Status: I'll update pretty fast...if you want?

You Don't Have to Be Alone

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
(Parker's POV)

I woke up with a groan, my entire body still in pain from the day before. I tried to sit up, only to find that I couldn't move. I heard a snore next to me and I looked next to me, which was made difficult by the weight on me, and saw Ainsley sleeping on me. I pressed my lips against his hair, softly so as not to wake him up.

"Ergh. What time is it?"

Well, so much for that plan. "6:15. We've got school," I told him.

He swore, quietly, but wrapped his arms even tighter around me so I would know he wasn't mad at me, just the fat ass Monday. "Can we ditch?"

How tempting. Just lay here all day. But, when Kels found out we weren't at school she'll probably think I was violently murdered (Which, as I'm sure you've realized, wouldn't be too surprising.) and freak out and have a heart attack and then I'd have to get out of bed and go to the hospital and make sure she's alright and Kasey would blame me so he would kill me and now is not a very good time for me to be dead. I have way too much going on. I've got a essay do Thursday and I'm pretty sure my death wouldn't stop that old hag from failing me.

I sighed. I have to go to school. Damn conscience! Making me get up all early. "Let's go to school," I ordered.

"Twenty more minutes?"

I nodded. I know I'm a push over. No need to point it out, jeez.

Twenty minutes later, we got up. I took a shower while Ainsley rummaged through my kitchen, looking for something to eat. When I came out, I was all dressed and ready to go.

"You're adorable," he squealed, through a mouthful of pancakes.

I blushed and kissed his forehead. He handed me a plate and I ate my pancakes, staring at Ainsley and wondering how he managed to fit so much food in his mouth at one time. "Let's go to my apartment. I've got to change clothes. I'm stinky," he informed me.

Grabbing my hand, he pulled me to the car and tossed me in the passenger's side. Ainsley's driving made me a little nervous. He was very ADD so he kept getting distracted and looking out the window at stray cats and falling leaves, or whatever else that happened to amuse him.

We left town and got into the crappy outskirts of the town. It was starting to make me nervous. I didn't want the person I was…dating...um, my boyfriend, or is he mine? I need to ask him. Well, I didn't want Ainsley to live here. He could get hurt, but it wasn't any of my business to say so.

We pulled up at a particularly broken down apartment building and Ainsley got out. "You might want to come with me. I'm not exactly sure who's around at this time."

I looked around nervously and followed close behind Ainsley. I didn't want to run into those people from yesterday. For some unknown reason, I thought the shape-shifters would listen to Ainsley, but I didn't want to take any chances. As we were walking up the stairs, I saw Ainsley fall. Then, I realized he'd fallen through the stair.

I started giggling.

Ainsley looked at me, a pained expression on his face. "Don't make fun of me just because I'm fat and killed the stairs."

I started laughing harder until I couldn't even stand up. I was rolling around on the floor, trying not to cry from laughing.

"Come on! Stop laughing and help me. My leg is starting to hurt."

I tried to stop as I dragged Ainsley out of the stairs.

"That was great for my self esteem. Now let's go," Ainsley said, sadly and continued up another two flights of stairs. His apartment was the last on the left. He pulled out a huge ring of keys to unlock his door.

"What are you, a janitor?"

"Shut up, smart ass," Ainsley said cheerfully.

I smirked back at him because I knew he wasn't serious. He went into his bedroom and came back couple minutes later. I stared at him for like…an eternity.

"Um, we've got to go to school, unless you've rethought this whole going to school thing?" Ainsley asked, hopefully.

"Let's go."

Ainsley gave me a sad puppy look and I laughed.

"Drive me to school now!" I ordered. "What makes you think you can tell me what to do?" Ainsley asked.

I didn’t answer.

"See? I thought so! I wear the pants in this relationship!"

I snickered and ran down the stairs.

Ainsley plodded down the stairs after me, yelling about how he was going to break another stair and it'd be all my fault and then I would regret it. His arms captured me and shoved me against the wall, still trying not to hurt me.

"I can scream rape."

"What a coincidence. So can I."

I struggled, trying to free myself. It was useless. The only way left was to outsmart him. "So…Who were those people last night?"

Ainsley looked awkward. "Well…They were…they were…Um, what were we talking about again?"

