Status: ACTIVE!!!

The Forever Necklace

Chapter 1

Jen Potter paced back and forth, waiting for 8 ‘o clock to come. The common room was empty except for Ophilia and Sarlanda, who had snuck into the Gryffindor common room under the cloak. Even with her friends there, Jen remained silent.
“It can’t be anything too bad; you haven’t done a thing wrong. And Dumbledore’s fair, even if you have,” Sarlanda said.
“Besides, Jen, we’ll come with you if you are expelled.” Ophilia: not always the best source of comfort. Jen just shook her head and made way to the portrait hole.
“Tell Fred and George I can’t help them prank Draco.”
The Fat Lady was irritated, telling Jen that by the time she gets back it’ll be far past curfew. Not three paces down the corridor, Fred and George jumped out at her from behind a suite of armor.
“We hear you can’t help us trick ickle second year Draco,” said one of the twins.
“How do you do that,” Jen said incredulously.
“Do what? Know what’s happened in the common room?” Jen was sure that was Fred.
“Magic,” the twins said together.
“Well, either way no, I can’t help you. Dumbledore’s called me to his office. And it might be bad.”
“We’ll walk with you!” George said, or maybe it was Fred.
They set off at a brisk pace, Jen talking the entire way, worrying about what Dumbledore could possibly need to speak to her for. Slowly the windows began to show less light and the corridors blackened, only lit by the occasional lantern that hung by a teacher’s study. The trio walked up to Dumbledore’s gargoyle.
“Jelly slugs,” Jen said before glancing at the twins. They couldn’t possibly go up with her.
“We’ll wait here,” they said, practically reading her mind.
“And if you get caught?”
“We know how to hide,” that had to be Fred.
Jen jogged up the stairs and readied her fist to knock once but the door flew open before she got the chance. An irate Snape stood looming over the medium height, red-haired girl. His black eyes stared into her pure hazel ones and for a moment she thought his softened then concluded it must be a trick of the light.
“Good night, Headmaster,” Snape said, before shoving her aside and sweeping out the door like a great bat.
“Enter, Miss Potter. Please sit down. Now, you may be wondering why I called you here this evening. By how nervous you look I believe I am right to assume you thought you were in trouble. Why no, you are not Miss Potter,” Jen immediately relaxed. Dumbledore had a voice that stated he was down-to-business, but cared for his students. It was almost calming. A magic she had never seen before. “I believe you remember how desperate Lord Voldemort was to get his hands on the Sorcerer’s Stone last year?”
“Yes, sir,” Jen said, speaking for the first time since she entered his office.
“Well now he’s after something just as powerful and just as efficient at keeping him alive. He’s after this.”
In Dumbledore’s hand he held a gold chain with a blood-red amulet. It was almost garnet but when he shifted his arm the slightest it reflected a smooth black instead. The small charm intrigued Jen to the point where she was actually leaning in to see it better. All her focus went into it and it was only Dumbledore’s palm closing over the jewel that brought her back to the real world.
“What is it?”
“What it is is not important. What is important is that we keep it safe. That you keep it safe, Miss Potter. I give this task to you, trusting that Voldemort knows so little about you that you will keep it safe and still be safe yourself, whilst knowing how incredibly important it is that you don’t let him get it. Wear it. Don’t let it away from you for a moment. Not a moment, do you understand, Miss Potter?”
“Yes, Sir.” Dumbledore handed her the gold chain which she wrapped around her neck and tucked under her robes.
“Very well then. You may go. But before you do I must say, next time please remind the Weasley twins to follow curfew. It is for their safety that they stay in Gryffindor tower, no matter how noble the cause is for them sneaking out.”
“Yes, sir.” ‘holy hippogriffs!’ Jen thought, ‘Does everyone but me have psychic powers? Well, me and Trelawney, of course.’ With that, she walked out of his office, the necklace hopping on her chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short. Sorry.
Thank you so so so much to Jennie (Icamane) for all the help, support, and characters!