Status: I'll update pretty fast...if you want?

You Don't Have to Be Alone

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Parker POV

Kelsey stopped in front of Craig's table, crossed her arms, threw out her hip, and got an uncharacteristically scary expression on her face that would have made the nastiest person in the world curl up in a ball, crying.

Craig was sitting with six of his friends and three girls who, well not to be rude, but they kind of looked like whores.

"What is she thinking?" Kasey asked in wonder. "She'll be killed! We have to save her!" He screeched, jumping up and running to "save" his sister.

Ainsley and I exchanged glances and ran after him. Kasey pounced on Kels, knocking her down.

"You're not in your right mind, Kelsey," Kasey hissed, dramatically. "I'm doing this for your own good." He picked her up, and tried to run off with her. The key word is tried.

When we turned around we were surrounded. Craig's thugs grinned stupidly, at us. Craig himself was smirking. I could see that behind that smirk, he was furious. "I don't think she was talking to you fags," he said, conversationally to me and Kasey. Even though Kasey wasn’t gay, that didn't stop Craig from calling him fag, or fairy. I guess I "infected" everyone around me. "You shouldn't hang out with these, homos," Craig said, his tone laced with disgust, to Ainsley.

"I think I should. Especially when the alternative is YOU."

I could feel the makings of a smile and I felt so much happier than I should have that Ainsley had stood up for me.

Craig, on the other hand, was pissed. His eyes glinted creepily, when he looked at me. I guess he had realized that he couldn't bother Ainsley and was going back to his favorite hobby: me. "You going to leave, FAIRY?" He spat on my face as he said 'fairy'.

I flinched and whimpered, feeling the unshed tears rise up in my eyes. I shook my head, silently, willing him to just leave me alone. Yeah, right. Like that would work. He made a slashing motion across his wrist and the unshed tears spilt over. I had heard many people suggest that it would be better for me to be dead than gay, but it still upset and hurt me, no matter who said it. As unlikely as it seemed, what with all the shit I had to put up with, I would never hurt myself. I looked at the ground, trying to hide my tears.

Ainsley noticed. He was finally pissed. Ainsley lunged at Craig, making them both fall to the floor.

Craig was taken completely off guard. HE was supposed to be the one hurting people. HE was supposed to be in control. NOT this new kid. They were a tangle of limbs, as I watched, helplessly.

After what seemed like forever, but what really only a few moments, Ainsley seemed to have the upper edge. He was straddling a struggling, cursing Craig, swinging his fist into his face.

I doubt he would have cared at all about my personal business if they were not in a town like this and surrounded by people like Craig, but the problem was Valerie was surrounded by people like that. He decided it was time to break them up. Valerie and one of his friends reached down to pull Ainsley off Craig. NO! I couldn't let that happen! Even with the best of intentions, he would be hurting Ainsley. What did he think they would do when a very pissed off Craig tried to convince him to hold Ainsley's arms behind his back, so he could hit him? He would agree just like always.

I jumped on Craig friend's back, knocking him away from Ainsley. Even if I couldn't stop Ainsley from getting hurt, I could at least level the playing field. Kasey seemed to have the exact same thought at the exact same time because he pounced on Valerie; both of them toppling to the ground.

I pinned the guy, whose name I really didn't care to know. (I'm a lot stronger than I look. The reason I don't fight is that I know I cannot beat 4+ people and I really hate to hurt people.), trying as hard as I could not to hurt him.

Kasey and Valerie didn't appear to be struggling at all. They just stared at each other, Kasey on top of Valerie.

Finally, Ainsley decided he'd had enough of trying to find out all the colors he could make Craig turn. (This complete list of colors is as follows: pink, red, and purple from anger; green; purple, and a funny off-white color from the nausea of being punched repeatedly in the stomach; and blue and purple from not being able to breathe when his blood got up his nose.) Ainsley bounced off of the semiconscious Craig.

I unpinned the guy and hauled Kasey off Valerie.

