Status: I'll update pretty fast...if you want?

You Don't Have to Be Alone

Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen
Parker's POV

"Ainsley…Ainsley, babe…time to get up, sweetie," I murmured, gently shaking a sleepy Ainsley awake. Ainsley whined and rolled over, his pillow covering his bed-head. I sighed, smiling slightly.

Ainsley is definitely not a morning person, but he needs to get up NOW.
School starts in half an hour and I've given him as much time to sleep as I could. I've already been up for two hours and had eaten breakfast with Shannon and Drew, who were both ridiculously happy. It was kind of hilarious really. Shannon ran off to go get Blaze…which I sense isn't going to end well, and Drew tried inconspicuously to go get Jamie. He failed. Jamie tackled him halfway down the hall and planted a kiss right on a surprised Drew's lips. So much for trying to keep that relationship quiet.

So here I was, uselessly trying to wake my unconscious boyfriend. "Well, fine then. I figured we could do it, but if you're too tired…"

"WHAT?!" Ainsley shot out of the bed on top of me. "Are you serious?" He kissed me.

I rolled my eyes. "You faker," I pouted. "I wasn't serious, but since you're up let's go to school."

Ainsley turned a hilarious purple color. "Are you for real? Come on, Parker. Will you now?"

"No."

"Now?"

"No."

"Please?"

"We'd be late for school."

"So?"

"You are a bad influence," I laughed.

"Okay. Maybe later," Ainsley said, cheerfully.

"Or not," I said.

"Hope springs eternal," Ainsley said, pulling a pair of pants on over his boxers.

I giggled and pecked him on the cheek. He intertwined our fingers and pulled me down the stairs. "You going to show everyone how super amazingly smart you are, sweetie," Ainsley teased. "I'm sure you'll do great and start taking college classes like the teeny tiny genius you are."

I hmphed. Teeny tiny? I'm a perfectly good size. I can't help that everyone around me are skyscrapers.

As we descended to the first floor of the mansion, we separated our hands, but kept walking just a bit too close together. I knew that for some reason, Ainsley didn't want anyone here to know about us. It doesn't make sense, but I'm not going to make him tell if he doesn't want to. I just don't get why he won't…it sucks.

We walked into the dining hall and Shannon immediately pranced over to us. "Are you having a good day? I'm having a good day. Isn't it nice out. I saw a squirrel. It ran up a tree and I tried to chase it, but Blaze was being an assface and told me I'm not allowed in trees anymore 'cause I keep hurting my ass and-" Shannon stopped suddenly, blushing, after saying all of that in one breath.

"And what?" Ainsley asked, laughing.

Shannon muttered something under his breath, that I couldn't quite hear.

"What was that?" I asked, starting to giggle a little myself.

"-And Blaze wants to be the only person who make my butt hurt," Shannon mumbled, turning bright red.

"Yuck. Am I supposed to "aww" because you two are obviously dating, or gag at the creepy image?" Ainsley inquired, turning a bit green. I think he chose to gag.

Shannon turned even more crimson.

I just laughed harder.

"What was that?" a quiet, laughing voice from behind us. I looked up to see a smirking Blaze.

Shannon, if possible, turned even redder.

This just made Blaze smirk wider. Shannon should slap that look right off of his face!

"Gah! Why do you have to be so irritating?! Asshole!"

Blaze snorted. "Losing your temper is the greatest sign of being intellectually frustrated."

Shannon rolled his eyes. "I'm sure it is."

"Sarcasm is in second place." Blaze looked smug.

I tried not to laugh. I guess Shannon noticed. He glared. Hmph. Someone's being moody today. Not saying any names. SHANNON! Nope. That wasn't me saying anything. Uh-uh. I've just been right over here being all quiet. Ainsley's my witness. You can ask him, but you have to remember that sometimes Ainsley can be a pathological liar. He just can't help himself. Just saying.

Anyway, I should probably leave this awkward couple moment. Pulling Ainsley after me, I went to the front check-in desk. Guess who was behind it?! Evil-letter-giver-make-me-feel-stupid-lady! You guessed right! Or not, but since I want to salvage your self esteem I'll pretend I didn't notice your epic fail. Even though I really did.

"Beat her up!" I hissed. Kind of. I can't really hiss. It usually requires some cat-likeness, which I definitely don’t have. After all, I'm a bird! WAIT A MINUTE HERE! Cat eats bird! Eaten bird equals sad, digested Parker, which none of us want. And Ainsley's a cat! But cats are bad and Ainsley's a cat, but Ainsley's not bad, even though he can hiss better than me. Got it? I hope so, because I don't.

Ainsley didn’t kick that mean lady's ass like he was supposed to. He just laughed at me and pulled me onto the tops of his feet, so I didn't have to do any of that pesky walking nonsense. That's for lesser mortals, not a wonderful, godly Parker-bird like me!

There was a ridiculously long line in front of us, but Ainsley had a stupid moment and thought standing in this line would be fun. I don't know what he's smoking, but I want some! Not really. Be drug-free, children! If you don't you could take what's known as a "bad trip" and completely wack out. See? I know everything. Me and MY-you hear that creepers-My Ainsley got some very pedophile/perverted/I don't even want to know what they were thinking, looked from people.

