‹ Prequel: Lullaby And Goodnight

My Father, My Brother

Karma

I groaned and rolled over, smiling as I felt Frank's warm back against my bare chest. I draped my arm over his waist and snuggled closer, breathing in his warm scent.

"Gee that tickles." He laughed groggily as I breathed out against the exposed flesh. He rolled onto his back under my arm and yawned up at me, making me smile.

"Good morning princess. What time is it?" He asked, reaching up and petting down my messy hair absently. I leaned across him to look at the clock.

"It's eleven thirty... Holy shit it's eleven thirty Frank we've slept in!" I jumped up and tried to hunt for the rest of my clothes that were strewn around the room. He sat up and blinked a few times before doing the same.

"Where the hell is my shirt?" I panicked, hunting everywhere. Frank's arms slid around my waist unexpectedly and slowed me down, calming me slightly.

"It's in the lounge baby where we abandoned it. Along with your jacket." I calmed down a little knowing where it was and having Frank so close. I turned in his arms and kissed his nose. Suddenly we heard women's voices downstairs.

"Shit..." We whispered in unison before Frank dived into his closet and got dressed quickly, tossing me one of his larger shirts and letting me throw it on. We didn't know what to do.

"Surely if we'd have been caught out they'd have woke us up straight away?" I whispered.

"Or waited to make us suffer. I know Jamia would have come up here straight away to make sure we were okay." We both just looked at each other, panicked.

"We have to go down Frank. We can't hide up here forever." He nodded slowly as we decided to face our fears head on, mentally preparing ourselves for inevitable divorces and arguments. I went down before him in an attempt to protect him from the first, and possibly worst blow. I could hear Lindsey in there as well. Oh shit. As we entered the room, they both looked up, their eyebrows raised. I knew we both still looked rough, messy hair and what not.

"Good night?" Jamia asked sharply. We didn't answer so Jamia spoke again.

"We thought you'd gotten lost so we came back to make sure Frank hadn't choked on his own vomit or anything, only to find you both cuddled up in bed together. I even got a photo, it's so adorable. You two have such a bromance." She laughed, holding her phone up and showing us the sickeningly adorable picture. Lindsey laughed from the couch behind her.

"Frank must have been pretty out of it last night."

"Uh yeah I was! Man Gerard had to strap me into the car. I don't even remember the ride home. I remember throwing up for ages though, so Gerard tucked me into bed." Frank improvised quickly, impressing even me.

"Yeah, I was so scared that he might puke in the night and choke so I stayed up to watch him, but some help I was, I fell asleep too."

"Why was your shirt on the lounge floor?" Lindsey said with a raised eyebrow, holding my discarded shirt from last night.

"That was my fault. Gerard was meant to be sleeping on the couch and was just getting ready to settle down when he heard me puking. He must of rushed straight up. You're such a bro Gee." He high fived me for added effect.

"I got your back man. Although if you'd have thrown up on me I'd have drown you in the bath tub." I laughed falsely. He grinned at me and I could see the relief in his hazel eyes.

"What would you do without him Frank. I certainly wouldn't have cleaned your puke up." Jamia grinned playfully at him.

"Thank you very much dear wife of mine." Frank huffed, kissing her cheek as he walked past her and into the kitchen.

"Drinks anyone? I already got you down for a coffee Gee."

"You're a gem!" He smiled lopsidedly at me, knowing that I loved that look. The girls politely turned down drinks. I sat beside Lindsey on the couch and kissed her lovingly, putting my hand on her stomach and giving it a quick kiss as well.

"How are you today?" I asked her, eyeing the bump that protected my baby.

"My feet are sore as hell but I'm fine baby. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your party? Even if the end did result in being splattered in Frank's dinner." Jamia choked back a laugh from behind me. I glared at her playfully over my shoulder, making her just grin at me in turn.

"The party was great. My parents and Ellie left not long after you. Towards the end it was just the rest of the guys and their girls so we had a good time. Frank had the most ingenius idea to climb that freaking ladder to get some of the decorations down at the end."

"You guys let him!?" Lindsey looked apalled.

"We assigned Ray to stand at the bottom if he fell!" There really was no defending myself. However, Frank saved me getting in any more trouble as he emerged baring coffee, which I almost knocked from his grip in my desperation to drink it.

