If Wishes Were Horses, More Beggars Would Ride Them

Everyday Winter

I had been living at Violet’s house for about a week and a half now, and we had settled into our own kind of routine. We both woke up around six in the morning, and I would cook us breakfast while Violet got ready for work, then we’d sit and talk about things we had missed over the years. When Violet left for work at seven thirty, I would go back to the couch and sleep until eleven-ish. When I got up the second time, I would run downstairs and grab a newspaper from the hardware store below Violet’s apartment. I would spend an hour or two looking for jobs and calling various offices and restaurants. After I was turned down repeatedly, I would take Miles for a walk to the park where I would spend anywhere from half an hour to an hour sitting on a bench watching and taking pictures of everything going on. After the park I would head back to Violet’s and do a bit of cleaning and organizing. Milo would show up around seven, and after discovering that we shared a mutual love, we’d turn on Sufjan Stevens and cook dinner together. Milo showed me how to cook some of Violet’s new favorite foods, and I showed him some of the cooking tricks I had learned from our mom. Around eight, Violet would get home from work and the three of us would eat dinner and talk about our day. After dinner, I’d give Violet and Milo some alone time and I’d take Miles out for another walk. When I got home from walking Miles, Milo would leave and Violet and I would watch some TV and then go to bed. It was a nice routine, but it could only last for so long. Tonight was the beginning of Milo’s new tour and I really needed to find a job soon or else I wouldn’t be able to save up enough money to go back to school next semester.

“Hey Vi, is this outfit ok for tonight?” I asked, twirling around to show off my outfit: straight leg jeans, a Teen Wolf shirt, a navy cardigan, and some oxfords.

“You’ll be fine. You’ve been to concerts before, right?” Violet asks me after giving me a once over.

“Of course, but I’ve never seen my half sister’s boyfriend’s band play before. To be honest, I don’t even know what kind of music they play.”

“It’s…” Violet starts, and then gets lost, “It’s something I can’t quite explain.”

“Ooookay then,” I say, grabbing my purse over my shoulder, “I guess I’ll just have to wait until we get there.”

Violet studies me one more time like she’s looking for a missing piece. “Aren’t you going to bring your camera? I’ve seen some of you pictures, you should take some photos tonight.”

“I’m not sure if I should, I mean, I don’t want to be that cliche girl with a camera at a concert. You know the one? She wants to get into some guys pants?”
“Rose,” Violet tells me as she tries to hold back laughter, “just bring the damn camera. You can leave it in the car if you want.”

I end up throwing my camera in my purse just for the heck of it, and before I know it we’re pulling up in front of some sketchy venue. It’s called, The Place, and it’s been around in this area forever. I had been to a few shows here before, but only after lying to William and coming up with elaborate stories of sleepovers and study groups. I had never been here so early before a show, and it was kind of cool to see so many people, who I presumed to be musicians, running around the parking lot with various instruments and cables.

Everyone was dressed kind of grungy, and it took me awhile to spot Milo sitting in the back of a trailer tuning a guitar.
“Hey babe, hey Rose,” he greeted us.
“Hey Mil-“ I started, but was then cut off by someone coming from around the corner of the trailer.
“Hey Milo man, are we starting off with Giants or Serenade?” the loud voice boomed, bringing its owner, a young guy maybe a few years older than me, right behind it.
“Oh hey Violet, its good to see you,” The guy said once he saw my sister and I standing there.
“Coyote, this is Violet’s sister Rose,” Milo introduced me. Coyote nervously looked at me, then stuck out his hand for me to shake. I grabbed it, and we briefly and awkwardly shook hands. His grip, although short, was firm and as he grabbed my hand I could almost feel all the muscles in his arm tensing up.
“Nice to meet you,” says Coyote.
“Nice to meet you too,” I manage to squeak. I’m really not so good with meeting people.
“So Violet,” Coyote turns his attention away from me, “you sister’s name is ROSE? Isn’t that just a bit…flowery?”
Violet, obviously a seasoned pro at dealing with band antics, juts back, “Isn’t Coyote just a bit doggish?”
Coyote burst into short hysterics, and I can’t help but wonder if the rest of the guys in Milo’s band are as dynamic as he is.

“Hey bro, did Coyote- oh, hey Violet,” a new boy appears. He looks a lot like Milo, tall and dark, but where Milo looked like a grown man this boy just looked young and sweet.
“Oliver, this is Violet’s sister Rose, the one I was telling you about,” Milo starts again with the introductions, “And Rose, this is my brother Oliver.”
Oliver blushes a bit as we shake hands. He seems genuinely sweet, and I’m guessing from the looks that Milo and Violet start to exchange that I might be getting set up with Oliver very soon.

“Rose is a photographer, she’s going to take some pictures tonight, “ Violet explains to the boys.

“Who’s taking pictures tonight,” another voice asks, and I turn around to see two more boys standing behind Violet and I.

“Ah, now the gang’s all here,” Coyote exclaims.

“Rose, this is Jack, our lead guitarist, and Angus, our merch guy slash tour manager. Guys, this is Rose, Violet’s sister,” Milo explains.

The guys both nod their head towards me and I reciprocate. Violet and I scoot around to turn the group in a half circle around the back of the trailer, and for a few seconds an awkward silence falls on the group.

“So, Coyote, what did you want to ask me?” Milo starts.
“Oh, are we starting with Giants or Serenade?” Coyote asks, completely distracted by some thought obviously running rampant in his head.
“Giants,” Milo cooly answers, “ it’s a good opener and it gets the crowd moving.”
“Anyone have a light?” Jack interrupts, cigarette hanging from his mouth. Angus instinctively grabs a lighter from his pocket and hands it to Jack.
“Thanks bro, now if you dudes don’t mind- I think Sarah is here,” Jack informs all of us as he leaves us.
I look around awkwardly catching Coyote’s glance, which makes him give me this half smile.
“So you’re going to take pictures tonight?” he asks me quietly as everyone else around us starts to drift into various conversations.
“Yeah, I guess so. Violet just told me to bring my camera,” I explain, badly.
Coyote gives me a genuine smile this time. “Cool,” he says.
“Yeah,” I mumble, “cool.”
♠ ♠ ♠
AHA! I got an entire chapter done in one night. Too bad I should have been sleeping or studying for my midterm and another quiz tomorrow. Oh well, you win some you lose some more.
Anyways, hopefully this is getting better? It gets better after this chapter (but I keep saying that, don't I?)

P.S. Band name= Everyday Winter. I made it up, and if you guys have something you think is better let me know! Nothing is set in stone.
P.P.S. This chapter is very not loosely based on how I became the photographer for a band.