Status: Hiatus.

Take My Hand

Achilles

I waited impatiently as a few men from the crew were fussing with the barrel at my feet, trying to open it. What was taking them so long?!

My face continued to darken the longer the process took and seeing an other human come into view from inside the barrel didn't lighten my mood at all.

I gazed down on the wide-eyes, black-haired man hard. He had to be a spy. No doubt about that. But whose spy? I had enough enemies to be famous for it. But only few of them could be considered real rivals. But the most important question was how the hell he got on my ship without anyone noticing. Was I captain of an ignorant, lazy-ass crew or what?

"Who are you?" I asked the figure that was cowering on the floor of the deck harshly. He was rather small and looked weak. He wouldn't stand a chance of survival on his own. Even if he could survive, he wouldn't be of much use for me. I don't know if he would've even managed to scrub the deck.

He didn't answer; just stared up at me with wide eyes, resembling a lost puppy in a way. But I had asked him a question. I was waiting for an answer.

"Speak!" I demanded, giving the weak body a kick in the stomach. I didn't want to waste much time on this. I had much more important stuff to do. A ship is nothing without it's captain. And my ship, Ambrose, she was my everything; my one and only. She was my baby, my best friend, my family. Nothing else mattered. I spent every free minute where I wasn't yelling at my crew or making sure the slaves didn't fall asleep with working, with tending to her. That was where I had left off before this interruption came.

The spy still hadn't talked and I narrowed my eyes. As I opened my mouth to snarl out a command, he suddenly piped up shakily, "I-I d-don't kn-n-now. Really-y, I d-don't re-remember a th-thing!"

I just snorted in reply. I sure as hell didn't believe him.

"Fine, if you don't want to talk... It's your choice," I turned away from the spy on the ground and turned to one of my by-standing men, pointing to the black-haired one on the ground.
"Lock him up. We'll see how long he'll stay silent when he gets no food," I grunted before turning back without looking back and walking to my cabin. I commanded an other man of my crew to keep watch by the door. I didn't want to be disturbed.

The spy had mixed things up. I stopped in front of the window, looking out into the horizon where the blue of the ocean and the blue of the sky blended in together, the fine line separating them barely visible.

Who could've sent the spy. I wouldn't be able to find out just like that. I needed to find out a tactic how to squeeze the information out of him. Most spies were trained to stay silent till death. Their pride was much bigger than their will to live. If I had a spy like that than we had a problem.

I had to find out who sent him.
♠ ♠ ♠
x3