‹ Prequel: Lullaby And Goodnight

My Father, My Brother

Or Best For Your Love Life

*Ellie's POV*

"Gerard Way and Frank Iero are definately dating! I mean, did you see that show last night!?" Rhyland enthused as we walked into Starbucks hand-in-hand. I glanced at him as he got giddy about it and rolled my eyes.

"That was not a fan service kiss, Frank full on made out with him!" I couldn't believe how excited people got over their stage kisses.

"They are both married to women Rhy." I reminded him. He grinned at me.

"I like to pretend though. I'm not gay, but I totally ship Frerard. You're the only girl fan I know that doesn't." I half smiled at him and ordered my coffee.

"I'm just realistic. If Frerard was real, surely they'd announce it as they're all for being open and stuff, but since they both recently got married, I doubt it's real." Anymore. I took my coffee and took a sip while Rhyland got his own.

"Besides, I'd love for Frerard to be a real thing, but it's not." I added, re-taking Rhyland's hand in my own. He led the way out of Starbucks.

"Well whether it's real or not, Frank was definately into that kiss last night; he stopped playing his guitar and everything!" I'd never known a guy get so excited about my dads doing something as simple as kissing. He'd have lost it if he knew I used to see it on a daily basis. I was wearing Frank's fingerless gloves and his old red hoodie that he hadn't worn in ages, and I wrapped myself tighter in it to try and keep warm in the cold November air.

"So what were they like when you met them backstage?"

"They were cool. Frank showed me a few chords on his guitar, Ray made me a hot chocolate."

"You're so lucky Ellie, I'd kill to meet them!" I gave him a jokey, worried look and he grinned and nudged me playfully.

*Gerard's POV*

"You know Gee, maybe you should think about moving. You've lived in New Jersey all your life. Isn't it time for a change?"

"You want us to move? Well... where would we go?"

"Well, I was thinking about you maybe moving to L.A and moving in with me. The studios are all there too."

"What about Ellie?"

"Obviously she'd be coming with us. We'd have a nice three bedroomed house and there'd be plenty of space for us all."

"I'd have to think about it Linds. This is a huge decision. I'd have to take Ellie out of school and have her transferred. I don't think she's gonna like this idea one bit."

"It'd be for the best Gerard. She'll make new friends, and she'll settle in eventually. I think this move would be good for all of us."

"Let me think about it, okay?" I took Lindsey's hands and kissed them. She smiled and nodded.

"I know this will be a huge change for you, so take as much time as you need to think about it." I smiled and kissed her quickly to thank her for being so understanding. She hugged me and I glanced over her shoulder at Frank and the rest of the guys. Frank had obviously heard part of the conversation as he was looking at me with a slightly pleading expression. I gave him a sympathetic look before seperating from Lindsey and seeing her smile brightly at me. She hopped down from our bus and made her way over to her own to prepare for tonights show. Frank came over and pulled me by the wrist into the bathroom and locked the door behind us.

"You're leaving Jersey!?" He demanded to know in a whisper.

"I haven't decided yet Frank."

"You can't take Ellie away from me! I'll never see her if you're in L.A Gerard!"

"Of course you'll still see her! She could spend holidays with you and you'd see her during tours and recordings and stuff." He sighed and threw his hands up exasperatedly.

"I don't wanna lose you either Gee... I love you..." I froze and looked into his pleading eyes that shined brightly in the dim light of the bathroom.

"You lost me the day you cheated on me Frank." The hurt in his eyes was evident and I felt guilty, but I wasn't going to give in to those big beautiful eyes that made me melt inside. He took a step closer and put his hands on my chest lightly, still looking searchingly into my eyes.

"I'd take it all back if I could. If we could just go back to how we were, back to our home in New Jersey with Ellie and the dogs." His voice had dropped to a whisper, but he was so close I could hear him clearly.

"Well you can't. You'll go home to Jamia, and I'll be moving with Lindsey and Ellie to Los Angeles. You've made your bed Frank. Now lie in it." I pecked his lips before pushing him softly away and leaving the bathroom. I heard him sit on the toilet seat and sigh. I instantly felt guilty and wanted to go and comfort him, but I had to remember that it was his affair that broke us up in the first place.

*Ellie's POV*

It was my last night at Laura's I collapsed back on her couch with her and Rhyland, the two dogs on the floor. We all had pizza and were in our pyjamas, although it was only 11pm. Laura had offered to let Rhyland stay, saying she trusted us and his mom had hesitantly agreed. Gerard and Frank would have never let me have boys stay so I weren't to tell them. We all took a bite out of our last pizza slices at the same time while the TV blared in front of us. We'd just watched another of My Chemical Romance's gigs, although this one had been uneventful. There'd been no more kisses (much to Rhyland's disappointment).

"Okay guys, bed time. You'll have to be up relatively early if Rhyland needs to get out early." Laura said as we all threw our pizza boxes on the coffee table. We stretched and stood up. Rhyland was staying in a seperate room to me so I hugged him goodnight before we went to our seperate rooms. Laura cleared up before heading off to her own bedroom. I snuggled down under the sheets and closed my eyes to sleep, yawning a few times. It must have been about half an hour until my door opened. I didn't have to open my eyes to know who it was, but I looked anyway. Rhyland grinned cheekily at me in the dark and came and laid on my bed with me. He draped his arm over my waist and kissed me softly. I smiled against his lips and touched his jaw lightly with my fingertips. He slowly pulled away and looked at me sadly.

"I don't want you to go back to the USA. I'm really gonna miss you." He sighed and pushed my hair back behind my ear.