I tried, inconspicuously, to cover myself, since it felt like they were staring right through my clothes. That is not a happy feeling, let me tell you. They just got even scarier looks in their piggy, x-ray eyes. Let's just focus on something else, shall we? There was a huge-no massive stack of papers and files on that wicked lady's desk. It looked like she had every shape-shifter's in the world's name in those folders. "She does," Ainsley whispered, almost reading my mind.

It made me nervous for a second really. I hope Ainsley can't read my mind yet. I'm not ready for that kind of commitment. Are you confused? I swear I explained this already. No? All right then. When a boy and a g-uh, boy, in this case, love each other very much, they get closer and closer until they know pretty much everything about them and then they really do know everything about them-like their every thought and stuff. Don't even mention a certain vampire or I swear to you I will push you off a cliff and you will fall very far onto some pointy rocks. It hardly ever happens and is very cool and all that, but it also means your happiness in completely dependent on someone else and if they leave or die you don't fall in love again. Kind of a big risk and me and Ainsley are really too young to make that decision, even though I do want to be with him forever. "And every family member of every known shape-shifter. You'll be on there," Ainsley reassured me with a sweet smile.

I don't know why, but when Ainsley tries to help me calm down, I do. Even when we had to get our forms from that psycho, I repressed the urge to make a very rude hand gesture and just walked off with Ainsley to the desks in the back. I sat in the desk next to Ainsley right behind a very hard-working Avery and a bored Jamie. First, I opened to the math portion, filled in my name, date, and all the other usual info teachers hope we're stupid enough to forget.

Then I moved on to the questions. 1. List the numbers from one to ten. Um, okay? Jamie saw my confused look and whispered, "They give the same test to college students as to kindergarteners. It's a placement test." Alright. That makes sense. I breezed through the rest of the problems and worked on every other subject getting through them just as easily.

I glanced over at Ainsley who had his head in his hands. "Ugh, I hate this!" Ainsley whined, as I got up. "Are you seriously done?! That's it. I'm going to steal your brain and make myself super smart."

"But then I'll be brainless," I said. "You'd have to give me yours."

Ainsley groaned. "Parker. NO! There is no flaw to my brilliant taking over the world plan. Besides, I want to know what goes on in your head."

"Are you sure about that? I could be a secret serial killer and get off hacking people into bite-sized pieces." I was sure I'd won, but Ainsley just couldn't let that happen, could he?

"Yeah, a midget who throws up at the sight of blood." Ainsley started shaking he was laughing so hard. Jeez, is violent me that hilarious? One day I will change that! I will terrify the whole world with my awesomeness…Oh crap. I guess I really am that pathetic. I should join sports and lift weights and be a manly man! Yeah, you in the corner quivering in fear. You know what I'm talking about. In fact, you're already scared shitless.

I stalked away from Ainsley's happy bubble and turned in my test to that mean old bat. "Go back to your dorm and don't talk to anyone on your way there. Your test will be graded within the next week and you will then be informed of where you will be placed." The lady said, sounding like she was sucking a lemon. I guess she doesn't like having to talk to me, or any children for that matter. She's probably the only adult around here that knows what most of the teenagers here are really like. They do drugs, have sex, and (egad!) some are even gay. What would their parents think? Well, there definitely wouldn't be so many teenagers in one place.

I might disease those around me. Actually, that sounds like a good idea! We'd get thrown out of here and get to go back home. I'd take Shannon with me and Jamie and Drew of course. Blaze would come along to because even though he pretends not to, I know he secretly loves Shannon and we all know what an adorable couple they are! Maybe even Ashton and Crowe would come! That'd be kind of interesting, but Ainsley's blood pressure would go through the roof. Aw, we don't want any heart attacks. I'd have to beat Ashton up, which I can most likely…not likely…never in a million years do. But I can pretend.

I walked back to my dorm, quietly, ignoring all the people who gave me strange looks…maybe speeding up a little when I saw some of the more threatening looks. Yeah, I don't really need to get my ass kicked (Or any other horrible thing!) today. It's not in my game plan.

Suddenly, I was jumped. Teach me not to space out. Always be aware of your surroundings, little cricket…um, grasshopper. I meant grasshopper. I looked down to see some random girl only a couple of years older than me with her arms and legs wrapped around me. I didn't say anything. I figured she'd get bored and wander off after a bit, but do you think that worked? Well, you're wrong. The girl just held on.

"Where's Ainsley?" She asked after a while.

What? I really have to question the number of crazies Ainsley knows. Let's review, shall we? Ashton, Crowe, Blaze, Jamie, and now weirdo girl.

"T-taking the p-pl-placement t-test," I murmured, trying to plan my escape. If I play dead, then run away real fast she'll be too surprised to catch me. Besides, I'm like the Flash, so I've got that going for me as well.

"Don’t drop me, or I will beat you up," the girl warned. "At least say so if you can't carry me. Sorry, but you seem kind of weak and shrimpy."

"I am not! I'm perfectly average sized. Everyone else is freakishly tall."