I smirked. "I expect you to tell me eventually," I said. "Now let's go." A

insley recognized his defeat and followed me meekly to the car. We drove to school.

Kelsey was jumping around like an idiot when she saw me. "YOU ARE LATE!"

"My ears," Ainsley cried, covering his ears and pretending to convulse.

Valerie slunk over to us. "What do you think you're doing here!" Kelsey shrieked, trying to slap Valerie. Kasey stopped her and glared at them. "What?" he spat.

"Be nice," I told them. "He stopped Craig from killing us yesterday." Something changed in Kasey's eyes and he immediately hugged Valerie.

Valerie looked surprised, but didn't seem to mind being that close to an almost stranger.

Kelsey looked at them, suspiciously. "Don't think I trust you for a minute. One screw up and I will cut off your balls," Kelsey threatened.

"I might need those though," Valerie said, just to piss her off I guess.

Kelsey rolled her eyes. "I guess you won't be an idiot then."

"I guess not," Valerie said.

As we were walking up the steps, two big guys slammed into Valerie, knocking him to the ground before laughing and walking off. Kasey reached down and pulled Valerie to his feet. "Thanks," he muttered.

"No problem," Kasey chirped back. "Don’t let those guys bother you."

I saw a shadow pass over Valerie's face. He was probably remembering that he had been friends with them only yesterday. Shows you how fake the people here are. My classes were the same today as any other day. For some reason, they weren't as bad though. I didn't have any classes alone anymore. This was my schedule now:

Parker Eventide's Schedule
1st Period English: Ainsley
2nd Period Math: Ainsley & Kelsey
3rd Period Yearbook: Kelsey
4th Period Biology: Ainsley,
5th Period Psychology: Ainsley
6th Period Government: Ainsley, Kelsey
7th Period French 2: Kasey, & Valerie

It sucked that Kasey and Valerie weren't in my grade, but at least I got to see them in seventh period because I lucked out and got in to an tenth grade class.

I talked more than I have ever talked in my entire life, but Ainsley still teased me (good-naturedly) that I was the quietest person he had ever met.

When school ended, Ainsley drove me to work. He wanted to know when he could pick me up, but I told him I'd be fine. Being the pushy person he is, he refused to give up. I finally told him eight and he looked surprised.

"You shouldn't be working that long. How many days a week?" "

Six, but I only work so long because Kelsey promised to kill me if I worked every day, so I take Sundays off. I'll see you later," I whispered and kissed him good-bye.

"I'll be here," he called after me.

I collided with something hard. "Ow! My eyes," I groaned.

"Thanks for that," Lindsey said.

"No! I didn't mean you were ugly. It's just you have a rather hard chin and it poked me in the eye."

She laughed. "I know. I just wanted to make you say it. Was that your boyfriend? He's adorable," she asked, excitedly.

"Not my boyfriend. We've been on two dates. Sheesh."

"You want him to be," Lindsey informed me.

"Now you have ESP?" I asked, beginning to feed the dogs.

"You have found out my secret," she said.

"Whatever," I said, wondering why I seem to attract weirdos. We spent the rest of my shift in companionable silence. Phyllis only came in once to make sure I hadn't "skipped out" again.

"Old bat," Lindsey grumbled and I chuckled.

Finally, it ended and me and Lindsey walked outside. Ainsley was waiting for me, sitting on the hood of his car. I ran and pounced on top of him, completely forgetting about Lindsey. That is, until I heard I loud wolf-whistle behind me.

I blushed. "I'm going to kill her," I whispered.

Ainsley laughed. "I think you're cute too," he said. "

She was whistling at YOU, idiot."

I snorted at the expression on Ainsley's face. He picked me up and put me in the car. We drove to my house and Ainsley turned off the car. I leaned up against him and kissed him good-bye. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me deeper.

When we pulled away, Ainsley asked, "Will you go out with me tomorrow night?"

I smiled, but then I remembered that I had to work. Ainsley was getting good at figuring out what I was thinking. "I can pick you up after work. I can't pick you up earlier anyway because I start working tomorrow." He seemed pleased with himself.

"You're working at Valentino's?" I guessed. I knew Alice had been angling for Cade to hire a waiter and she liked Ainsley.

"Yep!"