"Bloody hell Gerard. Wait till it's out of my hand before you start drinking please!" He laughed, sitting in my lap with his own. Simply because there was no more room on the couch and the chair was very far away. At least a meter and a half. I did notice how gingerly he sat down though, and I couldn't help but smirk a little to myself as I though to myself 'I did that'. The girls glanced at each other with certain looks. We looked between them quizically.

"What?" Frank looked between them with his brows furrowed.

"You're both so gay. Should just admit it guys." Lindsey winked at him, playfully exchanging glances with Jamia.

"If you want us to be gay for each other we totally can be." Frank shrugged. I knew he was totally serious, but of course, they didn't know that.

"Hell no man! I prefer my partners to have breasts, thank you very much." I huffed. Frank very slyly shuffled in my lap, grinding his ass against my crotch. I almost choked on my coffee.

"Oh you're so romantic. I did pick a total catch." Lindsey said sarcastically nudging me playfully in the side.

"Yes you did. Couldn't have done any better sweetie I'm a gem." I smiled at her as she kissed me, both of us grinning.

"Come on then nerd, we should get back. Ellie will probably be missing you by now." She said against my lips. I nodded and finished off the last of my coffee.

"Uhm Frankie? You're kinda a bit of an inconveniance at the moment." I said resting my chin on his shoulder.

"You're just gonna have to carry me." He went limp on my lap, leaning back with his head back on my shoulder. I sighed and rolled my eyes. Jamia took everyones cups into the kitchen while Lindsey stood up and got her jacket and scarf on.

"Don't made me bite you. Cause I'll do it." I breathed huskily into his ear. He looked at me from the corner of his eye and a small smirk played on his lips. I took it as a dare and followed through, biting down over his pulse. He instantly jumped up, making me smirk. I stood up beside him and pecked his cheek as Lindsey turned to call something in the kitchen to Jamia, her back to us. He gave me a slightly panicked look. I just winked as I tucked my shirt into my pocket and pulled my jacket on over the shirt he'd loaned me.

"I'll get this back to you next time I see you, probably tomorrow." I shrugged, referring to the shirt. He just smiled and nodded. As Lindsey and I turned to leave, I let Lindsey walk in front. This gave Frank the opportunity to pull the shirt I wore last night out of my pocket and into his own. I gave him a questioning look and he smiled shyly. I let him keep it for the night. It was ultra cute that he wanted it anyway.

***

"Hey pop." Ellie said absently from her spot on the couch next to my dad, who was showing her old photos from the orphanage of Mikey and I as teenagers. Speaking of the devil... He emerged from the kitchen with a sammich in his hand, chewing happily.

"Hey stinky. Oh hey baby bro didn't think you'd be here." I smiled at him while helping Lindsey out of her jacket and helping lower her into the chair. I ruffled Ellie's hair and kissed her temple lovingly.

"Yeah man thought I'd come visiting before you guys left tomorrow. Why don't us guys go have a macho day out shopping or something this afternoon?" He said around a mashed mouthful of bread and ham. I smiled and shrugged out of my own jacket, hanging both up on the coat rack.

"A manly day shopping huh?" I laughed, leaning against the wall.

"Well I know that doesn't sound too manly. But apparently there's a new comic book store there, games stores and shit, sorry, stuff, like that so us two, Frank, Ray and Bob could all go check it out before you guys fly back. I mean none of us will probably see you guys until Peanut is born so, yanno, might be good for us." He said after he'd swallowed his food.

"Sounds pretty good Mikes, but I'm desperate for a shower first." I could feel the stickiness of my stomach through Frank's shirt and smiled a little to myself at the memory.

"Nah that's cool bro. Hey is that Frank's shirt? Why are you wearing his shirt?" He said, taking another bite of ham sammich. Ellie's head turned to look at me suspiciously, her eyes narrowing at the shirt slightly. I couldn't bring myself to look at her. I knew she wasn't stupid, she probably guessed. Please don't say anything Ellie. Luckily, she didn't open her mouth. When I looked back up at Mikey, he was wearing the same suspicious expression.