The girl raised an eyebrow. "Do you know what "average" means?...I'm Zoe, by the way. You're Parker," she said, then leaned in real close like we were sharing a secret. "You're dating my nephew," she whispered in my ear. I guess we were since Ainsley didn't want the adults to know. Ainsley's in the closet! Aw, how cute. "Put me down," she said, abruptly.

I know I looked confused. Did I make her mad? I didn't even say anything.

She skipped off, screaming at someone in the distance.

I guess she's not that mad. I continued my walk, deciding to put the strange girl out of my mind. I'd just get confused and I don’t need that right this minute. When I got back to me and Ainsley's room, I realized I had no idea what to do. I'm getting way to dependent on Ainsley. New mission: find something to do by myself. Hm? I paced the cozy, sitting room at the base of the stairs. Then, remembered the boring, white walls of our bedroom. I need paint. Lots and lots of paint.

I ran back into the hall, trying to find someone who could help me find some. I waited until I found someone who looked slightly less likely to push me into an unoccupied closet; a more daunting task than it seemed. 'Ugh,' I groaned, mentally. Why are there so many freaks here? Maybe there are some normal ones upstairs. I know I saw a staircase going up somewhere, I just have to find it again. And I will because I am Bond, James Bond. Or not. Whatever, you know what I mean.

I scampered around the floor I was on and went to all the places I'd been so far. Finally, down the hall I'd gone to, trying to find the bathroom, completely forgetting that there was a bathroom in my room. Stupid, I know, but I'm not used to it.

The stair case was rickety and at the end of a narrow corridor. I walked, back straight resisting the urge to look behind me guiltily, up the stairs. No one else was in sight and I didn't feel like I belonged here. To my surprise, no one stopped me. I turned the corner and almost gasped. I hadn't, considering the state of the staircase expected much, but the hallway in front of me looked even more like a castle than the lower two floors did. There was no electricity. Instead, there were torches made from an expensive looking dark metal that I couldn't identify. The flames were a dazzling white color, which turned a light bluish color when I focused my eyes and they sent off a surprising amount of light. The windowless corridor in front of me had stone walls, ceilings, and floors which I could see under the rich carpeting. I walked even more hesitantly down the halls, forgetting why I'd even come here. I admit I was curious and besides no one told me I couldn't be here.

Still, I was surprised some creepy old person didn't jump out at me. You know how those creepy old people can be. At the end of the first corridor, there was a wider hallway with evenly spaced narrow ones like the one I'd come out of. I didn't hear anyone and there was no sound but the eerie silence. I don't think my paint excuse would fly down here, but even that didn't compel me to go back to my room and wait patiently for Ainsley.

Just then, I was kicked in the rear end. I toppled over, surprised. Wouldn't you be? It's not the usual greeting. "Wha' ya doin' here, youngin'? Youngin's like yourselves stay downstairs." I looked up to see an old man with crazy white hair that flew in all directions. He was standing in a ninja pose. My ego can't drop any lower. Now senior citizens are beating my ass. Literally. I should be ashamed of myself.

"Uh…uh-um, I…I was l-loking f-for a st-st-storage cl-closet…and s-some p-p-paint while I was w-waiting f-f-for my-um…never mind." I blushed insanely red and against all odds didn't melt into the ground from embarrassment.

"Get yerself up off the ground the ground. What you thinkin' boy? You lost yer mind?! Stand up straight. Tuck in yer shirt and none of that stutterin' shit neither. 'Kay?" I scrambled up, starting to tuck in my shirt (which really wouldn't look good tucked in by the way) when the man laughed. "I'm teasin' ya, sonny."

"O-oh," I whispered.

"Yer one of those new kids. I swear there's more of ya e'eryday. My own grandsons came here a couple of days ago, but I haven't got the chance yet. I'll help ya find yer paint, then I'll go find my youngest. Come with me." Without pausing for me to answer, the old man strode down the hall. I had no choice except to follow. He opened the door to a large, dark room filled with cleaning supplies, old furniture, and paint. I grabbed a can of midnight blue and a can of silvery blue paint.

"Let's go, kid," the old guy said, cheerfully. I ran after the guy who was walking with a bounce in his step. We went down the hall, then down the steps. The halls downstairs were relatively quiet and the few people we did see ran in the opposite direction real fast when they saw us. Yes! Finally, I am inspiring fear in the hearts of millions! Live in fear! RAWR!

"My youngest lives in Room 214," he told me. Whoa! The rooms have numbers on them?! That could have been helpful to know earlier. Maybe then I wouldn’t have gotten lost so much. I wonder what my room number is…Hm, I'll find out soon enough. We went down the halls that were increasingly familiar, until we turned down the hall my room is on.

Maybe this guy is Blaze's dad. That would be hilarious and Shannon would have a field day.

"Parker! I've been looking all over for you. Where have you been?" Ainsley chased me down the hall but stopped suddenly when he saw the old guy.

"Ainsley!" Old Guy exclaimed, happily, beating me to answer him.

Ainsley looked at me steadily before saying, "Parker, this is my grandfather-"

"King Amun Osiris Silver," the old man finished.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) Cliffhanger!