I am not going to take your tip away from you.
- It’s yours, you earned it, fair and square.
-Fine, let’s do this, you’ll use my share to pay for the cab tonight. Are you ready to go?
-Can I just go upstairs and change? I’ll be fast, promise.
-Of course, though you don’t have to, you look beautiful right now. I guess I’ll wait here?
Vile caught herself feeling confused, not knowing how to respond. Beautiful? That’s not how she saw herself, definitely not how she felt after a busy night at the bar and decided to ignore the comment.
-Or you could come up and wait at my place, that will be easier. Drea and Mark left and then I can lock up now.
-Sure, Rob smiled and jumped up from his seat. I’ll just leave my stuff here and come get them tomorrow.
-Ok then, that sounds like a plan. So… this way Mr. Madonna. She walked towards the backdoor.
-This is horrible. He said with a whiny voice and then laughed, following her. But I’ll use this night to find out a suiting nickname for you, don’t you worry.
-Oh, something to look forward to!
-Oh yeah, you better believe it. You are going to wish you never called me that!
Vilma locked the door from the outside, they walked the few steps to her entrance and she unlocked the door and up the stairs they went.
-Just take a seat, I’ll be fast. Vilma hurried into the bathroom to take a quick shower.
10 minutes later Vilma stood in front of the mirror quickly putting on some mascara and blush. She never wore a lot of make-up, she felt uneasy with too much color in her face, her fire red hair made her noticeable enough. She picked up her red Dior lipstick she bought on a whim. –What the hell… She mumbled to herself and put some on, it wasn’t everyday she went to a party these days, some lipstick might give her the confidence she felt she was lacking.
She scolded herself, -Snap out of it and try to have some fun at least!
She thought back to how it used to be before she left home, she had never been a confident person but she had never been afraid to meet new people and have fun. She looked around and found what she was looking for. Her black jeans and a tight, red and black checked cotton western shirt, she put on a couple of leather wrist bands and went out to the living room.
-I am ready, she smiled. Sorry you had to wait.
-Wait? That was fast, he smiled back. You look nice.
-Oh, thanks, shall we go? Should we stop buy and buy some beers or something on the way?
-No worries, Nate got that covered, you don’t have to go thirsty tonight.
-Oh, have mercy, Nate is my bartender tonight!
She laughed and put on her red converse and black leather jacket and they went down the stairs and out on the street.
-Do you want to walk? Rob asked – Or should I call a cab?
-Uhmm..Is it very far? Walking sounds…good.
-Maybe a fifteen minute walk, not far, let’s go.
He linked his arm with Vilma’s and she looked at him in surprise as they started walking.
-Think I’ll fall down? I haven’t touched a drink yet.
He winked at her. – I have. You are helping me here! No but…I just like holding people, hands, arms.
He smiled.
-Oh the touchy feely type she laughed. - Ok, hold away then.
-Why thank you Mrs. Flintstone.
He laughed at the new nickname he just made up and they began walking.
-Oh, that was inventive of you. She laughed with him.
-Well, you are both called Wilma and have red hair!
-Close, but my name is Vilma, you better come up with a new name, one a bit more imaginative. You are a song writer, I am sure you’ll think of something.
- A challenge….I’ll give you a name, don’t you worry. Have patience.
They walked slowly and talked, Rob lit a cigarette and offered her one.
-Thanks, I don’t smoke. Well I used to, kind of…or not, once a year maybe. When I was dead drunk and thought I looked cool. I never really inhaled though, just had the smoke in my mouth for a while.
She shook her head and laughed at the memories. – All my friends said “Oh so this is the night huh, how on earth will it end!?” Still, it was usually those nights that we had the most fun…
-So I get it you don’t smoke or get “dead drunk” so often these days?
-No. It has been a while indeed. Not that I miss it, I miss my friends though…
-You are from Sweden right? Tate told me. You never visit, your friends never come here?
-I go home maybe once a year and a few friends have been here. So what do you do, besides singing in bars? Vilma said changing the subject.
-I am an actor, or I try to be anyway.
He put out his cigarette on the sole of his shoe and threw it in a garbage can.
-That’s interesting. Are you any good?
She looked at him curiously.
-I guess someone else should answer that, I do ok I think, he chuckled. I haven’t done that much. Some theater when I was younger and a few movies. I just finished filming, I came back from Vancouver last week.
-Oh, that sounds big, filming in Canada. What is it about?
-Vampires….and impossible love.
He smiled at her, looking a bit embarrassed.
-That’s great, I love vampires, I have a childish interest in them. Childish sounds better than perverted anyway.
He looked at her surprised and laughed. –Maybe I should have worn my fangs then?
Now it was her turn to look embarrassed and she looked away. –Yeah, too bad. The myth of the creature intrigues me, I used to read all the books I could get my hand on when I was younger, fiction and other books…so you play a vampire then? When does it come out, this movie of yours?
-This fall, it’s based on this teen novel and its part of a series so probably there will be three more. We’ll see.
-So you know you won’t starve then. And I’ll get to say, I met this huge Hollywood actor once.
She looked at him with dreamy eyes and started laughing.
-Are you mocking me?
He looked at her with an angry look in his eyes and she stuttered –Well, no I just…
He started laughing and she looked at him with relief. –Damn, you had me there. I really felt bad! I was ready to apologize.
-Mock me all you want, I don’t care.
He squeezed her arm.
-The bartender won’t mock the actor. She nodded. –Promise!
He laughed and nodded towards a building coming up on their right. – So…here it is, are you ready?
- Ready, you make it sound like I am walking into a lion’s den.
- Well… He laughed. With some of these guys you’ll never know. But stay close to me and I’ll scare them off.
Vilma gave up a nervous laugh and walked up to the house with her arm still on Roberts. Just holding on a bit tighter than before.