"That's great," I cheered for him. I liked that he was happy. "I'll take you bowling, or something."

I laughed. "Bowling?"

"We could do something else." Ainsley looked worried. "No, no. I would love to go bowling with you," I said, kissing him again.

He smiled at me. "I'll see you tomorrow," I said, regretfully. I wanted him to stay again, but I wasn't sure how to ask.

Kelsey chose that moment to run up. "Good thing I caught you because I didn't know your phone number. "You and Parker are sleeping at my house." I wasn't surprised that Kelsey wanted to have a sleepover on Monday night. We have a sleepover every Monday. She sighed and said, "Kasey made me invite HIM too."

I laughed at how overdramatic Kelsey was. "The only problem is there are SO many people in my house and it's SO small." Kelsey looked at me, pitifully.

I rolled my eyes. "Everyone can stay at my house," I sighed. Kelsey squealed, hugging me. "Good. That's what I told them anyway," she said and left.

I looked over at Ainsley, who was laughing hysterically. "I guess I'll see you in an hour then. I've got to run home and get some clothes."

"See you," I called as I ran inside to get ready. I changed into plaid pajama pants and a White Zombie T-shirt.

The next 45 minutes, I spent running around popping popcorn and making cookies. I cleaned up all the shit off of my bedroom floor and unfolded the couch into a bed. I cleaned the already spotless bedroom that Kelsey slept in more than her bed at her house. The doorbell rang and I ran to the door, tripping over my own feet and falling into the door. I opened it to see Valerie standing there, awkwardly.

I smiled at him, warmly. "Come in," I told him.

He looked at me with a guilty expression. "Look…I'm really sorry about…Well, I'm just sorry, okay?"

"Don't worry about it," I told him.

"But-"

"Just shut up and ask Kasey out," I told him.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about," Valerie said, but he was imitating a tomato so I knew I was right.

"Sure you don't."

We were quiet for a few minutes. I smiled, watching Valerie nervously switched feet. The door flew open and Kels and Kasey bounded in, screaming, "Hello people of Parker's living room!" Well, Kels was the one screaming. Kasey was looking at her like "You can't possibly be related to me."

Valerie squeaked and ran away.

Kasey looked sad all of a sudden.

"Kelsey," I said, softly. "Yeah, yeah. I know. I'll be back in ten minutes. You two had better have this patched up by the time I get back, or I swear I'll glue them together."

I smirked, while Kasey watched us looking confused.

"Ask him out," I murmured as soon as Kelsey was gone.

"Who?"

"You know."

"No."

" Yes."

"No."

I just glared.

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"He does," I said, pointing to Valerie.

"I doubt it. He probably thinks you're as insane as I think, but he's too nice to say anything."

I shrugged. Kasey might go over if I reassured him, but I couldn't tell how I knew. I never give away my sources.

Ainsley bounced in, happily. He walked straight over to me, kissing me on the mouth. Valerie looked at us sadly. Don't be hating because I've got a hot guy kissing me and you are too scared to ask yours out! Come on. Be a man! I forgot all about air as Ainsley's lips moved against mine.

Finally, when my lungs were screaming for air, we parted. "This is going to sound really stupid and stalkerish, but I missed you."

I blushed. "Missed you, too," I whispered with my arms around his neck and his on my waist.

"Will you be my boyfriend?" he asked, softly, looking into my eyes.

I was speechless. "Yes."

We kissed again. Ainsley licked my lips and I let him in. I smirked as I explored his mouth. "Hey! You two better stop. You look like you're about to make a porno." Kels is not known for her amazing tact.

We broke apart, but Ainsley pulled me into his lap. I was blushing like crazy and Kelsey was busting up laughing at us.

Kasey and Valerie were too wrapped up in their own thoughts to make fun of me. They seriously needed to man up. I wasn't going to butt in. They had to work this shit out for themselves.

We stayed up for forever, watching movies and talking. Finally, when I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer we went to bed. Kelsey went to the spare bedroom. We abandoned Valerie and Kasey to sleep on the fold out couch. When me and Ainsley left, they were still insisting that they sleep on the ground while the other slept on the bed. Like I said, not my problem. As for me and Ainsley, I got my wish. I went to sleep, snuggled up in Ainsley's arms in my bedroom.