"Let's go," Ainsley said, smirking at me and raising his eyebrow at both Kasey and Valerie. If only he knew…Even if Kasey AND Vale were both gay, I doubt they would fall for each other. Kasey HATED Valerie because of how he treated us. When I told him I thought Valerie was just cruel to us because of Craig, it made him all the madder. Kasey said that if Vale (I call Valerie "Valerie" in my mind because I think he really doesn't mind his name, but when Kasey talks to me, he calls him Vale so that's what I call him, then.) really didn't hate us, then he was all the more hypocritical. There's no arguing with him.

This time the guys parted, looking dazed. They probably couldn't believe we'd kicked their leader's and two of their best fighter's asses.

During this entire big fight, you may have been wondering why no teacher came to break it up. Well, they probably thought that me and Kasey were losing. In case you hadn't already picked up on it, (Making you the stupidest person I have ever met.) the teachers had a not-too-secret hatred of me and my two friends. Sometimes, I thought the teachers are worse than the kids here because the kids never made me feel guilty that I had friends. I knew the other teenagers would hate Kasey and Kels anyway because they were so weird and always bouncing around and just not "cool" enough, but if Kasey and Kelsey weren't friends with me the teachers would try to help them make friends, not glare at them every time they saw them, and try to fail them because they missed a question on one test.
Kelsey slapped me when I told her and Kasey just laughed for like three hours straight.

Ainsley decided he was going to interrupt my thinking process, then. "Who knew you were so feisty!?" Ainsley joked.

I blushed.

The rest of the day passed, uneventfully. Well, that is, until the final bell rang. I trotted to the front of the school, where I saw Ainsley turning in place, as if he were looking for something. He probably couldn't find his bus, or forgot his address, or some other equally weird thing that only he could accomplish.

I walked over to him, figuring that no one else would help him, especially after what happened at lunch. "L-lost?" I whispered, almost smiling before I caught myself. I couldn't drop my guard around him; around anyone.

"Not anymore," he said, cheerily. I rolled my eyes.

I didn't have time for this. As much as I might want to, I can't stay and talk to/stalk Ainsley. I've got to catch the city bus.

"Um, I kind of wanted to ask you something," mumbled Ainsley. He looked a bit nervous.

"Wh-what?" "Will you go out with me? Like a movie, or, or…" My face must have looked like ridiculous. I wanted so badly to say yes…but then I remembered…

Josh leaned into me, closing his eyes. My breath caught in my throat. I leaned in, also closing my eyes. I couldn't believe it. This would be my first kiss and Josh was so great. I think I really like him. I'd been daydreaming about this kiss for so long. At first, I was afraid of him. Josh seemed to hit it off with Craig but, it all felt so stupid and insignificant now. My first kiss.

Right before our lips would have touched, I felt a sharp pain across my face. My eyes flew open. Had Josh…SLAPPED me? No. He wouldn't.

I heard laughter all around me, the loudest coming from Josh himself. Craig and his friends fell out of their hiding places from laughing too hard.

"Who would want to kiss a fairy like you," he said between chuckles. "I-I-I do-don't u-under-stand," I burst into tears. He slapped me again. "SHUT UP!" I couldn't believe it. I just ran, trying to forget everything.

It turned out that Josh had never wanted me. At the beginning of the year, Craig and Josh had decided it would be funny to get me a "boyfriend."

The next day at school, Josh told everyone about how I'd "turned him straight." The rest of eighth grade was horrendous. The only reason this year wasn't as bad was that Josh had moved away during the summer. Kelsey tap-danced when she found out that Josh had moved away. She sensed from the second she met him that there was something off about him, but I didn't believe her. It was a true show of how good a friend Kelsey was that she didn’t say, "I told you so."

"I-I-I c-can't," I whimpered, waiting for Ainsley to slap me and tell me not to cry. Instead, he wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me close.

"Ssh. It's okay. Don't cry," he cooed, consoling me. I hadn't even realized I was crying. It made me want him even more, how sweet he was being to me.

Instead I ran away. I had to go. I sprinted to the bus stop trying not to think of the hurt look on his face. I got off the bus, wiping the tears from my eyes. I didn't need Lindsey asking me about it and Phyllis trying to fire me because I was mentally unstable or some shit. I ran up the steps of the animal shelter. Whew! I got here with two minutes to spare. No yelling at me today. Maybe tomorrow, Phyllis.