"Don't worry about that Rhyland. No doubt I'll be back eventually, and you have my email, so you can talk to me whenever you like." He nodded slowly but still looked sad. I pulled him back to me by his t shirt and kissed him again. His arm tightened around my waist as he kissed me back. He pulled me to lie on top of him, but it was totally innocent as he wrapped his arms tightly around me in a comforting, tight hug, our lips still together in a sweet kiss. I could feel him smiling against my lips. His arms loosened and he tickled up and down my sides lightly with his fingertips, making me shiver. I pulled away gradually and lay beside him, our fingers laced together, and that's how we fell asleep.

***

We were lucky to wake up early; early enough for Rhyland to sneak back into his own room and get ready without getting caught while I got myself ready in my own. I showered quickly and changed into my white skinny jeans, Gerard's Iron Maiden shirt (yes, I have a lot of my dad's clothes in my possession) and my black converse. I was just putting myself a thin layer of eyeliner on as Rhyland came back in my room with slightly loose black jeans and an MCR shirt. His beanie still atop his head. He came over and kissed my cheek then sat on my bed and watched me casually until I'd done.

"I'll get going now so you have time to sort yourself out before you set off for the airport. I'm gonna miss you so much!" He whined as he stood and hugged me tightly. I hugged back and rest my head on his shoulder.

"I'll miss you too Rhy. The last few days with you have been awesome. You'll email me, right?" I felt him nod quickly.

"As often as I can." I smiled against his neck and left a soft kiss there. He let me go and I walked him to the door. He called his thanks and goodbyes to Laura before I let him out and closed the door behind him. I sighed when he'd gone and went to collect my things to pack up in time for being picked up.

"Thank you for letting me stay Loz. I've had a great time." She smiled at me over her breakfast bowl.

"Don't mention it Ellie. It's been a pleasure having you here." It wasn't long before there was a soft knock on the door. The dogs barked from their spots on the couch as Laura went to answer it. Gerard hugged her as he stepped inside and waved at me.

"Hey beautiful! Have you had a good time?" I ran over and hugged him tightly. He kissed the top of my head and laughed. I nodded at his question but didn't let him go.

"Come on Sugar, we have a plane to catch. Thank you so much for looking after her Loz." He said to her over the top of my head as I finally let him go.

"It was no problem at all Gee. You have yourself a great kid." He smiled proudly down at me and winked. He ruffled my hair and put his arm around my shoulders.

"That we do." He forced fifty english pounds at Laura for looking after me, then hurried me out after hugging her again as we had a plane to catch.

"There's my best girl!" Frank cried as I was hurried onto the bus and we took off before Gerard had barely gotten the door closed. I ran and jumped on him on the couch and everyone came over to hug and greet me like I hadn't seen them in years.

***

"Thank god for that!" Gerard cried as we finally put the rat cage in our lounge. Our cases were piled high by the door. We flopped down together on the floor and laid on our backs.

"I wanna talk to you about something important Ellie." He said quietly. I turned my head to look at him. He was staring at the ceiling with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Lindsey asked us to move to L.A with her. I'm planning on saying yes." I sat bolt upright and stared at him.

"Why do we have to move in with her!? I have school, we're near Frank here and we have all our friends. She lives on her own so why doesn't she just move in here!?" He sat up and ran his hand through his growing black hair.

"L.A is nicer El. It's bigger and it's safer and there's so much more for us to do. There's bigger studios and celebrities."

"But no Frankie, no Ray, no Mikey and no Bob. What about our family Gerard?"

"Mikey is in New York, Bob is in Chicago, it's only Ray and Frank here anyway. We could still come back to visit Donna and Donald and you can see Frank during school vacations and tours and when we're recording and stuff."

"I don't even get a say in this do I?" I stood up and walked out before he even had a chance to answer. I stormed upstairs like the stroppy teenager I was and slammed my bedroom door shut with all the force I could muster and immediately signed on to my computer. I felt a little more relaxed when Kayleigh popped up in chat.

Kayleigh: Ellie! Are you home now!? We should totally hang out after school on Monday!

Ellie: Yeah we just got in =/

Kayleigh: What's the matter doll?

Ellie: Gerard's just told me we're moving to L.A with Lindsey...

Kayleigh: WHAT!? So you're leaving school for good!? No... nonononono I wont let you!

Ellie: I don't have a choice. Gerard didn't even ask me, he just flat out told me. He's coming upstairs now, I have to go. Talk more in school on Monday, bye!


I signed off quickly and lay on my bed on my stomach, hugging my pillows underneath me, feeling comforted by the familiar smell. There was a soft rapping at my door then Gerard peaked around it, looking really guilty.

"Ellie? What do you want for dinner tonight sugar?" I ignored him and he sighed, then came and sat on the edge of my bed. I turned my head and looked blankly at him.

"I'm trying to do the best by you El. I really am. I think this move is what's best for both of us. I know the idea of leaving your friends behind it hard, but you'll quickly make new friends, and you'll have everything at your fingertips. Think of the opportunities growing up in L.A will give to you."

"I don't want new opportunities dad. I want my family, and I want my friends."

"Lindsey is your family now." I sat up and looked at Gerard pleadingly.

"Please don't make me leave dad..." He looked at me sadly then sat back on my bed against the wall and pulled me in to hug him.

"I promise you, this is for the best."

"The best for who Gerard? For me and the band? Or for you and your love life." He looked at me with hurt in his eyes and I immediately regretted saying that, but I didn't take it back.

"For everyone. Like I've said, there's studios there we could use for recording, and it saves us travelling whenever we want to record a studio video." I went back to sulking.

"You'll love it Sugar, you'll see."

"I doubt that."

"We have meatloaf downstairs if you want that for dinner." I hesitated a moment before nodding and he went off to prepare it while I went back to sulking. I wasn't hungry, I was angry. Athough when I did emerge from my cave to eat it, it tasted delicious.