Status: Completed. Just did some edits though :)

Red.

1/1

Gerard Way stood in front of his bathroom mirror, watching his reflection one last time, because it was about to change right in front of his eyes.

His face was pale and round, his lips full, his eyes a brownish-green sort of color. He had rather pink lips and some untidy black eyebrows, all under a broad forehead. All of these things would all stay the same.

Then those brownish-green eyes focused on the black hair on his reflection. That’s what would go. That longish, scraggily raven hair that he’d been known for for years, even after he’d chopped it off and bleached the fuck out of it, it was still his signature look. But he was going to make a statement this time. He was sick of the black and the white and the colorless, he was going to make a splash, bring color to his pallid complexion. His eyes now tracked down the the boxes on his countertop: a bleach kit and bright red hair dye.

Red. He would have red hair. He would look absolutely shocking. Trip up everyone who thought that they knew him. With that box of hair dye, he would shatter all of the assumptions made about him based on his appearance. No longer would he be called a ‘gothic dough-boy’ as he had during the Black Parade days. No more emo cult leader. No. Gerard’s appearance would be bright, brand new - fucking shiny even.

With that thought, Gerard, picked up the pack of bleach powder in front of him and emptied the contents into his mixing bowl. He was ready, he decided as he added forty volume developer, mixing the solution into what resembled a gel.

~~x~~x~~

The transformation had taken quite a while considering the length of time that it took him to process his dark hair to a pale yellow before adding the pigment. But seeing the end product was worth it. He ran his fingers through his vibrant red hair, still warm from the blow dryer.

“Fucking brilliant,” he told himself with a wink as he took a last look at his reflection.

He could hear music coming from the television room, so he headed that way, ready to boast his new hair color to whoever was on the couch at that moment. He caught a glimpse of a tuft of bleached blonde hair on top of shaved brown sides. Mikey. If anyone would appreciate this change, it would be his brother, who had shocked his friends and fans with his new, outlandish hairstyle.

“Hey, Mikey, whatta ya think?” Gerard asked, entering the room, a hand smoothing his newly vermillion locks back. “Is it fucking amazing or is it fucking amazing?”

“M?” His brother raised his eyebrows and looked back, observing the new hair for a few seconds before he broke out into a bout of raucous laughter, actually clutching his sides and doubling over, causing the sides of Gerard’s mouth to turn downward in a frown.

“I thought it was edgy,” he offered, shrugging, put off by his brother’s unexpected reaction.

It took a few moments for Mikey to regain is ability to speak, but while he was laughing, he pressed the ‘on demand’ button on the television controller, scrolling down to ‘music videos’ and selecting ‘What’s My Name’ by Rihanna on the list.

“Oh na na,” Gerard heard a voice sing on the television. He furrowed his brow as he turned, unaware of a song with lyrics similar to his own. “What’s my name?” He was horrified as the image of a woman panned in on the screen. She did not have pallid skin, nor brownish green eyes, but her hair was bright red, and as she said ‘na na’ again, Gerard groaned, sinking down into the sofa as his brother burst out in a fresh fit of laughter.

“Motherfucker…” Gerard mumbled. Not only was his hair the same as the pop star’s on screen, but they even shared lyrics. His face may have been a deeper red than his hair for all he knew.

“Na na-na na na-na na-na na na-na-na na,” his brother sang to the tune of their upcoming single, still chuckling, wiping a tear out of the corner of his eye as he clapped Gerard on the back. “What’s your name?”

Image