‹ Prequel: Lullaby And Goodnight

My Father, My Brother

This Was It

"Ellie keep still!" Jamia laughed, almost stabbing me with a pin for the billionth time.

"I can't, you're tickling me!" I cried between giggles as she tried to pin the material under my arms. She gave up momentarily to laugh at me.

"Frank, come and pin Ellie down for a minute." She called into the next room. Frank emerged with a grin on his face, having listened to the laughing and struggling. He stood in front of me and held my wrists together above my head, holding on tightly while I squeeled and laughed, trying to squirm but unable to as Frank put his feet on mine to pin me down while Jamia pinned the material under and along the underside of my arms, and down my sides. Once she'd done she stood back and allowed Frank to let me go. She trimmed the material down until she had the right size then allowed me to carefully take it off so she could sew it.

Once she'd done, she repeated the same procedure on my legs, but without the giggling and struggling, although Frank stayed around just in case. He was needed when she took the measurements for a dress as she was pinning beneath my arms again.

"All those kids we could have adopted and we got the wriggliest, most ticklish, and softest one!" Frank grinned, holding my arms up again.

"I was the most awesome though." I smiled back, biting my lip and trying not to giggle, and failing. He let me go when Jamia had finished and allowed me to slowly and carefully take off the material for Jamia to sew.

"Thank you for your help poppet." She smiled at me as she took to the sewing machine.

"You're welcome. I'm sorry for being so wriggly." She grinned at me over the machine.

"It's okay, we had Frank to control that." She winked at me and got to work while Frank took me back into the lounge where the dogs had taken up the furniture. I lifted Mama up and sat down on the couch, setting her back down on my lap. She didn't even open her eyes, the lazy thing. Texas was laying beside me, and he lazily lifted his head and put it on my lap before going back to sleep. I petted his head gently.

"So... how's Gerard doing?" Frank asked, his voice was kept low and I glanced at him suspiciously before I answered.

"He's good. He's gone out with Lindsey today. I didn't bother asking where." He nodded slowly.

"So he's pretty serious about her huh? Is she good to you?"

"He seems to be. She spends a lot of time at our place. She's great with me, she was playing with my hair while we were watching a movie last night. She acts a little like my mom though."

"As long as she treats you right. What about Jamia? Do you like her?"

"Jamia's great. I don't really know her but when I have spoken to her, like now, she seems really nice. I'm happy for you both."

"Thanks kid. I was worried you wouldn't like her."

"You married her quick enough to say you were worried."

"Was that meant to be a dig?"

"Not particularly."

"I should hope not young lady." The atmosphere was suddenly tense and I didn't respond, feeling suddenly upset that I'd annoyed him. I sighed and he glanced at me from the corner of his eyes.

"I'm sorry Frank, I'm just not over all this yet." He ran his hand through his hair and slumped slightly.

"I know this is all my fault El. I remember when my parents divorced, it really hit me hard, so I know how hard this is for you. But, you know Gerard and I will always be close."

"That's not the same as waking up and knowing you'll both be downstairs arguing over who makes the coffee that morning though." He smiled sadly.

"I know honey, but now you have two families, twice the people to love you."

"To be honest Frankie, I'd rather just have my two dads together again. You guys were so in love."

"Ellie, Gerard and I will always love each other, deep down, but that part of our life is over, and it's time to move on." I nodded slowly.

"I know, I know. I can still dream though."

"I don't want you getting your hopes up."

"I'm sure I'll accept and get over it eventually. I'll have to. You're married, and pretty soon he'll be married too."

*Time Elapse - September 3rd 2007*

*Gerard's POV*

This was it. I was standing in front of the mirror in our dressing room, running a brush through my hair one last time to make sure I at least looked presentable. After all, there were bound to be cameras somewhere. A soft tap at the door broke my focus and I smiled, thinking it would be Lindsey.

"We're not meant to see each other yet." I said sarcastically, as we had already seen each other just a couple of hours previously back stage.

"Well my apologies sir." Said a small, familiar voice. Definately not Lindsey's. I turned to face Frank, who had stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. He was leaning back against it, his hands behind him, with a pained expression on his face. I held my breath slightly and looked him right in the eye.

"What's up Frank?"

