‹ Prequel: All I Wanted

Paint It Black

Say It

Frank's POV

I could feel my palms grow sweaty as we made our way to our son's recovery room. Sunny held my hand tightly, squeezing every so often, and I lifted it, each time, and kissed the back of her hand. I held the baby's car seat in the other, clutching it securely.

Once we got to the room, we could hear the soft cries of the other babies who shared the space with him. We signed in, saying hello to the nurses and went to his bedside. Jenna, the nurse we knew so well, was putting on warm clothes for him.

"He's almost ready," she smiled at us.

"Hi baby," Sunny let go of my hand and went to him. He gave her a quizzical look, but reached out for her. Jenna put a small, blue cloth hat on his head and gave him to Sunny. He placed his head on her chest and curled his fingers around her loose t-shirt.

"Did you all bring the car seat?" Jenna asked.

"Yep," I lifted the seat onto the chair beside his incubator.

Sunny set him inside and strapped him up. Jenna said her final goodbyes to us, and helped us out. I helped strap him up in the car, all the while he just kept staring up at me. I kissed his cheek and he shut his eyes and yawned.

I was officially in love with this kid.

I drove, while Sunny sat in the passenger seat; Joey has already fallen asleep. She stared at him while I started the car, a smile dancing across her lips, the apples of her cheeks reddening.

"He's so cute," she murmured, "I love him so much." She glanced up at me, "Is it cliche to thank you for planting your seed?"

I laughed at her, pulling out of the visitor's parking lot; "Planting my seed?" I joked.

"Yes, planting your seed, Mr. Iero. It seems appropriate to say."

I shrugged, driving straight out the lot, "You can thank me all you want, babe."

She leaned back in her seat, her knees buckling together, her legs spread out, and the tips of her toes meeting. Her cheeks grew with a smile, and I tried not to notice, because I would be a happy mess too.

"Well...thank you Frankie. Thank you for helping me create that little monster back there," she looked at me again.

"Thank you for pushing him out," I countered with a snort; she slugged me lightly.

"You're welcome," she answered back smugly.
-

Joey was still asleep when we arrived at Sunny's. The entire house was quiet, and there was a white banner, with red lettering, across the living room entry, that read "Welcome Home!". Everyone wanted to come later on, since it was morning, to let the kid adjust to being home. Sunny didn't disagree with this; she wanted Joey to live in his room for a little while before he'd be in the living room all night.

I helped her the stairs, and into his bedroom, which now smelled like pumpkin spice and apples, due to candles. Joey was cradled in her arms, snoozing on her chest, and probably couldn't hear her talking to him.

"You'll be living in here for a little while," she cooed to him, "your Godfather, Butcher, drew and painted everything in here. I hope you'll get to spend some vacations here and appreciate it as much as I do." She carried him throughout the room, while I watched from the side of the crib.

The sight made me feel a slight tingle and gush inside. I was feeling like sap, in a good way, and it made me happy. I crossed my arms, smiling at the two of them.

"...Jersey's nice, but Chicago will always be home," she told him softly, "we'll come here as much as possible, I promise. Then I'll take you up to Michigan, when you're a little older, and we can watch the fireworks on the 4th of July, and camp out with daddy," she smiled at me, "it will all be perfect." She placed a kiss on the top of his head before placing him into his crib. He didn't stir, he just curled his fingers up to his face and continued to sleep.

"I can't wait for my folks to meet him," I murmured, "they're coming to visit before I head off on the tour," I reminded her.

"Yeah, I remember."

I pulled her arm, pulling her close to me, "You can do it without me?" I asked.

She nodded, looking up at me, "Yes."

I wrapped my arms around her middle, resting my head on her shoulder; she placed a sweet kiss on my jaw; "You're amazing, you know that?"

She just huffed happily, "Cheesy, much?"

I looked up at her, "I'm speaking the truth, baby. Cheesy or not."

She giggled, kissing the base of my throat, "I know."

Her warm breath sunk into my skin, causing a slew of goosebumps to rise against my skin, "I love you so much, it should be illegal."

She giggled again, "If this is the life, then who would argue?"

I leaned forward, kissing her lips gently, smacking softly and shifted my hands up her body and resting at her jaw. Her hands settled at my hips, while my cradled her jaw and my lips continued to kiss hers. My stomach twisted and churned so nicely, it was almost too much to handle.
-

All of Sunny's friends showed up a few hours later, asking for the baby. He was wide awake when they showed up, and was taken for a ride as they each held him.

Sunny and I sat on the couch, while her friend Bill held him; he had his own daughter with him, who was about 3 or so. She was cute, with pretty blond hair, and she liked looking at Joey.

"Bandit has competition," I whispered to Sunny.

She huffed, "No one is touching my boy until he's in his thirties," she nudged me, chuckling.

The rest of the night, Joey continued to be passed around until he fell asleep. Sunny had said goodbye to everyone, and i helped her put him to bed.

"I'm gonna go smoke," I pecked her cheek.

"Okay, I'll be in bed."

I kissed her again, and jogged down the stairs.The living room was empty, but I expected Butcher to be there, that is until I saw him swinging on the porch swing in the back yard. The porch light lit him up, and I followed outside.

He nodded to me, a cigarette between his fingers, "What's up?"

"Smoke," I stepped out and closed the door behind me. I pulled my Marlboro pack from my pocket, and grabbed one. I leaned against the door and lit it; we were both quiet, inhaling and exhaling clouds of grey smoke.

"How does it feel?" He asked a few minutes later.

"What? I raised my brow.

"Y'know, to be a dad."

I shrugged, letting the cigarette limp on my lips. I truly didn't feel that I was a dad now; "It feels normal," I told him truthfully.

"After everything? It hasn't hit you?"

I shook my head, "No."

He stood up, leaning over to me, "Maybe you should say it, maybe it'll sink in."

"Say what?" I tossed my cigarette butt.

"That you have a son."

I chuckled, "Are you serious?"

He nodded, "Yep."

I eyed him for a minute, then I sighed; "I have a son," I said slowly.

"Come on! Like you fucking mean it," He nudged me.

"I have a son," I spoke louder, "I have a son."

Butcher chuckled, "Louder."

"I have a son!" I laughed, but all be damned, the guy was right. I started to feel it, it was sinking in. "I have a son," My voice was lower this time, "I have a little boy." I heart began to beat rapidly, "I have an awesome kid..."

Butcher patted my shoulder, tossing his cigarette butt, "Told you, man!"

"It feels real now."

"See." Butcher continued to laugh, while I let it sink in. That crazy asshole was right.

I have a son.
♠ ♠ ♠
I originally planned to call this chapter Thank You For Planting Your Seed...but I decided against it.
And I was thinking of doing a triquel to this but in Joey's POV, what do think? Nothing is set in stone, and i don't want to run the Sunny/Frank thing into the ground. And, this is the second to last chapter; I'm really sad guys! I loved writing this! Thank you guys, very much for reading. It means the world to me!