God Made Friends So Everyone Wouldn't Kill Themselves

Chapter 13

A week went by and I loved it. I was always out doing something with Trevor, whether it was going to a concert or just finishing homework in the library. We had a couple classes together so in those subjects we would help eachother out. He was my best friend.

****** ****** ******

Meanwhile, my parents had been planning my brother's funeral. They had been putting it off for a long time, and when it finally came that if they put it off any longer they couldn't show Andy's body at the funeral because it would smell and look really bad, they gave in. They decided that no one was allowed to wear black, because that was Andy's least favorite color. I didn't like this. When I told my mother I was going to wear grey she said, 'Samantha! You know your brother didn't like black. Grey is the same thing but lighter. You can wear those white slacks I got you for Christmas.'

These slacks were the ugliest pants I had ever seen. They were baggy and to big for me. I also had to wear a shirt that was 'appropriate', and the only one I could find was this ugly green one.

The day of the funeral I woke up with a runny nose and cough. It was probably because the night before it was around 60 degrees and nice out, so Trevor and I swam in the lake for a little bit. It was cold, but I didn't want to admit it.

At the funeral I didn't really pay attention. Nothing the minister said could have summed up what Andy really was. He was cute and nice and, most of the time, annoying, but I still loved him. He was my brother, my only sibling, and I took that for granted. I always thought that I could say, 'sorry' or 'I love you' later. I wished he knew that before he left. I realized that I have to seize the moment and tell people what you really feel.

I had a lot of tissues in my pocket because of my runny nose. Whenever I used one, people thought that I was crying. My mom kept rubbing my back and whispering, 'It's ok, sweetie, I feel the same way you do,". It was really boring after; people I didn't even know came up to me and said stuff like, 'I know how hard this is on you,", but they didn't know. No one would ever know how I felt.

I was tired when I got home. My parents wanted to talk, but I told them I wasn't in the mood. I went to my room and, after changing, fell asleep the second I hit my matress.