I immediately got three of the dogs on their leashes to take them for a walk. If I was lucky, I could avoid Lindsey all day. Not that I don't like Lindsey. It's just she has a way of getting me to talk about things I don't want to talk about.

I walked down the pathway behind the animal shelter. It was already starting to get dark, even though it was only 3 o'clock. It was still nice out, with just a little bit of a breeze that made the hairs on my neck stand up and the dogs fur rustle. The dogs were so happy to be out and were barking and leaping at each other, the spoiled creatures knowing that I didn't care about them walking well right now.

Once I got to the end of the trail, a few miles from the shelter I turned back. I spent the rest of the day walking the thirteen dogs. I even tried to walk a cat but I failed.

I hopped down the stairs, finally seeing Lindsey as I left. She waved at me as I passed, but I pretended not to see her and walked faster. I went home, not bothering to take the bus because my house was only twenty minutes away and the eight o' clock bus was always crowed for some reason.

I sighed, throwing my backpack next to my computer and settled myself into the computer chair. It was going to be a long night. I finally finished my homework at eleven and flopped onto my bed, to go find some dinner.

I woke up early the next morning, went through my routine and caught the bus to school. Kels and Kasey were waiting for me as always, but this time they were joined by Ainsley.

I ignored him, still embarrassed about yesterday.

Ainsley didn't seem bothered by my refusal, or by the fact that I cried all over him. Ainsley smiled, happily, and hugged me. "Hi Parker!"

I gave him a weird look, but otherwise ignored him.

Ainsley ran off to get something for breakfast. As soon as he was gone, Kels punched me in the arm.

"Ow! W-what!?" "Be nice! He likes you and you talk back, so you MUST like him."

I shot her a 'hell no' look.

"Don’t look at me like that. You know it's true. The first month you were here, you said like ten words in all."

I rolled my eyes, thinking that she was probably right about me talking a lot more recently, but that was because…Because, um, well…Damn it! I don't want to think about it anymore.

"See?" Kels said smugly and Kasey smirked.

I glared. I opened my mouth to argue, but made a shushing motion when I saw Ainsley coming back. We all got silent as Ainsley stood next to me. I could still see Kelsey's smug grin and it was making me want to kick something. I huffed and started to walk away.

I heard Kels hiss at Ainsley. "He's going to class. Follow him. In fact, follow him the rest of the day. He wants you to, but he won't ask."

I pretended I hadn't heard and Ainsley pretended he wasn't taking her advice. All my classes were boring, especially the ones I didn't have with Ainsley. It's not that I have some weird obsession with him. That would be ridiculous, but somehow Kels got that idea into her head and WON"T DROP IT! It's making my brain ache.

On a happier and much less confusing note, I didn't get hit all day. I'm not sure why exactly, but I'm guessing Craig not being here since he was too hurt, had something to do with it.

Kasey was being kind of spacey all day, which Kels took advantage of. Kasey got hit in the head, tripped, and his things taken away all day and I'm not even sure he noticed. Kels was pleased with herself though. I didn't ask what was wrong with him though. If he wanted to tell me, he would.

Ainsley seemed to make it his mission in life to make me turn permanently red, always hugging me between classes and saying nice things to me. It was a little unnerving, but I kind of liked it, even if everyone at school was giving me death glares. They're just jealous…or not. Probably not.

School went pretty much like that for the next couple of weeks. Even when Craig came back, he stayed out of arms reach, which was pretty hilarious.

Ainsley soon became my best friend. Kels and Kasey didn’t mind. Actually, I think they were thrilled and took every opportunity they could to leave us alone…which was kind of awkward.

It's Saturday morning and Ainsley appeared outside my door . He looked tired, but had his usual smile on his face. "Hey Parker! What's up? Did I wake you up?" I rolled my eyes, since I was already fully dressed and, at least I hoped, I didn't look as tired as he did.

"No. I'm eating breakfast," I said, knowing Ainsley would be hungry. "You want something?"

On cue, his stomach growled. "Shh," he whispered to it. "Um…yeah, I can eat something, I guess," he muttered, sheepishly.

I snorted and led him to the kitchen. Then, I remembered something. "Wait…How do you know where I live?"

