‹ Prequel: Lullaby And Goodnight

My Father, My Brother

Secret

"There's our little scout! Well... maybe not so little anymore. When did you get so tall and skinny?" Grandpa Donald asked, holding his hand on my head as if measuring me.

"She's always been skinny Donald! Our little rose is just blossoming." Donna enthused, kissing my cheeks and hugging me tight.

"I've missed you guys."

"We missed you too flower! You're not taking her back Gerard she's staying with us." Donna joked, still hugging me. Donald took the case from Gerard and shook his hand before giving him a masculine hug which made me laugh privately. Donna suddenly gasped as she set eyes on Lindsey's stomach. She put her hands on Lindsey's shoulders and hugged her carefully.

"My lord dear. Here come's our second grandbaby. Donald, another baby in the family." She was almost crying with joy, and I couldn't help but be amused by her. "You're looking radiant as ever Lindsey." She grinned.

"Thank you Donna it's lovely to see you both again. Thank you for letting us stay."

"It's our pleasure! Always nice to see our son and daughter-in-law, and our beautiful granddaughter of course. You know, I'm sure it was only last year she was brought to us wrapped in that cute little white shawl and now look, fifteen years old and stunning. You do lose the years at my age."

"I can imagine. I'm due next month and it only seems like yesterday I found out. It wont be long till our little one is Ellie's age."

"If it's a girl there's going to be a serious lack of testosterone in the house. I'm gonna have to buy weights or something to man myself up a little." Gerard grinned, finally speaking.

"You're gonna need more than weights to pull that off son!" Donald laughed to himself from behind me. I turned away to laugh, trying to disguise it under a cough. Gerard's playful death glare let me know I'd failed.

"Thanks dad." Gerard grinned at him.

"Come on kid, we'll take these cases upstairs while the old women catch up." Donald smiled, patting me a little roughly on the back. I picked up my own little case while he grabbed Gerard and Lindsey's.

"I can do that dad!" Gerard protested. Donald shot him a look which made Gerard smile but back down. I then followed him upstairs.

"You'll be staying in Gerard's old room, which is pretty much your room now. I'll dump this case in Mikey's room for them. You think Lindsey will be okay with the stairs?" Donald wondered outloud. I left my case on my bed and joined him in Mikey's room.

"Well she can manage ours so I think she'll be okay. Gerard and I can help her anyway." That satisfied Donald and he purposely put their case on the double bed.

"C'mon then kiddo, I'm sure Donna has a drink and a plate of bisuits with our names on it."

*Time Elapse*

"No no Ellie, over here sugar, that's it! There. Good girl, now the next one." Mikey instructed while we positioned tables in the venue Lindsey had booked for Gerard's party.

"Room for two more helpers?" Frank's voice suddenly echoed around the room. I practically dropped the table on Mikey's foot as I sprinted to Frank and Jamia, throwing my arms around them both. The three of us almost hit the deck as I practically jumped on them at full speed.

"Missed us by any chance?" Jamia laughed, kissing my temple.

"You betcha!" I laughed and Frank covered my face and head in kisses.

"We missed you too baby gal. Wow guys this place looks great! Happy birthday bitch face!" Frank called, unnecessarily as it was already echoy.

"Thanks, but there's still plenty to do so feel free to get stuck in." Gerard replied from the top of a ladder as he hung a banner from the ceiling. Mikey pointed to a load of table cloths that were on one of the window ledges and Frank immediately got to work setting them out neatly on the tables. Jamia and I began blowing ballons up. Ray took over my job of helping Mikey shift tables into the right places.

"Fuck! Shit, sorry!" Bob called from behind a mass of speakers and DJ equiptment across the room.

"You alright man?" Ray shouted back.

"Yeah, tripped over a wire. Nothing's broke. Speakers are fine too." His blonde head popped up over a speaker and he gave us a thumbs up. Alicia was helping him get it all set up as she had as much experience with the technical side of things. Christa and Katelyn were being ever so helpful and discussing pregnancy and babies with Lindsey who'd sat down for a well earned rest. The hall was soon set up looking awesome in black and red banners, black white and red balloons. Ray had set up a long table against one wall that would be for the buffet and Frank had gone after him decorating it like a pansy.

"He's such a woman." Jamia muttered under her breath beside me. I sent a balloon flying through the air as I laughed and let it go. She grinned at me and whispered.

"Don't tell him I said that." I put my hand over my heart.

"You have my word."

Four hours later, everything was ready. Donna was preparing the cold food such as sandwiches at home and Donald was being incredibly helpful by reading the paper. Gerard and Frank had stayed back to finish up doing some little arty bits that Gerard wanted doing while everyone else had gone home to rest up or prepare their bit for tomorrow. Each of the guys were making their own mix CDs to play tomorrow and the girls had gone out with Lindsey to baby and birthday shop while we were in Jersey. I'd gone home with Donna and Donald to help with the food like the good little granddaughter I was.

*Gerard's POV*

"If you move these ladders so help me god Frank I will kick your ass!" I cried, clinging to the ladder for dear life as Frank pretended to shake them beneath me. He laughed at my fear, looking up at me mischievously.

"I mean it!"

"I believe you princess don't worry." He let go of the ladder and leaned against it instead.

