‹ Prequel: All I Wanted

Paint It Black

Powdered Sugar & Concrete

Sunny's POV

Mom didn't say much when she drove me to the airport. She hummed along to the radio, but you could feel the tension.

"Just say it," I told her, "say what you want to say."

She looked over at me, and shrugged, "I'm happy for you, Sunny."

I raised my brow as she turned her head back to the road, "What?"

"I'm happy that you found someone who makes you happy...though, if never opted it be Frank again."

I narrowed my eyes at her profile, "So, you aren't going to lecture me?"

She shook her head, "It's your life, your choices. You do what makes you feel happy."

I smiled at her, glancing down at my lap, "Thanks mom."

"I'm just doing what feels right, Mija."
-

The nights in Chicago have to be the best thing on the planet. The sky, the cool, wet air, and the beautiful stars. The sight is better than sex and tacos, as Sisky would say. At least, to me, anyway.

Nothing beats being home, when you know you should be. 

I took in the cool air as Butcher put my bags in the back seat. I had properly hugged him and Sisky when I got off the plane, so now I was breathing in the air.

"I think you're getting enough of O'Hare, Sun," Sisky said tapping my arm.

"I missed home," I told him, "it feels fucking great."

Sisky chuckled, opening the backseat door for me, "Well, we missed you, too, Sunny."

I climbed inside, closing the door and kicking my feet up on my bags. Butcher climbed in the front, "I finished my EP," he told me.

"No shit?" I smiled, "Play it!"

Butcher gave me a wide smile, put in a blank CD. I hadn't known the titles of the songs, only that he as working on some songs. He has an amazing voice, too, which I did not expect. I'm so proud of him.
-

When we got home, Butcher had massive amounts of organic food cooked for me. Along with being a painter and musician, he can cook too.

We all sat in the living room, watching reruns of some Japanese game show, and ate. Sisky fell asleep in the arm chair before I finished eating, so it was Butcher and I on the couch.

"How did everything go over?" he asked, putting his empty bowl on the glass coffee table.

I chewed my vegetables, and swallowed, "It went better than expected," I told him truthfully, "and Frank and I are giving our relationship another try."

Butcher gave me a worried look, "Are you sure about that? What about the things he said?"

I put my half empty bowl next to Butchers, "No matter what Frank says, or does, I'll always have the hardest love for him. I can't imagine any other person I would rather be with, Butcher, honestly."

"Does he make you happy?"

I nodded, "Yes."

Butcher tweaked his lips, "I swear, Sunny, if he does anything--"

I cut Butcher off, "You'll become Super Butcher and kick his ass, I know."

He gave me a serious look, "I mean it, Sunny."

I nodded, "I know you do." 

"I just don't want you to get all mopey and hate the world like you did after...you know."

I coursed my hair, "Yeah...but he promised me, and you should've seen his face," I giggled.

"Well, just promise me, if something goes on, you come to me first and talk it out."

"I promise, B."
-

After eating, I went upstairs to sleep my meal off. I was exhausted, from the plane ride, and the over eating.

I slept for a good few hours, before Butcher came up and shook my awake. I groaned, rolling over on my achy stomach.

"What?" I groaned.

"Your boyfriend is on the phone," he waved my iPhone in my face as I squinted at the right screen.

"Ok," I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Butcher handed me my phone and left the room. I brought the phone to my ear, hearing a soft chuckle, "'Lo?" 

Frank's lazy voice met my ear, "Did I wake you?"

I yawned, "No, I was having tea and cake with the Queen."

"Smart ass," he giggled; that girly giggle I love, "I'm sorry I woke you."

"Its fine," I yawned again, What time is it?"

"It's 1 here, so it must be at least 4," I pulled the phone from my cheek and read the time; it was 4:30.

"Shit, where did the time go?" I spoke to myself.

"In sleep land, with you, babe." His hazy voice made me all gushy inside. I groaned a bit, the over eating and butterflies made me ache, "What's wrong?"

"I ate too much," I told him.

"Why?"

I rolled my eyes, "I was fucking hungry, idiot."

"Ouch, ice princess," he giggled again.

"I'm just really achy and tired, sorry," I apologized, lying back.

"I'm sorry I woke you up, but I missed you."

I awed at him, "I miss you, too."

"Call me when you feel better, okay?"

I nodded to myself, "I will. Love you."

"I love you, too."

I hung up my phone and sat it on my nightstand. I closed my eyes, feeling my sick stomach rumble. I felt the stomach acid rush up my throat as I tried to soothe myself. I shot up and ran to my bathroom.

I kneeled to the porcelain God and wrenched. I hate to be detailed, but all that wonderful food was making it's presence known again. I held onto the sides of the toilet, hawking it up. I was too busy praying for it to be over, I didn't even hear Butcher come in. 

"What the hell?" he said in confusion. He held my hair back as I continued to puke, and rub my back. I groaned loudly, closing my mouth and resting my head on my arm, "Are you sick?"

I shook my head, "I ate too much."

Butcher continued to rub my back and flushed the toilet. I shut my eyes and opened them slowly. I turned to Butcher and he helped me up, "Are you good?"

I nodded, "I need a bath."
-

The following two weeks, I went through hell. I could barely keep any food down, and I was looking sickly. I was so sick, I could barely move. I wasn't even able to go to Milwaukee for Butcher's birthday.

"I can't just leave you here," he told me as I laid on the couch.

"Go, have a good time," I waved him off, "plus, I don't think your mom even wants me there."

Butcher gave me an apologetic smile; it was a fact that Mrs. Mrotek didn't like the fact that I was "shacking up" with her son. She assumed that we were sleeping together without being married. She's a bit closed minded. 

"I shouldn't leave you," he pushed again, "You're sick."

"I'll be fine, I'll call if I need you. You're only 2 hours away."

He sighed, "You're the most stubbornest kid I have ever met."

I rolled my eyes, "I just want my best buddy to have a good birthday."

Butcher nodded, feeling my forehead, "I'm taking you to the doctor when I get back."

I shook my head, "I hate doctors, you know that, and plus, I might just have food poisoning."

He rolled his own eyes, "For over a week?"

I sighed, again, "Please, B, just give me some cold medicine."

"Fine," he pecked my forehead, "I'll bring you some medicine, and get Sisky super drunk for you."

I smiled, "Thanks, Butchy."

"Anything for you, kid."
♠ ♠ ♠
Powdered Sugar & Concrete is something The Butcher said to me, the first time I met him, odd that I being this up, but he used that line in a song, and I was listening to it while I was writing this. I know, it's cliche to put the song titles/lyrics as chapter titles, but it's special to me, and this chapter opens up more about Butcher and Sunny's friendship. I hope you all liked it :)

BTW is this chapter too long?