God Made Friends So Everyone Wouldn't Kill Themselves

Chapter 5

We walked into the hospital in silence. My dad asked for Andy Mayson's room, and I nearly died when I heard his name.

We rode the elevator to the 4th floor, but they wouldn't let us see him. I sat there in the waiting room, along with my dad and mom. I wouldn't look at my mom, after what I said that morning. And then it hit me. If Andy, dies, then they last thing I said to him was, "fuck you." I felt so guilty, and my only hope was that Andy lived.

I think I might have fallen asleep in my chair, because it was about an hour later when I woke up, even though it seemed like minutes. Soon, some doctor walked into the waiting room. He said, "I'm so sorry, but Andy didn't make it."

I sat there with those words ringing in my ears. I couldn't understand what just happened. I pinched myself to try to wake up from a dream, and I pinched myself so hard i started to bleed.

My dad let me drive home in his car, because he didn't think I could handle staying in that place.

I sat in the car in silence, thinking things over. But when I pulled into the drive way, I saw my brother's old bike sitting there. And that's what broke me down.

I ran up to my room sobbing, and pulled open all my dresser drawers. I threw my clothes all over my room, looking for the knife. When I finally found it, I didn't want to take the time to go to the bathroom. So I flipped the knife out, and pulled up my sleeve. Up near my elbow I ripped the knife into my skin. Blood came rushing forth, in a crimson color. I felt so good, and I wanted to do it again. I started ripping up my arm, and it looked beautiful. I stood there staring at what I had done, but then I stopped. I dropped the knife in disbelief. I thought maybe my mind was playing tricks on me, but it wasn't. There, written in my markings, was the one word, Andy.