"Don't let it go though!"

"Gerard, even if I'm holding it, if that thing falls, I'm powerless to prevent it." I'm sure he heard me whimper from up here.

"Fuck." I whispered after I made the mistake of looking down.

"Oh don't be a pussy. You're not even afraid of heights!"

"I'm afraid of falling to my death on my birthday Frank!"

"You know Shakespeare died on his birthday."

"Why thank you, Useless Information Man! The day is saved." I heard him chuckle beneath me at my sarcasm. I finally took a deep breath and unwrapped my arms from around the top of the ladder to reach up and pin another hand drawn banner up around the main light. As soon as that task was done, I tightly gripped the ladder again and started to step down slowly. I didn't breath until my feet were firmly back on the floor.

"Want me to hang the next one?" Frank smirked, taking the banners from my arms and slinging it over his shoulder as he began his ascent. I held the ladder, feeling nervous for him. On his way back down, he stayed on the first rung from the ground so we were more or less the same height and leaned on the ladders.

"You know, this is the first time we've been alone since halloween." He said softly, absently picking at his fingers. I looked at him for a few seconds, expecting him to try something, but he didn't.

"So it is..." I leaned against the side of the ladder, well aware we were very close. He reached out and played with part of my hair. For once I didn't flinch or try to stop him , I just kept my eyes on his.

"What would Jamia say if she knew about your birthday Frankie? Aren't you meant to love her?" I asked softly, not really expecting an answer, just trying half heartedly to stop him making another mistake.

"I do... I just love you more."

"You don't mean that."

"If I loved her more I wouldn't be here with you right now. I wouldn't have been with you in that bathroom Gerard." I tilted my head to the side and evaluated him for a moment. I gripped the side of the ladders and swung myself around so Frank was between my arms, still standing on the ladder with me in front of him, my arms on either side of the ladder. I could see his chest rise and fall a little faster. If I didn't know him so well I wouldn't have noticed, but after spending years with the same person you even learn their breathing patterns.

"Gerard..." He almost whispered, looking directly into my eyes. It wasn't a question. I kept eye contact going, feeling him getting more and more nervous. I leaned in closer to him, but far away enough to still see him clearly.

"I'm not going to leave my wife and child for you Frank." I said softly.

"I don't expect you to." His hand touched my chest and traced patterns over the material of my shirt. The eye contact was still there.

"You'd really be willing to share me?" I teased him slightly, cocking one eyebrow with a slight smirk and putting my hands on the ladder rung that was behind him, on level with his bottom ribs, leaning slightly closer to him. I saw him gulp subtly. He slowly nodded. I was slightly taken aback, actually a little shocked by his response. I glanced around the room, pleased there were no CCTV cameras, or no people around.

"So you'd have an affair with me? Cheat on the very woman you cheated on me with?" I inched that little bit closer to him.

"You know I'd do anything for you Gerard. I made a mistake against you, and I'd make the same mistake to get you back." His voice was suddenly more confident, although he was still leaning back against the ladder, and he still looked nervous.

"You're not getting me back Frankie, but I guess if something happens between us at any given time, it can't be helped, right?" I smiled out of one side of my mouth and I saw a spark in Frank's hazel eyes.

"So you're technically agreeing to an affair with me?" He asked, suddenly getting a little more confident and putting his arms lightly and loosely over my shoulders, crossing his wrists casually behind my neck, putting more of his weight on the ladder behind him and the rung beneath his feet. I leaned forward and kissed him lightly. I felt him smile against my lips.

"Is that a yes?" He grinned when I broke the connection to look at him.

"Maybe if you're lucky." I smiled light heartedly and I practically felt his heart soar. The grin that spread across his pretty little face said it all.

"Before you say it, I know. This never happened." He smiled, his head tilting slightly to one side as he looked at me, his hair falling partly in front of his eyes.

"Not this time baby. This happened, but only to us. I know you wouldn't risk telling anyone anyway." He shook his head and nuzzled into my neck and sighed.

"You know how long I've wanted to be like this again? Too damn long." I wrapped my arms fully around his waist and held him close. Secretly relieved to have him back like this. Even if he was just that secret boyfriend. That sneaky bit on the side. He kissed the side of my neck affectionately.

"I think you should spend tomorrow night with me..." Frank whispered against my neck, before pulling back a little and looking up at me.

"How? I'm at my parents with Lindsey and you live with Jamia. Did you forget that bit?" He smiled slyly and leant back against the ladder.

"Your girl is pregnant. That makes Jamia broody. No doubt Lindsey wont want to be on her feet partying all night tomorrow, she's gonna wanna go home and put her feet up. That's when I suggest she stays at my place with Jamia, who's currently more interested in looking after Lindsey than partying. Then you and I go back to your parents so we don't disturb them. Just like when we were kids baby." He kissed down my neck suggestively.

"You've already thought this out haven't you?" I smiled, leaning my head to the side slightly and closing my eyes, allowing him to do as he wished. He nibbled my weak spot lightly, making me shiver.

"I've been planning it since you told me about the party."

"Maybe we can convince them to go back to my parents, so there's more people to tend to Lindsey and cause my mom is fanatic about Junior. Then you and I get your place to ourselves?" I felt him smirk against the skin on my neck.

"Even better."