Status: I'll update pretty fast...if you want?

You Don't Have to Be Alone

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven
Parker's POV

It was about one o' clock when we left. I was holding Ainsley's hand and skipping down the side walk. Even as fast as I thought I was moving, I barely kept up with Ainsley. I decided he would have to learn to walk at my pace because I'm a slow little person. We slowed up until we were inching along.

Luckily, the park wasn't far away because otherwise we'd have been walking all day to get there. We played in the park like little kids: swinging on the swings, climbing trees, and playing on the monkey bars. Of course, we kissed a bit too. It was during one of these kisses that it happened.

Ainsley was ripped off me. Next thing I knew, it felt like I was being hit by a truck. I saw Craig leering over me.

"A-Ainsley!" I cried, trying to force air into my lungs. Where was Ainsley? I hope he ran away. My nose had started bleeding again and I couldn't breathe. I just wanted them to stop hurting me. I didn't think that was so much to ask. Craig hit me a few more times and I couldn't even defend myself because he had my arms pinned.

In a distant part of my mind, I could hear yelling and the sound of skin on skin contact. Finally, I felt the sweet relief of darkness closing in around me. The pain was fading away. Craig was thrown off of me, but it didn't make the darkness less inviting.

Ainsley wrapped his arms around me. Don't ask me how I knew it was Ainsley with my eyes closed. I just knew. It took me a moment, but I opened my eyes, feeling rewarded when I looked into his gorgeous blue-green eyes.

"Hey," he murmured, running his hands through my hair.

"H-hi," I whispered. Is it just me or should Ainsley get used to protecting me? He picked me up, gently. Over Ainsley's shoulder, I could see someone standing behind us. Valerie. I froze, just staring at the somewhat, awkward teenager.

"He helped us," Ainsley said. I looked at them, confused. Why would he help us? Craig would be so pissed.

"I'm sick of the way everyone's been treating you," Valerie volunteered. "I've been feeling even worse about it for the last few months."

"Why?" Ainsley asked. I was pretty sure I knew the answer.

"I'm bi," he said, shyly. I bet he wasn't too used to saying those words.

"I know," I said without thinking.

"What!" Valerie looked guilty for some reason, but I didn't care to ask why.

"Oh, oh never mind," I said.

He didn't look satisfied with my answer, but decided not to press it. My head was starting to clear up a little and Ainsley set me on my feet. I got a better look at the two of them. Ainsley had a busted lip and what looked like it would turn into a black eye. Valerie had a bruised cheek and a knot in his forehead.

"Th-thank y-y-you," I murmured.

"No problem. I owe you a lot more than that," Valerie whispered. He looked so guilty that I couldn't help, but forgive him.

"It's okay," I murmured.

He smiled, happily.

"Don't look so thrilled," Ainsley said. "He's mine!"

Valerie blushed and laughed a little. "Craig is so pissed. He's going to kill me."

"We'll protect you!" I screeched, making little boxing motions.

"I've got to go," Valerie said. "It's almost three. I've got to pick up my sister at her soccer practice."

"Three!" I squeaked. I can't believe I did it again! Lindsey is going to KILL me! "Gotta go!: I kissed Ainsley on the cheek and ran down the street. The animal shelter was conveniently only about five minutes from the park. I burst into the door just in time for my shift.

Immediately, I was attacked by an angry, worried Lindsey. "You weren't here yesterday! You could have been dead! Why didn't you call me?" Lindsey yelled, looking like she was going to cry.

I hugged her, whispering, "I'm okay."

She froze, suspicion written all over her face. "Where is my scared, little Parker, who never gives me hugs?" She said. I shrugged, staring holes in my shoes. "Oh well. Forget him. I'll keep you instead," she said, haughtily.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the hundred pound bag of dog food and proceeded to feed the seven dogs that lived here.

Lindsey followed me expectancy, getting steadily more irritated when I didn't tell her what I’d been doing. She sighed, groaned, moaned, and tried to corner me. "You do know that Phyllis is considering eating you for not showing up, but I, being that fabulous, wonderful, amazing person that I am, convinced her to spare you. I think you should do something to make it up to me."

I couldn't help, but snicker as I thought of what Ainsley would suggest. It made me wonder whether his solution to everything was a cookie. Maybe that wouldn’t be so bad though.