Maybe Ainsley's secretly a creeper? Or not so secretly now that I know.

Ainsley looked uncomfortable. "I just got this text from Kels with your address and one of her usual threats. I figured for my sake I'd better come, just in case."

I nodded. I mean, you never know.

"You don't have to work today, do you?" Ainsley asked, curiously, eating some cereal. "How long have you worked there anyway. It can't be long. You're not even fifteen yet."

I sighed. "A year and a half. The shelter's closed this weekend. You?"

Ainsley grinned. "Nope." Everything was quiet for a minute and then, "Let's go for a walk!" Ainsley grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the house. Quiet doesn't really last with Ainsley around.

We walked-well, he walked. I did a weird run-stop-run kind of thing, so I could keep up. "Where are we going?" I asked, slightly out of breath.

"Um…I guess I should have thought about that before we left, huh? Is there anything this way?" Ainsley asked, cheerfully.

I shrugged. "The park?" "Okay let's go there. I will push you on the swings."

I raised an eyebrow, trying to say 'What makes you think I'm going to get on a swing?' Ainsley laughed at my expression.

"I will make you."

Jeez, that doesn't sound creepy at all. We got to the park a couple minutes later and Ainsley looked way too thrilled to be there. He looks kind of like a little kid with how happy he was. The park was deserted, since there really weren't a whole lot of kids in this town and none of them lived in walking distance of the park, which kind of defeats the purpose of building one if you ask me, but no one asked me and here we are. I was plucked out of the air and thrown over Ainsley's shoulder. "Don't even try to escape. I run faster than you," Ainsley informed me.

Suddenly, I was on the ground. "Ugh," I groaned as someone landed on me. I tried to shove Ainsley off me… when I realized the person wasn't Ainsley.

Ainsley "oof"-ed a few feet away from me, right about the time I heard Craig's voice. Oh joy. Isn't this just going to make my day? I looked up and saw one of Craig's friends sitting on me and not a light one. I'm getting squished! I'm so sick of you little freaks!" Craig snarled, sounding like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. "I'm giving you one more chance to get the hell out of here, before I hit you so hard…" Clearly trying to sound ominous, Craig motioned for his friend to get up and they stalked off.

I got up, rubbing me ribs, as Ainsley did the same. "That wasn't much fun," Ainsley commented, idly.

I rolled my eyes. We walked home, quietly, and thankfully slower. It wasn't uncomfortable. We were just thinking our own thoughts. When, we got home Kels was waiting. "Where's Kasey?" Ainsley asked.

Kels's eyes narrowed. "I don't know. He didn't say anything about it." I almost laughed at how indignant she sounded. After all, Kels is a ninja and should know everything. "I don't want to talk about that. Let's play tag!" I sent her a disbelieving look.

How am I supposed to play tag? I might be confused, but I THINK tag is the running, try not to fall on your face game. Not really my strong point.  Kels must have been thinking the same thing.

"How about Hide and Seek? I know you can hide, Parker." There was a glint in Kels's eyes that made me want to say no, but I couldn't think of a good reason to say so. Plus, Ainsley was already agreeing.

"Okay. MeandParkerwillhideandyoufindus," Kels said in a hurry, grabbing me and running off before Ainsley could argue. She pulled me deep into the woods behind my house. Kels dragged me behind a tree.

When we were finally hidden, Kels cackled. "Now that I've got you all to myself…" Kels paused dramatically. I sat down. It's better to just wait for her to get through all the theatrics before you really start listening. "What's up with Ainsley?"

Ugh. Not this again. I banged my head against the tree I leaning on.

"Come on. Do you like him or not?"

I sighed "Yeah."

"Then ask him out, stupid. By royal decree-"

I snorted.

Kels ignored me and continued. "By royal decree, you will ask him out."

I rolled my eyes.

"RIGHT?!"

I sighed. I want to, but I don't want to get hurt again. I also know, I'd have to ask him out. He wouldn't try to scare me by asking again. But is that enough to stop me from asking? No. I think the most important thing is, do I want to ask? And the answer is… yes.

I nodded, silently. I guess I'm going to have to ask him out.