‹ Prequel: All I Wanted

Paint It Black

Playing With Fire

Sunny's POV

I would be the designated driver tonight. I hate being sober. Meghan explained, that since I'm packing and have to get up early, that I had to sip pepsi all fucking night. How great is that?

We went to the usual spot, Angels and Kings, where we instantly spotted Gabe and Pete, taking shots. Gabe is the king of being drunk. You'd get a buzz just being around him.

The music blared as we made our way to the VIP section. I shifted my dress, it practically cut off my circulation. It was a blue cocktail dress that was too small for Meghan, and a size too small for me.

"Sunny! Mi futura esposa, dónde has estado, amor?" Gave greeted me.

"What?" I joked, "I am not your future wife."

He grinned, that drunken haze feeling his eyes, "Sólo estoy bromeando!"

I shook my head, meeting Meghan's confused gaze, "What did he say?"

"He said he was joking."

She nodded, "oh"ing.

"Drink with me!" he said, reaching over the table and taking my wrist.

"No, I can't," I showed him my stupid wristband, "Designated Driver."

He frowned, looking over at Meghan, "I don't like you!"

Meghan flipped him off, "I'm going to find Mikey."

I sat with Pete and Gabe, letting Gabe grope and joke with me. Out off all the guys I was ever infatuated with, Gabe made me the most nervous. I had idolized him since I was 13 years old, when I was into underground bands. Now, here he was, sitting beside me, taking shots, tightening his arm around my waist. It's a weird feeling, I often wished he wasn't so close and touchy; based off the fact I look up to him.

"When are you coming to New York?" he slurred in my ear.

"TAI is going on the east coast tour, so I'll be with them." I slipped into his ear.

He grinned at me, "Sweet."

I shook my head and continued watching Pete and him drown in tequila and alcohol. I turned my head to the dance floor, I spotted Meghan dancing with Mikey, and a few people dancing dirty, too.

"You wanna dance?" Gabe slurred.

I looked at him, shrugging, "Sure."

Gave took my hand, us leaving Pete to wallow in his drunken stupor. He led me to floor, which was filled with hot, sweaty bodies, and the loud pop synthesized music. 

Now, my dancing is sub-par to Gabe's. I was alright, but I'm not much of a dancer. He would dance a certain way and I would follow lead. 

I am a terrible dancer...while sober.
He and I were close as the music blared. I was becoming sweaty, and quite aware that I was dancing. My self-conscious mind wouldn't let it go away.

Gave grabbed my hand, "Stop worrying," he told me in my ear.

"I can't help it," I told him shyly.

"You need alcohol," he grinned.

"Tell me about it."

Gabe just smiled, that drunk grin that was a bit cute. He took my hand and led me back to the bar. I saw Meghan drinking happily, Mikey was beside her. Gabe waved at her, she raised her brow, and he turned to the bartender.

"Four shots of tequila!" he slapped the bar, "Salt and lime!"

The bartender laughed, knowing Gabe. Everyone seated looked over at us, the bartender put the four shots on the bar, the salt and four cut pieces of lime. 

"Shoot," Gabe ordered.

I sighed, taking the shot glass in my hand and downing it quickly. He tapped me as I hissed and had me lick salt off his long, index finger and suck the lime. And again, and again, and then again.

I spun, tossing the lime away and squeezed my eyes shut. Gabe gave a short snort and laugh, patting my back. I opened my eyes, Meghan was standing beside Gabe, frowning, and the neon lights made me a little sick.

"I don't feel so good," I told them.

"Do you need some air?" Meg asked.

"Yeah," I stepped away from the bar, "I'll see you, Gabe."

He pecked my cheek, "Sentirse mejor, hermosa."

"I'll try."

Meghan held me up as she led me to the front door, "What did he say?" she asked.

"He said feel better."

Out in the cool air, I could hear a few people talking and carrying on. Meg sat me by her car, on a curb. When I sat, I felt the liquor come up on me.

"I'm gonna throw up!" I turned my head, feeling Meg hold my hair back as I upchucked the liquor and my dinner. 

I spewed for a few more seconds, "Sunny, what's wrong?" she asked, concerned and rubbing my back.

"I don't know," I spewed harder.

I continued to throw up until I began to dry heave. I groaned, holding my gut and Meg let my hair go.

"I'm gonna go get--"

A voice had cut her off, "Hey, is she okay?"

I wiped my mouth, looking over, with Meg, "She's sick."

I saw a blurry version of two men, "I'm sober enough to drive," I think I heard Mikey.

Then, the vomit hit again, "Oh God!" I spewed again, holding myself. 

I wiped my mouth, with the back of my hand, and groaned. My stomach wrenched so hard, it felt like cramps. I began to wail quietly as they began to speak. Meg put a hand on my back, circling around to comfort me. I can't describe the pain I was in.

"I wanna go home," I sobbed.

"Let's take her back to my place," Meg helped me up, "her mom will flip if she sees her like this."

"I'm gonna kill Gabe," I cursed as I was led to Meg's range rover.
---

Meg helped me into her guest room. She helped me undress, gave me some water and Tylenol. I was given pajama bottoms and an oversized t-shirt. Meg helped me into the bed, pressing her hand to my head.