"Hey! I guess you don't understand how it works. I speak first and then you answer. Now let's try again. Where were you yesterday?"

"Valentino's."

"With whom?"

"Someone from school."

"What was their name?"

"Ainsley."

"Wha-You know what? I'm done playing Twenty Questions with you. Just spill," Lindsey shrieked.

I mentally prepared myself for the flood of questions that was sure to follow. "I went out on a date."

"AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" That's great-No! Spectacular! Was it fun? Are you going out again? Did you kiss?" She jumped around excitedly while I dropped some veggies in the bunny's cage.

Phyllis burst in. "Shut UP, you ridiculous children!" She turned to me and I suddenly got the vivid image of a bull running me down only after impaling me several times. "YOU! What makes you think you can skip out on the animals and just come back like nothing had ever happened? I flinched and tried not to cry. I hated it when people yelled. It reminded me of horrible things…Things I never wanted to think about again. "I-I'm s-s-sorry," I whimpered. "I'll w-work t-t-two sh-shifts t-to make up f-for it."

"You bet you will," she snarled. Crap. I really didn't want to stay here until 1 AM, but if I didn't, Phyllis would slaughter me.

So here I am, bored out of my mind at 12:45 AM. I'd fed, played with, and washed every one of the fifty-seven animals. I pulled on my coat and left, after whispering my good-byes to the animals and set off down the road. It was like one of those nights in movies: pitch black, the single streetlight flickering ominously, the cool winter breeze brushing past me, and worst of all the impenetrable silence.

On cue, the light whooshed out leaving me shaking and, I hoped, alone. I walked faster, listening for anything that was unusual. I couldn't help but think that everything was unusual at 3 AM. No one with any sense was out now.

Then, I heard it. Footsteps.

They were heavy…and they weren't human. I could hear claws clicking against the pavement. Click. Click. Click. Click. I knew it was standing on two legs.

I spun around and it seemed as if the "it" had disappeared. I wished I hadn't offered to take that second shift. No job sounded better than no life at the moment. I knew I wouldn't think that in the morning. I wished so much that I was asleep in my warm, inviting bed, but no…My life couldn't be that simple. I started moving again, this time running.

Click-click, click-click. I did what anyone else would have. I ran faster. Clickclickclickclick. The "it" was getting closer. I could hear it's breathing now. It was smooth and even; not at all like the hurried breathing I was experiencing. It was as if it was toying with me. My natural clumsiness kicked in and I fell flat on my face. I curled up in a tiny ball, whimpering. I covered my eyes.

Maybe this was all a dream. I would never ask for anything again if this could all just be a dream. Please, let this be a dream. PLEASE.

Clawed hands grabbed me, rolling me over. I squeaked, my hands still over my eyes. There was a throaty, growling chuckle above me. "Hello," it growled, seductively. Hands ran down my body and I felt a surge of anger.

"Get your hands off me!" I snarled, trying my hardest to look terrifying.
"Quaking in your boots, Ashton?" Another slier, smoother voice asked, sarcastically.

I finally opened an eye. What I saw above me almost made me pass out. The man above me had an out of control black mane, pointed fangs, wild yellow eyes, and black fur covering every inch of his body. He was part lion. He was a full shape-shifter.

I bit back a scream.

They were so different and so much more powerful than anyone. Even as I watched, the one who had last spoken completed his transformation into a gray lynx. The one standing over me watched amusedly, as he completed his transformation into a black lion.

Oh, this is bad, very bad. The other two: a thrilled looking tiger and an expressionless dark brown wolf watched me become steadily more horrified. "He hasn’t spoken yet," the wolf observed, as if commenting on the weather. "It is odd."

The tiger grinned and jumped on me. "He's cute," he purred. His face was an inch from mine . I hit him square in the jaw. The tiger shook his head as if surprised and smirked down at me. "That wasn't very nice," he pouted.

The wolf rolled his eyes.

The lion tossed the tiger off of me.

"Hold still and give me your hands," the lion ordered. I shook my head and shifted, so that my arms were under me. "I thought you'd do that," he hissed, suddenly lunging at me neck. He was ripped away from me an inch before he would have torn into my neck.

I started crying silently.

"I thought you were sharing," the wolf said, not angrily but more mildly interested and controlled.