"He threw up on mine so he loaned me one while he washed mine. I'm gonna jump in the shower." I called out to everyone, in case anyone wanted to use the bathroom before I did, nobody did. I took the stairs two at a time, and I went into the room I was sharing with Lindsey to get ready. I was just digging out my shower stuff when Mikey came in, brushing crumbs off his shirt. I smiled up at him while I slung my towel on the bed and pulled my shirt off. I got a little nervous when he closed the door behind him.

"What's up Mikey?" I asked, giving him a concerned look and playing dumb.

"I think you know what. Why are you really wearing your ex boyfriends shirt?" I said quietly, sitting down on the edge of the double bed and looking up at me. He looked suspicious, but not judgemental.

"I told you!"

"I don't believe you. If you were really just looking after Frank last night, you would have been home earlier cause I know you can't sleep properly on couches as small as Franks. I also know you wouldn't have chosen an awkward night looking after your ex over spending a night with your pregnant, wife Gerard!" Oh... there was the judgemental look. I slid down the wall, sitting with my knees bent to my chest. Mikey came and crouched down in front of me and searched my eyes.

"You're sleeping with him again... aren't you?" He said very quietly and slowly, his eyes narrowed slightly, still searching mine for any hints. I looked away and nodded slowly, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. Mikey sighed loudly.

"Shit Gee..." He sat on the floor with me an looked at me while I silently let a guilty tear roll down my cheek.

"Please don't tell anyone Mikes. Especially not her." I whispered, pleading with him.

"Gerard, you know I don't support this. Lindsey doesn't deserve that, and neither does my niece or nephew."

"I know that Mikey!"

"But..." He continued. "You're still my big brother. I have no say in what you do. I already knew you and Frank were still hopelessly in love, and always will be, probably. You need to work this out Gerard. Jamia and Lindsey are wonderful women. They don't deserve this. Plus, you have a kid on the way, you think this would be best for the baby?"

"Of course I don't. I wont leave Lindsey or the baby, I love them both. I just..."

"Love Frank more?"

"Exactly..." I sighed as I gazed sadly at Mikey. He twisted his lips and sighed through his nose, his eyes searching mine again.

"I can't help you out of this one Gee. What does Frank want to do?" He tilted his head slightly to the side.

"He said a while back we could just run away together, be a family again with Ellie. I'd never do that of course." I said quickly to Mikey's shocked expression.

"Do you want him back?"

"Yes I do... But I already have a family, and I've accepted that my future is with Lindsey and the little one. Ellie as well of course but she'll have Frank as well."

"Staying is the right thing to do Gerard. Although... Do you think Lindsey deserves to know how you still feel about Frank?"

"No! No no no! She'll never trust me to be alone with him!"

"That's the point! you clearly need someone to keep you both seperate so nothing happens."

"What... what if we want something to happen Mikey?" I asked quietly, looking away again in guilt.

"Gerard!"

"Shhh! Mikey!"

"Look. We're gonna go out later, and we'll sit down and talk about this with Frank and the rest of the guys. This can't happen Gerard."

"Wont the other guys be really mad?"

"They wont tell the girls if that's what you're scared of?" I nodded slowly, finally looking up at him.

"I don't want this getting out. I didn't even want you to know."

"I know everything Gee. I wont tell anyone though. Go on, get your shower and we'll all meet up and get this sorted. I'll call around and gather the troops." I smiled at him as he stood and held his hands out to me. I took them and let him pull me to my feet. He left the room while I stripped to my boxers and made my way to the bathroom.

The hot water felt nice on my skin, slightly sticky with what happened last night and sweat from the party. I felt less grungy than I did before. My stomach tightened a little at the thought of seeing Frank again later, thinking back to what happened last night. I squirted shampoo into my tangled, messy hair and as I closed my eyes to lather it up, I let my mind wander back to everything that happened. The way his calloused fingertips had brushed lightly over my skin, every sound he made, the feel of having him close. It was something I hadn't realised I missed until now. In my mind, he was still my Frankie, no matter who we were married to. I finished in the shower about twenty minutes later, my hair soft and shiny from conditioner and feeling fresh and clean again. My disliking for dirt had probably stemmed from the hell Mikey and I went through as kids.

I tucked my towel around my waist and made my way to Mikey's old room, smiling at Lindsey who was just pulling something out of the case. She looked over her shoulder at me and grinned back, lighting up her pretty face.