"Are you better?"

I shook my head, frowning, "I feel like death."

She giggled, "Well, you look like it, honey bear."

"Leave me alone," I joked pulling the comforter over myself.

"I'll wake you up at 10, alright?"

I nodded, "Thank you, Meghan."

"No problem, Sunny."

She got up from the bed, crossed the room and shut the light off as I closed my eyes. The soft noises of her and Mikey talking filled my ears, though I couldn't make out what they were saying.

I tried to sleep, my stomach was feeling a little better. My head was hurting just a little, and my body was achy. I crossed my arms, falling into a deep sleep.

When I woke up, the door was creeping open. I opened my eyes, seeing a tired Meghan, her make-up smeared, her dark hair messy, and a little grin on her face. I knew that grin...Marilyn had it after she met Mikey, I had it after I first slept with Frank, and now Meghan had it.

"Someone got lucky," I murmured as she crossed the room to the bathroom.

"Sure did," she stated proudly, "best I ever had."

I giggled, sitting up, and watched her got to the bathroom and came back. She handed me a Dixie cup of water and another pill.

She sat at the edge of my feet, "Um, Frank's here to see you," she said softly.

I looked at her as I downed the water and pill, "Why?"

"He said he needs to talk to you."

"I don't want to talk to him," I said quietly.

"He says it's important."

I began again, "I don't want to--"

Meghan cut me off, "Oh, will you just talk to the guy!" she giggled after.

"Why?"

"He's such a fucking cutie pie! Have you not seen him?" she grinned, "If Mikey wasn't so good--"

I cut her off, "Yeah, okay, let me wash my face and brush my teeth."

Meghan jumped up happily and danced out the room. I rolled my eyes and went to the bathroom. I grabbed the spare tooth brush, under the sink, brushed my teeth and washed the thick make-up off my face.

When I walked back into the room, Frank was sitting on the bed. He looked as if he hadn't slept, his face was long and his eyes didn't shine like they usually do. I instantly felt sore and bad for being so rude last time.

"Alright, what's up?" I exasperated softly, trying to keep my emotions in order.

"I want things to change for us," he looked up at me, "I'm tired of you hating me."

I furrowed my brows, "I don't hate you."

He nodded, "Yes you do."

I shook my head, "I hate our situation."

"Me too."

I sat beside him, pulling my legs to my chest, "Can I be completely honest?" I felt the need to tell him how I was feeling at that exact moment.

"Are you gonna say some mean shit?"

I shook my head, "No. I just want to tell you how I'm feeling right this second."

He gave me a curious look, but nodded, "Go ahead."

I sighed again, resting my chin in between my knee caps, "I love you. I feel sorry for you. I miss you, I want you around, you give me chills," I bit my lip, looking at my knees, "these feelings aren't exact at this moment, but they'll come as soon as you walk out the door. I swear."

"Then what's keeping us apart?" he put an arm around my shoulder, and I looked up at him.

"Fear." I answered truthfully, "I get scared of the thought of being with you. I feel as if I need you around all the time...especially when I'm off my medication. I fear that you'll cheat on me again, I fear that I'll never have you completely."

Frank pressed his lips to my jaw, "I'll never be like how I use to, I promise."

I shut my eyes, pulling away from him, "Promises don't last."

He sighed, pressing his forehead to my shoulder, "I can keep mine."

I shook my head, "I don't trust you, I don't believe what you say."

He lifted his head, I looked up at him and he pinched his eyes closed, "What do I have to do to convince you?"

"There's nothing you can do, it's the way I feel." He stood, his back towards me, "I'm leaving anyway."

He looked at me, "Please," he came back over, sitting beside me, "I'll do everything you ask."

I had heard this before, and it seemed like an empty promise. My heart ached, and it felt for Frank, "Frankie, I--"

He cut me off, "I've gone through so much hell without you. I need you! I've never needed another person before, a partner," he took my hand, "I know you went through worse than I ever had, I know, and I don't want that for you anymore."

The pleading in his eyes made tears cradle out of mine. I wiped them away before they could dance down my cheeks, and I sniffled. I was going to make a decision that could fully, mentally, break me down, or repair me, "You...you have to promise me something," my throat grew tight as I looked at his eyes light up.

He nodded, "Anything."

"If we do this...get back together, you cannot, under any circumstances, mess around on me."

He gave a full smile, I bit my lip, "I promise."

I smiled, "I mean it, don't ever look at another girl with sex on your mind."

He nodded, pulling me on his lap and wrapping his arms around me. He continued nodding as he started to kiss me. I felt the tears stream out of my closed eyelid's as I tried to control them. I brought my hands to cup Frank's cheeks and kissed him harder.

Fuck, was I playing with fire?
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally, I had Sunny hook up with Gabe, but I scrapped that, because I felt that it wasn't needed. A part of me has me going back and forth on this story, about how to finish it or go about Sunny and Frank's relationship. I'm really confused on what to do next, and I really appreciate the messages/comments/subscriptions. You guys are the best!