If Wishes Were Horses, More Beggars Would Ride Them

The duffel bag

“Only if you want to that is,” Milo continues explaining his idea to me.
“See, the thing is that we really need some photos of us playing live shows,” Coyote jumps in, “and you have that fancy camera right there, and you obviously know how to use it.”
“And we also need a merch person; someone we can trust with money, and who will be honest,” Oliver adds.
“I’m cool with it,” Jack says with a shrug.
I look to my sister for advice, but she seems to be on board with everything the guys are saying. I’m honestly not so sure what it is I want to do. I like their music, or at least what I’ve heard of it, but I have no idea what it would mean to go on tour.
So I ask them.
“What would it mean for me to go on tour?”
Milo holds up a finger, gesturing for me to wait a minute, then ducks into the trailer and returns with a napkin and a bic pen.
“Well, we’re going to be gone for a month, and the company has agreed to pay you this amount. Now, I know it’s not much, but if you maybe skip a meal or two a week, you could save a lot of money…maybe for college?” Milo shows me the paper with a number on it. It’s definitely not the biggest number in the world, but it’s definitely a big enough number to get me through a semester of school with the help of some scholarships.
“Won’t it be awkward, you know, me being the only girl and all?” It’s an honest question, and one that I want the answer to before committing to anything.
“I assure you, you will be treated more like a sister than anything else. I will guarantee it,” Milo persuades me.
He continues, placing a protective arm around my shoulder, “And if they don’t, I will make sure that there are consequences.”
I look over to Violet whose grin is perfectly plastered on her face. I give a half smile to the group in front of me, I hate having this much attention placed on me and right now I really just want some time to think.
“I really need a couple minutes to think it over, why don’t we decide where we’re going to eat,” I suggest to them, and slip out from Milo’s arm.
The guys start talking, or debating, about Mexican food verses Denny’s. As soon as I get the chance, I pull Violet to the side to talk to her about Milo’s proposal.
“Well,” she asks impatiently.
“I have no idea what to do Vi, what do you think?”
“I think it’s a smart move. Honestly, you’ll make more with these guys than you will at any minimum wage job you’d find around town. Plus, you’re cute, so guys will give you tips,” she continues, “AND it would make me sleep easier at night while Milo is gone, knowing for sure he’s not going to flirt with some girl while my baby half sister is there. Also, I’m sure something like this will be good for your resume, and you’re doing something in your field, which is getting you ahead of the other schmucks still stuck in school.”
Violet would have continued on but she’s finally noticed the small sad smile I’ve been giving her since she started her spiel.
“Do you really want me gone that badly?” I ask.
“Oh honey no, it’s not like that,” Violet does her best to reassure me, “I just think this would be a good experience for you, and I think it would make me sleep better at night knowing the guys have someone with them to keep them civilized.”
“Alright then, I’ll do it,” I decide.
Violet lets out a squeal of excitement for me, grabs me in a giant hug, then runs off to go get Milo.
I’m starting to wonder just what it is I’ve gotten myself into.
---------------------------

Once the guys found out I would be tagging along, they all bombarded me with suggestions about what to bring. There were the obvious things like a sleeping bag and my laptop, but there were some really random requests too-like strawberry Christmas tree air fresheners and a baker’s dozen of Mr. Wu’s Donuts. I was confused, but willing to comply.
So Violet and I opted out of going to dinner and instead rushed back to her apartment to get me packed. Luckily, most of my stuff was still packed after my eviction, so I only had to throw a few shirts and a couple pairs of jeans into my duffel bag and I was pretty much ready to go. I look around the apartment one last time, holding Miles in my arms, feeling a little bit morose about having to leave this warm, inviting place. Then again, even though I love my sister and she’s been so warm and friendly towards me, this place still isn’t my home. Now overcome with the sinking realization that I actually have no home, I set Miles down on the ground, and hold back the tears while I go and check on Violet.
“Here,” Violet throws an old sleeping bag into my arms, “you’ll need this.” She smiles at me with a hint of sadness, like it’s finally hit her that I’m leaving.
“Are you sure you want me to go?” I ask politely, hoping for a second that she’d change her mind and beg for me to stay.
“You’re going to do so great Rose, it would be selfish of me to keep you here.”
“But Vi-“ I try to interrupt.
“No buts, you need to go. You know you’ll always be welcome here right? My door is always open.”
I throw myself around Violet, wrapping my arms around her and squeezing her as tight as I can.
“I love you baby girl, and I’m sorry I wasn’t there,” she whispers to me.
Once we finally pull ourselves apart from each other, we both wipe the beginning of tears from our eyes, and Violet gives a nervous kind of giggle before looking around at my stuff. It’s still weird to me how easily my life can be condensed into a large duffle bag.
And that’s it, a quick stop to the store for some donuts and other more necessary items and I guess it’s time for me leave everything behind one more time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I have to admit I forgot about this story (and this site) completely, but I'm back and ready to jump back into this story again. So here it is, Chapter 6.