"Pregnancy looks good on you. You're glowing." I charmed, snaking my arms around her waist and dampening her shirt a little. She snuggled into me and kissed my bare collarbone affectionately.

"I missed you last night. It was good to have Jamia but sometimes you just want your man to cuddle you and be there, yanno?" She said, looking up at me with those big beautiful dark eyes. I smiled sadly down at her and kissed her nose.

"You have me now sweetheart. From tomorrow we'll be home again and you have me every night, every day." She hummed and smiled against my chest again.

"Good." She leaned up and kissed me before heading back downstairs. I watched after her sadly, wondering what she'd think if she knew that her husband had been so unfaithful. I didn't allow myself to think for long as I pulled on a clean, tight fitting black t shirt and slightly baggy black jeans. I kicked on some old vans and dried my hair quickly with my towel, running a brush through it carelessly and leaving it messy enough to look intentional. I skipped back down the stairs in good spirits, pleased about seeing Frank later.

"Ray and Bob can't make it. Bob heads back to Chicago today and Ray's driving him so they're both out. Frank's up for it though, as am I. Can we get milkshake?" Mikey said in a very rehearsed way, not even looking up at me from the couch.

"Yes Mikey we can get milkshake. Do I have time for a coffee?"

***

"He didn't even let me have a coffee!" I moaned at Frank as we met up with him in the mall. Mikey had said it was too late as we were meeting soon and I'd taken longer than expected in the shower.

"Well luckily I got you both these." Frank said, holding out a paper tray of Starbucks coffee. I moaned as I smelt the familiar, enticing scent of rich, hot coffee and took one, thanking him profously.

"You, Frank Anthony Iero, are my hero." I grinned, taking a desperate mouthful of the coffee in front of me. His cheeks reddened a little and he smiled shyly. I noticed he'd gotten changed and showered since I left his house as well.

"Okay guys, I think we all know we have something we need to talk about." Mikey started as he headed towards the new Comic Book store. Frank looked at me worriedly and I nodded, comfirming his fears.

"What do you both intend to do about this?" Mikey picked up a comic and flicked through the pages,
not looking at us as he awaited an answer.

"There's nothing to do Mikes. Nothing we can do." Frank shrugged taking another mouthful of his coffee as he absently scanned the shelves.

"You guys have to do something. You can't just keep cheating on your girls like you are doing."

"Keep it down man, we're in public." I reminded him as I shuffled through a stack of comics on a centre display.

"Gee can't leave Lindsey now Mikes, and I aren't leaving Jamia." Frank leaned against the basket I was rifling through and we shared a small smile.

"But what about the baby!?" Mikey said, finally looking at us.

"This wont hurt the baby Mikes. I love my kid, I love my wife." I said, brandishing a iZombie comic and absently waving it around as I spoke.

"Likewise. Except the baby part." Frank spoke up quietly, suddenly stood beside me.

"You just love each other more, yeah I know, I get it." Mikey sighed, turning back to the racks. Frank smiled up at me and I blushed lightly as his fingers laced with mine subtly.

"So you guys are just gonna keep this going? I mean you obviously can't stay away from each other, so I guess that's out of the question. As is Gerard leaving Lindsey, especially with the current situation. I don't know guys, this is fucked up to shit." A woman beside him gave him a filthy look after he swore, making me look down to hide my smile. He gave her an apologetic look before she stopped away.

"All I'm saying guys, is that if this carries on as it is, sneaking a kiss or whatever here and there, karma is gonna come back and bite you in the ass. It wont be pretty." Frank and I exchanged worried glances, his hand tightening a little around mine. "Is this really worth it?"

"Yes." Frank and I answered stimultaneously. Mikey sighed exasperatedly, making us both grin at him.

"Go pay for them, I'm fucking starving!" He whined, motioning to the comics under my arm. I nodded and did as he said, then followed them both out of the store while I was stuffing them into the plastic bag I'd been given.

"You think the coffee is good there?" Mikey asked, a conflicted look on his face as he eyed the small family owned Cafe Narco.

"I presume so. Small businesses usually do the best coffee." Frank licked him lips eyeing the menue on the wall. We settled on eating there. It turns out they also did the best chicken salad. Frank was right though, the coffee was a dream.