God Made Friends So Everyone Wouldn't Kill Themselves

Chapter 12

When I woke up it was still light out, but there was no one else on the bus. I shook Trevor, and when his sleepy eyes opened he asked, "What time is it?"

I took out my phone and looked at the clock. "4:30. I'll go ask the bus driver where we are." I turned out that we were 30 miles from where we first got on. And because of traffic and other stops, it would take 45 minutes on the the ride back.

I went back to Trevor and he was holding his stomach. "Sam, I'm staving. I didn't get to eat more than a bite of my lunch. Do you think we could stop and get something to eat before we go back?"

I sat down next to him. "Sure, I guess, but first I have to call my parents and tell them where I am." I dialed our home phone number and my dad picked up.

"Sam! Is this you?" He seemed worried.

"Yeah, dad, it's me. Right after school I took a bus to the mall. I'm still here. I completely forgot to call you. I'm sorry." I lied.

My dad sighed. "Yes, honey, you can stay. Just next time remember to call and tell your mother and I where you went. Which mall are you at?"

I thought it would be better to tell him I went to the far one, because it would take us a while to get back. "Hawthorn. I know it's far, but the bus would only stop there. Do you mind if I get something to eat and come home?"

"Okay. Just make sure you are home before 7:00." His voice seemed far away. "It's gets dark then."

I knew what he was thinking. I didn't want him or my mom to worry about me. "Of course, dad. I'll be home. Bye." I hung up. I felt releived that my dad didn't mention anything about the school calling about my absence. Since I sit in the back of every class, my stupid teachers probably didn't notice. Trevor was looking at me in a knowing way, probably about me lying to my dad.

"You shouldn't be sneaky, Sam." I could tell he was kidding. His eyes danced with curiosity.

"Well, I decided my parents wouldn't like it that much if I told him I was with some boy they never met or heard about before. So I just told a little white lie. Is there something wrong with that?" I made an innocent puppy-dog face.

He laughed. "No, I don't care. I like a girl with rebel. But your parents might care, if they find out."

"Oh, don't worry, they won't."

A few minutes later we got off at the last stop. We asked when the next bus would come and the driver said 6:00. It was just enough time to get something to eat and explore the town.

We stopped at a little town. It was quaint but cute. We walked around town for a while, talking about school, annoying teachers, annoying kids. Finally we both agreed that we couldn't walk any farther without something to eat. We came across a little resturant called, "The Firehouse Grill." We found out from our waiter that it used to be a working firehouse, and when it closed they made it a resturant. We decided we didn't want to sit around, so we went to the upstairs area which had video games and a mini shuffleboard table. After ordering, we played suffleboard with my money(since Trevor insisted on paying for our meal). It was fun, and when we finally got our food we really worked up an appetite. Trevor got a hamburger and I got their famous grilled cheese. It had bacon and tomato in it, too. We ordered dessert and after splitting a sundae, we were full.

We walked around and came to a little music store. I thought my parents would be suspicious if I came home without buying anything. And besides, I'd rather by cds than clothes.

It just so happened that we liked the same music. I bought some oldies, a little Beatles, ACDC and Smashing Pumpkins. And I got some new stuff, the two Fall Out Boy albums that I didn't already have, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, October Fall, Green Day and My Chemical Romance. After we were satisfied with what we bought, we headed back to the bus stop because it was 5:45 and already near dusk. Soon the bus came. We sat back in the same seats we did before. I felt tired, but I forced myself to stay awake.

Soon we were back in our town. We jogged down the streets because it was already 6:50. Soon we came to a small house and Trevor stopped running. "This is my place," he said.

"Okay, see ya later." I hugged him. "It was a fun day, thanks for everything."

He smiled and blushed. "Don't mention it," He went to his door, turned back to me and waved. I waved back, and headed home. I sighed. I loved this day.