‹ Prequel: In Your Mind
Status: New. Read the prequels.

Like We Used To

Chapter 3

----Jinx's P.O.V----

I walked over to the glistening whiteboard and jotted down the date and today's work. I quietly shuffled over to my mahogany desk and pulled open a drawer then slid in my notebook.

The classroom door flew open and kids started spewing in, automatically walking to there usual desks.

Piper stalked in and abruptly punched Kevin in the arm. "You douche bag, You got Vegan into trouble again."

"What happened now?" I sighed.

"Kevin started talking shit about Mr. Stevens class and how yours was more 'funtastic'." Piper grumbled.

"You think my class is funtastic?" I raised my eyebrows at Kevin.

He shrugged sheepishly. "Let's me speak my mind, Y'know,"

"Did you just ignore what I just said?" Piper questioned, glaring at Kevin "Vegan's got detention so there goes band practice."

"You guys.. are in a band?" I asked slowly.

"Yeah." Kevin nodded eagerly. "Vegan's the singer, I'm lead guitarist and back up singer, Chris is Rhythm guitarist, Vinny's Bassist and Piper's the drummer."

"Are you guys decent?"

"Care to elaborate?" Piper raised her eyebrows.

I shrugged before leaning down to her level. I brushed my hair to the side and blew a breath of air out. "Better than most but not yet the best."

"Give or take some."

I looked up to see Vegan's smirking form waltzing in. He plopped down next to Piper and grinned at her. She smacked him and scowled before shaking her head.

"Mr. Steven's let you off the hook?" Chris questioned.

"Yea, Got sidetracked."

"How?"

"Some idiot lit a cigarette on a roll of toilet paper in the girls bathroom." Vegan's laugh seemed to echo through the room.

"Vegan!" Piper cried, elbowing him. "Your going to get suspended!"

"Not as long as everyone keeps there mouth shut," He murmured.

Almost as soon as the words left his mouth eyes were on me. I licked my lips then stood up, wiping the palms of my hands on my jeans.

"Secrets safe with me."

"Thanks, Mr. O'callaghan."

"Don't mention it, literally." I mumbled.

----

"Do I need to get the balloons now?" Heidi's loud voice rang over the cell phone.

"Yeah," I mumbled, shuffling around the cart. "My mom wants blue and red."

"Walgreen's is closed." Heidi mused. "Should I meet you at Wal-mart? Or have your sister drop me off and we car pool to your apartment?"

"Isn't your car at my house, anyways?"

"Yeah..."

"Then yeah, that's a good plan."

"Alright, I'll meet you there."

"Alrighty." I mumbled, sliding the phone shut.

"Whens John coming home?" Kadie questioned, peering up at me.

I sighed and shrugged before pushing the shopping cart further down the isle. I bent down and grabbed pasta shells before tossing them in the cart.

"About 3 months,"

She gasped. "That's a long time!"

I laughed lightly before ruffling her hair. "They always get a break, you know that."

"A break!" She clapped her hands. "We'll see Kyle!"

My eyes widened as my stomach lurched. She's right.. How could I forget about that! That's an idiotic mistake! They won't come...

Will they?

I licked my lips nervously before shrugging. "M-maybe."

"I miss him. He gave good hugs." She continued to ramble on, ignoring my nerve wrecking moment.

I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath before plastering a smile across my face. I coughed before flickering my eye around.

"Is there any specific food you want?"

"What?" She wondered out loud.

"Is there any special food you want?" I repeated.

"Trix yogurt!" She exclaimed, bouncing up and down in the cart.

I smiled before shaking my head and pushing the cart towards the dairy products. I examined every shelf, searching for the yogurt she desperately wanted.

Gotcha!

I leaned down and grabbed it as another pale hand reached for it. I looked up and sighed as Vegan, Vinny and Piper burst out laughing.

"Mr. O-O'callaghan," Vegan stammered. "I didn't see you as the fruity yogurt kind."

"More fat free cheese and soy milk," Piper teased.

"Yuck." Kadie scrunched her nose up.

Piper's mouth fell open as she glanced up at me then at Kadie, then at me again. "Is this.. Is this your kid?"

"I"m Kadie!" Kadie exclaimed, trying to wiggle out of the buggy. "You know my Jinxy?"

I frowned at her clamping my hand over her mouth. "This is my little sister."

"How old, are you?" Vinny, emphasized.

"He's twenty four!" Kadie's muffled voice rung out.

"Day-um." Vegan mumbled.

I rolled my eye and snatched the yogurt from Vegan's grip. He scowled as I tossed it in my cart. I poked Kadie. "Is there anything else you want?"

"To see Kyle!"

I pinched the bridge of my nose before glancing at Vegan and Piper. "Kadie, remember what I told you in the car a couple of days ago?"

"Yeah.." She mumbled.

"Let's not talk about it."

She frowned and began picking at the belt that was wrapped around her waist. I nodded at Vegan and Vinny before venturing farther down the isle.
♠ ♠ ♠
--Com/Sub!