"I wanna talk to you Gee... Please... Don't do this. You're making a huge mistake." He didn't move from the door, and I knew it was to stop someone coming in. I felt my palms get slightly sweaty, but I felt cold all over.

"It's a little too late for that Frank." I heard the lock click and he finally stepped towards me. I backed up slowly against the wall until he was standing right in front of me, though not touching me.

"Come back to me Gerard. We can be a family again. Leave all this behind and come back to me." His voice was just a whisper, and I felt his warm breath against my skin, making it tingle.

"I can't Frank, it's too late. You're with Jamia, and I'm about to marry Lindsey." He took another step closer and touched my cheek so gently I barely felt it, his fingerless gloves leaving him free to still touch me. My breath caught momentarily in my throat.

"Kiss me and tell me you don't want this." If he hadn't been so close I wouldn't have heard him. His voice was low. One of his hands settled on my waist, while the other threaded through my hair. He pulled me closer and pressed our lips together. The taste of sweet coffee and cigarettes invaded my mouth, taking me back and reminding me what I was missing. I felt myself melt unintentionally against him, but my hands stayed limp at my sides. His tongue brushed lightly against my bottom lip and I granted him access, deepening the kiss. His smaller body fit against mine perfectly, the way it always had. I saw fireworks flash in my closed eyes, and I knew I'd regret saying this. He slowly broke the kiss and his eyes met mine. I whispered against his lips...

"I don't want this." I lied.

*Frank's POV*

Gerard pushed lightly passed me and walked out, leaving me facing the wall, alone. I slammed my fist against the wall and groaned, leaning my head against it. I licked my lips, savouring the lingering taste of him. I sighed and turned, looking at the door he'd just walked out of. I felt like he'd walked out of my whole life in that moment, though I knew it wasn't true. I felt ashamed that I'd just cheated on Jamia, but I knew that if I didn't at least try for him, I'd always regret it. After taking a moment to recompose and calm myself down, I followed him, heading to the event I wouldn't mind skipping. This was it.

*Ellie's POV*

This was it. I was sitting on a speaker beside a sound technition called Jayne, watching Gerard tie the knot with my teacher. There weren't any gowns, there were no bridesmaids, or music, or anything. We were in Colorado, backstage of Gerard and Lindsey's show. I rolled my eyes at how bad this was. It was Gerard's first wedding and absolutely no thought had gone into it, it was also rushed and far too casual for such a big commitment. I couldn't even hear what was being said, so I didn't hear any of their vows or the 'I do's' or anything. Frank was at the back of the room, his arms folded across his chest and a frown on his face. He didn't look much happier about things than I was. Ray stood behind Gerard, and Mikey a few feet away from him, both grinning and looking happy for him. As did Bob, who was stood a few feet in front of me. There was a camera here, but they only snapped a couple of photos, and none of them in my direction, but I stayed back here where I was safe anyway.

Suddenly Gerard leaned in and kissed Lindsey and everyone clapped. Everyone except Frank and myself. I rolled my eyes and hopped down from the speaker, walking away while everyone congratulated them and took photos. I noticed Frank didn't hang around either. I pushed my long blonde hair back out of my face and made my way into the main arena and out towards the merch stalls, where some fans were still gathered. I didn't have my 'costume' on so my yellow sweater and green skinny jeans stood out massively among the black band t shirts most people were wearing. I looked around at these fans, wondering how they would feel if they knew their heroes were currently getting married and none of them were aware. I sighed and felt sorry for all of them. I wondered how many of them would be upset or annoyed if they knew. I bought myself a drink with the handful of change in my pocket and hung around outside the main doors. A small group of teens not much older then myself noticed I was alone and called me over.

"Hey, have you lost someone?" A green haired boy asked with a smile on his face. I shooked my head and went over to them.

"Nope. I came here alone, just getting some air."

"Hang with us if you'd like, we're gonna wait to meet the band!" Sigh

"Oh cool, thanks guys. So what are your names?" I asked, standing in their circle.

"Well I'm Kain, and this is Lauren, Dallas, Tanya and Tessa." The green haired boy told me, pointing around the different member of the group.

"What's your name?"

"Ellie."

"Nice to meet you. Did you enjoy the show? It was awesome!"

