‹ Prequel: All I Wanted

Paint It Black

Auto Pilot

I had said my goodbyes to Ray and Gee, and went to eat. I wasn't worried about talking to Frank, hopefully it'd do us some good. I didn't exactly plan what I would say, all I hoped was that I wouldn't cry.

After eating, I went to the hotel. My mind was a total blank, as if it was routine. I didn't really think about much; that is until I saw Frank.

He smiled at me, tossing his cigarette butt, and came over to the car. I watched him climb inside, wipe his hands on his legs and look to me.

"I didn't exactly plan where we'd go," he muttered sheepishly.

"The beach is cool, it's quiet right now," I felt like my mind was on auto-pilot.

"Ok, that sounds good."

I drove out of the car park and headed down the street. Frank shifted a little, nervously, in his seat. I didn't watch him, I paid attention to the road, and turned on the radio.

"My iPod is docked," I told him, "you can play whatever you like on it," he looked at me, and then at my iPod. 

He grabbed it and began to fiddle around with it, until he found something he liked. Nevermind by Nirvana began to play, skipping to In Bloom. I listened to him sing along, making me want to smile, but I held back.

"And he's the one who likes our pretty songs," I sang, too.

Frank chuckled, "Still got great taste in music."

I continued listening to him sing, until we pulled up at the beach parking lot. I parked, turned the car off, but idled it to keep the music on. I turned to Frank, who was now singing Polly; but he stopped when our eyes met.

"Um, I guess I should start, right?" I nodded, really unsure, "I just wanted to say I'm sorry, Sunny, I really am."

I ran a hand through my hair, "Don't apologize, please, I hate apologies."

"Too bad," he smirked at me, it was more of a grin now, "I want to."

"Okay, fine you apologized."

"That's not all," he scratched the back of his head, "I wanted to tell you that Marilyn and I aren't together." 

I raised my brow, I didn't really care, "So?"

"Kara isn't my daughter."

I didn't know who Kara was, so I assumed it was their baby. I didn't know how to take it in; I wasn't happy, nor was I sad. But, then I didn't believe him.

"Frank," I started, feeling he was saying this to comfort me, or make up, "don't say that about your kid, she--"

He cut me off, "We did a DNA test."

I turned my lips down, "Who's the father?" I asked dumbly. 

"That guy you hit," he pointed to my hand.

I raised my brow, "Dave Rivers?" he nodded, "Damn."

"We decided to get a DNA test a few months back." Frank spat bitterly, "I can't believe her."

I winced a little, "I'm sorry about that, Frank." I looked at him; his features were tight.

"I went off on her, I don't think I ever yelled at a woman before," he tweaked his lips, "the worse part was that I lost, somewhat, a child, and...I lost you for no reason at all." I became silent, unsure of what to say. Frank looked at me, his eyes darting across my face, then at my lap, "I didn't say all this to get us back together, though it'd be nice, I know you're happy now."

Happy? I wasn't happy, I was going through the motions with pills. I was a bit bitter; Marilyn was the one who put us in this state.

"I'm not happy," I told him quietly, "I haven't been naturally happy in the longest time."

He squared me up, "What do you mean?"

"I'm on pills, I'm in the verge of some kind of meltdown, I lost--" I stopped myself; I hadn't thought to tell him.

"You lost what?" he asked, curiously.

"Mikey didn't tell you, did he?" I asked with the same curious tone.

"Tell me what?"

I sighed, leaning back in the seat, "I...I was pregnant."

He furrowed his brows, trying to read me, too, "By who?"

I almost laughed, "You."

He still looked confused, "What? Where is--"

I cut him off, "I lost him, it was a little boy. I named him Sage."

Frank's face soften, and he placed a hand on my knee, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I never thought about it," I admitted.

"How? How did it happen?"

I exasperated, feeling heavy in my chest, "I was in a car accident."

He nodded, removing his hand, "I'm sorry, Sunny."

"It's okay, I've been trying to get over it. So far, it's working."

We both grew silent, but Frank's glares were sympathetic, as if he were apologizing, again, through expression. I looked to my lap, staring at my bony knees.

"Was your boyfriend okay with it?" he asked suddenly.

"I hadn't met Tyler until two months after."

He nodded, "How long--"

I cut him off, again, "We aren't together."

Frank tugged at his lip, looking down, now. I looked at him, noticing his features again; "You took out your piercings," I noted softly.

He looked at me, "Oh, yeah, I was trying to change it up."

"You look so grown up without them," I smiled a little.

"Well, thanks," he pretended to be offended.

"I like when you look grown up," I told him with a sly smile.

"Yeah, I know," he gave me a smug glance, "and I see you've grown, too, with the smoking and coffee."

I rolled my eyes, "Nicotine and caffeine got the best of me."

"You've joined the dark side."

I hummed a response, "Coffee is my best friend."

We both became silent, once again, but it wasn't awkward. The car was filled with soft music, and us quietly enjoying each others presence.

"I missed you," he finally uttered, "and not in a cheesy, 'Oh let's get married and be together forever' type thing. I mean, I missed your presence, I missed having you around."

I huffed happily, "I can't say the same." He raised his brow, "The pills," I added.

He nodded, "It's cool."

"What have you been doing without me?" I asked, genuinely interested.

"Wondering what you've been doing."

I chuckled, "We're some odd people."

"I know."

I looked over at him, "I care about you, Frank, I do."

He smiled, "I know that," he pursed his lips, "can we be friends?"

I nodded, "I wouldn't want it any other way."
-

I wasn't sure if I should tell Tyler about Frank and I being cool again. Knowing Ty, he'd want to talk to Frank and, most likely, yell at him. Tyler wasn't the one for confrontation, but he always tried to make people see right from wrong. I knew I'd have to tell him, he'd want to know anyway.

I drove over to his place, after. It was nearly 6. I pulled up at the his home, seeing a familiar car parked at the curb. I shook my head, knowing exactly who was inside, an I didn't want to follow in, but I parked anyway.

I walked up the stairs, to the duplex, knocking on the door. There was a few muffled noises, I felt like I was disturbing them. I sighed, stepped back, and heard the door unlock.

"Oh, hey," Tyler opened the door, shirtless.

I frowned, to myself, "Sorry, was I interrupting?"

He looked back, then at me, "A little."

I nodded, "It's Emme?"

He tweaked his lips, "Yeah," he admitted reluctantly.

"I'll see you, babe," I pat his cheek, giving him a smile.

"Sorr--"

I cut him off, "It's cool, just call me later."

Ty leaned down and pecked my forehead, "Let me walk you."

He walked out his apartment, closing the door, and followed me down to the curb. I got the driver side, stopping and turning to Tyler.

"I'll see you," he smiled down at me.

"Okay. I love you," he wrapped his arms around me.

I patted his back, "Love you."

I couldn't tell you, exactly, what me and Tyler's relationship, now, was.

He has an ex, Emme, who he's been dating, on and off, for 4 years. She's a tall, dirty blond, with pale skin, and a bad attitude. She doesn't like me, and I don't know why, I haven't even said a complete sentence to her. I tried being nice, but she just cut those nasty eyes at me. I try and stay away from her as much as possible. I guess she's the baggage that I would have to deal with.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just had a major brain storm about what'll happen between Sunny and Frank next. It's gonna be so freaking emotional! I write like three chapters during my social studies class, so I deserve like a freaking medal or something! But, I hope you all will like it. And I'm not sure about building the relationship between Tyler and Sunny, I like him, but I dunno...