"HE"S MINE," the lion roared back, which gave me a little spark of hope. Maybe the lion and the wolf would fight and I could sneak away.

That hope was quickly squashed when the wolf glanced down at me. "You're scaring him. They aren't as good scared. Too much wiggling," the wolf commented.

"Sure you're not feeling SORRY for him?" asked the lynx.

The wolf grabbed the lynx and threw him about ten feet without saying a word.

"That was unnecessary ," the lynx complained, rubbing his shoulder. "I could have twisted something."

The wolf ignored him.

"Both of you shut the fuck up!" the lion snarled. The wolf and the tiger fell into an immediate silence. I guess we know who wears the pants in this group. What the hell was going to get me out of this? I could have been attacked by a gang of Pomeranians, like Kels, but NO. I get attacked by predators. The lion reached out for me and I made my decision.

I felt my back stretch and all the built up pressure leave my body, as my wings grew and my face lengthen as my beak slashed across the lion's hand. It swore and fell back, probably surprised at his horrible luck in getting one of the probably 1,000 people in the world who were full shape-shifters. I kicked at it with my clawed feet, leaving another bloody gash.

My still fully formed arms grasped for the pavement and I pushed myself to my feet. I had only fully changed once and I was hoping I wouldn't have to again. It always hurts the first time, I'd heard.

After that it was supposed to feel good, but I never did just in case. I regretted that now. I felt light and free. I threw myself into the air, instinctively knowing that was the only way I could escape. I felt powerful jaws grip my wing. I cried out and fell to the ground. I completed my change, shrinking to the size of a softball. Maybe I look pathetic and they won't want to mess with me now. I am a pygmy owl.

The tiger started giggling when he saw me, curled up in a little ball my wings wrapped around myself. "Aww! He's adorable. I want to keep him!" he squealed, picking me up and nuzzling me. My feathers ruffled up in annoyance and the lynx started laughing.

I kicked him and tried to escape again. Sadly, get kicked by a little bird does very little, except crack people up. He caught me again cheerfully, and patted me on the head. "You're a good birdie," he told me.

"It's not even worth playing with," the lion groaned. "Now we have to find something else to play with and listen to Jamie (So his name is Jamie.) coo about his new pet."

I flew out of Jamie's hands and kicked the nasty, fat ass lion in the face, this time going for the eyes. It turns out that I'm actually somewhat of a threat if I kick you in the eye. I am NOT anyone's PET!

"Shit!" he yelled, grabbing me and slapping me, almost taking my head off. I felt everything get dark and I went limp. I could hear, even though it felt like it was through a tunnel. I could also feel. I felt hands prodding me, and could hear Jamie and the lion yelling at each other.

I heard a sudden growl full of rage. All four of my captors stopped. Then, the lion laughed. "Oh. You scared me for a minute there. I thought something dangerous was out there but it was just you." He didn't say it mockingly, almost...like he was joking and the person he was talking to was someone he was fond of.

"Let go of him," the voice snarled.

"Why? Is he yours?"

"No. He's not anyone's, but you can't have him. Give him to me." Soft hands wrapped around me, taking me from them. I tried to thank him, but everything was still so fuzzy. "Parker?" the voice asked, worriedly. "What did you do to him!?"

"Him? What about what he did to us? The little idiot kicked me!"

"Good. You probably deserved it. I can't believe you were going to hurt him!" The hand holding me tightened as I heard the sound of him hit the lion. "Ow! What was that! You idiot!" the lion roared.

"Don’t ever touch him!" the voice yelled back as my vision cleared a little. I saw Ainsley standing over me and he looked PISSED! I whimpered. Couldn't he see the people he was yelling at? What if they hurt him? It would be my fault. I fluttered my wings lightly, trying to get his attention. Ainsley looked down at me in concern. He seemed to understand what I wanted because he held me out . I grew into my usual shape. My legs gave out and I fell into Ainsley, feeling dizzy. He held me, protectively. "We're leaving now and I want you to go the hell away!"

Ainsley picked me up lightly and carried me home, and the four creatures didn't bother us to my surprise. I made him stay the night with me. I couldn't be alone right now. Even with Ainsley against me, I was still plagued with nightmares of the shape-shifters.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you don't know what a pygmy owl is, wikipedia it. They're adorable. :)
Comment&Suscribe!