If Wishes Were Horses, More Beggars Would Ride Them

The Show

Even though it had been about an hour or so, it really seemed like seconds between the time I had met the band and now as Violet ushered me into the dingy venue. The walls, covered in posters and graffiti art were completely familiar to me, but being here tonight just felt different somehow. This whole thing felt completely new to me. The crowd cheered as the guys got on stage, and Violet and I half wiggled-half shoved our way to the front as they set up their instruments.
There was a brief soundcheck and then suddenly the entire room exploded with noise. I watched incredulously as Milo, my sister’s quiet and somewhat reserved boyfriend, evolved into this completely new character before my eyes. Their music was some kind of mix between hardcore and punk, and even though I typically found myself liking indie and folk music, I couldn’t take my eyes off of them. They were magnetic, and I found myself wondering how it was that they could jump around the stage like that without hitting each other. I pulled my camera out quickly and started snapping as many pictures as I could. The nice thing about photographing them was that there was always something going on. No one stayed in the same place for long, except for Coyote on the drums.
I wasn’t the only one who liked their music, the crowd went crazy as the continued their set. In between songs Milo would stop and talk to the crowd, and they screamed and cheered right back. I even overheard some girls behind Violet and I comment on how hot the guys were. I know Milo had told me their set would be about forty minutes, but it felt like ten before he was thanking the crowd as the guys hauled equipment off the stage.
“C’mon Rose, let’s go meet the guys outside,” Violet says, pushing me through the crowd of sweaty people towards the door.
“No re-entry,” grumbles a security guard standing at the door.
I smile meekly towards him, but Violet blows him off completely.
“Don’t we want to go watch the other bands?” I ask her as the cold, night air wraps itself around me.
“Nah, the guys will probably want to grab some food. They’ll have the whole tour to watch the other bands- tonight it’s about spending time with everyone who’s staying here.”
It doesn’t take us very long to spot all of the guys trying to fit everything into the back of a white cargo trailer. Well, almost all of the guys-I noticed Jack looking pretty friendly with some girl near some other cars. I guess it didn’t really matter though, given that the guys were almost done loading everything.
“Hey Rose,” an all too familiar voice startled me from behind, “do you think it would be alright if I looked at the pictures you took tonight?” Coyote asked.
“Um, sure. I mean, if you want to,” I muttered back.
Coyote smiled at me and seemed genuinely excited as I carefully handed my camera over to him.
The other guys gathered around too, and soon the entire group was focused on my camera’s tiny display screen.
“These are good Rose,” they kept telling me, pointing out which photos they liked the best.
“You definitely have an eye for this kind of thing,” Milo said giving me look of pride.
“Of course she does, she’s my baby sister after all,” Violet joked, “and you guys needed her gift. It’s about time you guys got some new pictures for your websites.”
“It’s really no big deal, I actually had fun doing it. I’m sure I could edit the photos tomorrow and get them to you all somehow,” I say, trying to get out of the spotlight.
“Actually…” Milo starts, looking as if he’s come up with an ingenious plan.
Violet looks at him and smiles, and for a second it’s like the two of them are speaking telepathically.
“I think that’s a great idea Milo, you should ask,” she tells him.
“Ask what? What’s going on here?” Oliver asks, and I feel grateful that even Milo’s own brother doesn’t know where he’s going with this.
“Ahhh, I think I getcha,” Coyote says with a grin (of course),”I think, that if you’re thinking what I’m thinking-that’s a great thought.”
“What are you guys talking about?” Oliver asks, clearly frustrated about being left out from the conversation. Coyote leans over and whispers something in his ear, and immediately Oliver starts smiling.
“Milo, that would be perfect,” he says to his older brother.
“Can someone please tell the rest of us what’s going on here?” Jack asks impatiently, and I’m shocked that he was even following the conversation.
“It would be kinda nice to know what you guys are talking about,” I stammer.
“Rose,” Milo says to me, placing a large hand on my shoulder, “how would you like to come on tour with us this summer?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everybody, sorry I've been M.I.A. for so long. I have been buried in art projects for school. Anyways, I'm sick this weekend and I've had time to finish this chapter and start the next one. So hopefully that should be up soon.
Any comments would be lovely, but don't feel obligated.

Oh and P.S. The reason I came up with the name Coyote isn't a play off of The Chariot's bassist, Wolf (The Chariot is the band that I got the title from). I actually got Coyote from 1995 cult classic Empire Records- one of my all time favorite movies. In which a man named Coyote Shivers plays a character named Berko. I liked the name Coyote and I thought I'd use it in my story.