Unfortunately, we had to get up really early. We all went to school and got there on time. Actually, it was probably the earliest I've ever gotten to school. Kels, I knew, noticed that too. School was as boring as always.

We weren't really targets for Craig's group anymore. I guess it wasn't as easy to mess with five people who could fight as three people who don't like to fight. Well, two people who don't like to fight and a viscous little girl.

We got out of school and went to work. Ugh! I don't want to be here! Free me, so I can see my boyfriend! Lindsey noticed.

"Aww. Are you going out with your lover?"

"Shut up!" I said, happily. I wanted to shoot her for her choice of words, but I was too excited for it to bother me as much as it normally would.

"That's not a no!"

I didn't answer. At eight, I sprinted out the door, down the stairs, and tackled Ainsley, kissing him passionately.

Lindsey skipped past me. "Have fun, Parker!" I know I'm not the only one who caught that double meaning.

We drove to the next town, since this town was drained of all fun and had no bowling alley. We bowled one game and I don't know if you know this about me, but I try to avoid most sports. I bowled a fifty-nine. I burst out laughing. "Next time, I need the little kid bumpers to be up," I gasped, as Ainsley just looked at my score in shock.

"How did you even manage that?" he asked in amazement.

"Just talented, I guess," I answered, honestly.

On the way home, we decided to stop at Kasey and Kelsey's house because Kels was probably having a conniption since I hadn't seen her in three hours. We pulled up at my house and ran across the street, just walking into their house without knocking. My first thought was that there had to be something wrong. There were no evil, screaming seven-year-olds, or a love-struck eleven-year-old bounding towards me. In short, it was way too quiet. Then, I noticed a note on the fridge. It said:

Kasey and Kels: Took the little ones to the mall. They need new shoes. Probably won't be back until late. Be good-Mom

Under that was another note that said:

Kasey: Went out. When I get back, the house better still be here. XD -Kels

"That can't be good," Ainsley observed. "Kasey doesn't seem like the kind of person who can be left alone for long."

I nodded and we walked up the stairs and down the hall to Kasey's bedroom. I knocked on his door like always. Instead of him bouncing to the door like he usually did, I heard thuds and scurrying before Kasey threw open the door. I laughed as he tried and failed to smooth down his hair.

Ainsley looked confused, but I just grinned and called, "Valerie go ahead and come out."

"Valerie's not here,' a voice said from Kasey's room. I recognized it as Valerie's. "Oh shit!" Valerie swore.

"Smooth," Kasey laughed and blushed.

"So…" I said when they let me in. They both turned red and I demanded, "How long?" "Two weeks," Valerie answered.

I smirked. "Why were you being so stupid yesterday then? Wait, don't answer that. I don't want to know. We'll leave you two alone then."

Me and Ainsley went back home. We barely made it in the door before Ainsley burst into fits of laughter and couldn't stop for like half an hour. I was laughing almost as hard. "D-did they r-r-really think they could g-get away with h-hiding it?" I asked in amusement.

Ainsley shrugged with a smirk. "I don't know, but five minutes later and that would have been awkward."

I nodded in disgust. Eww! I don't even want to think about that. We talked a little bit more before Ainsley decided he should probably go home. I felt so lonely without him there. It wasn't so bad, though. I knew he'd be here tomorrow and the next day and the next and the next and the next…

Our lives were like that for nine months. None of us were held back (Which surprised Kasey and Kelsey's mom for sure.) and now I was fifteen, Ainsley was sixteen (He could finally get a license rather than his learner's permit. Val told him he still needed lessons.), Kasey and Val were 17, and Kels was 16.

Everyone at school are still horrible, but I didn't care anymore. I had my friends and they protected me from getting beat up for the most part. I still had bruises, though, from Kasey forgetting that I was way too small to get jumped on.

Val and Kasey were still together and me and Ainsley were doing great. (Yay for romance!) Me and Ainsley got closer and closer. Two months after Ainsley asked me to be his boyfriend, I convinced him to move in with me. I couldn't stand his creepy apartment anymore and I suspect that Ainsley was glad to be rid of it, too. He was supposed to stay in the spare bedroom, but he always ended up in mine. It was almost too good to be true. As they say…Good things can't last.