"Yeah it was great." My heart was just not in this conversation at all, but they didn't seem to pick up on it. I listened to them chattering for about ten minutes, before my phone buzzed in my pocket. I checked the caller I.D and saw it was Frank.

"Excuse me guys, dad's calling." I smiled and stepped our of ear shot before answering.

"Where the hell are you!" He asked sharply, but didn't yell. I realized I'd been gone around half an hour to fourty five minutes without telling anyone where I was going.

"I'm outside the main doors with a few kids waiting to meet everyone."

"Okay wait with them and we'll get you on the bus when we all come out."

"Alright, and Frank?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry." He knew what I was sorry for, he didn't need to ask. I heard him sigh and already knew he'd be running his hand through his hair.

"Yeah, see you soon." He hung up and put my phone back in my pocket, going back to the group.

"Your old man making sure you didn't die?" Tanya grinned, playing with the hem of her My Chem t shirt.

"Yeah you could say that. I'm allowed to stay and meet the band with you guys though."

"That's awesome. You gonna get them to sign your bag?" Kain said, nodding to my black and white backpack that I had over both shoulders. I grinned and nodded, not bothering to say anything, and with no intention to let them ruin my bag.

When everyone went to the back doors to stand by the barrier to wait for the guys, I went with them. Not many people were here compared to the usual crowd that usually gathered after a show. They eventually emerged, Gerard stood up front with Lindsey, holding her hand. Frank's eyes scanned the crowd and settled on me. Kain nudged me in the ribs.

"He's looking directly at you Ellie oh my god!" I forced myself to seem excited. Mikey came over and spoke to the crowd I was with, asking us all our names and signing various items they thrust at him.

"Get him to sign your bag Ellie!" Tess urged, whispering at me, although Mikey heard and glanced at me. I felt my face pale. I didn't want my uncle vandalising my favourite bag, but I had to keep up the act. I hesitantly took it off my shoulders and Mikey smirked as he signed it and handed it back. He caught my eye and I subtly glared at him. Frank came over next, and did the same as Mikey, except I wouldn't let him touch my bag. He mouthed 'wait there' at me and I nodded in the most subtle way I could. Once the guys had passed through the crowd and got onto the busses, the crowd thinned out.

"You coming Ellie?" Kain asked, the group about to walk away.

"You guys go, I'm meeting my dad here soon."

"Alright, if you're sure you'll be okay alone."

"Hey if anything happens, the band can come and save me." I winked and they grinned at me, saying goodbye and walking away. It was another fifteen minutes before the area was empty, and that's when I made my way onto the bus. Lindsey was on our bus, as predicted. I groaned internally and sank down on the couch at the front of the bus.

"I'm sorry about your bag." Mikey laughed and sat beside me.

"What happened to your bag?" Bob asked, sitting on the couch opposite us.

"The kids Ellie was hanging with got her to hand it over to Mikey for him to sign." Ray laughed, grabbing himself a can of cola from the mini fridge.

"Aw I'm sorry man." Bob grinned, accepting the can Ray threw at him.

"It's okay, he can buy me a new one." I winked at Mikey and and he threw his arm around my shoulders. I leaned lightly against him.

"At least if you ever get bored of it, you can sell it. We'll all have to sign it first though, cause nobody wants Mikey's signature." Frank suggested and joked, coming and sitting on the floor in front of me, pointedly avoiding the empty seat next to Gerard and Lindsey, who were head to head and sharing the odd kiss. Frank rest his head back against my legs that were up on the couch and I stroked his hair back gently. He closed his eyed and yawned.

"We're gonna go to bed guys, it's been a long day." Gerard said as he and Lindsey stood up. All the guys glanced between each other with a small smirk on their faces. Except Frank who didn't even acknowledge that Gerard had spoken.

"Okay you two. Ellie can bunk with us tonight, give you guys a little privacy." Ray smirked and I cringed so bad. Feeling slightly sick. They said goodnight again and disappeared to the back of the bus and to the bunks.

"Do you mind sharing a bed with me El? I know you're a little old for that now but if you mind I'll sleep on the floor, or with Mikey." Frank asked, looked up at me from his spot on the floor.

"No no, I don't mind. I'd never make you sleep on the floor." So that was that for the night.