‹ Prequel: Lullaby And Goodnight

My Father, My Brother

Tour Bus

*Ellies POV*

Frank dropped me at school the following morning, after an awkward breakfast conversation with Jamia about my favourite subjects at school. Texas sat in the back of the car, on my request, and drooled on my shoulder the whole way, while I scratched his head. The atmosphere was tense. When we pulled up at school, I was shocked to see Gerard's car there. I eyed it suspiciously, and nearly choked on my own breath when Miss Ballato got out. I don't think Frank noticed as Gerard drove away before we pulled over and started talking to me.

"I know things are strange right now El, but Jamia really wants you to like her. She's never had a kid around before, this will be good for both of you."

"Yeah yeah whatever. I'm not interested in 'female bonding' right now Frank." He nodded slowly in understanding before leaning over me to unlock my door.

"I understand, but please try, for me. Have a good day at school, and be good." He kissed my forehead before I got out and ruffled my hair affectionately. A few girls nearby were huddled together giggling behind their hands and staring at Frank. One of them approached me, she was in my science.

"Ellie Way, right? Is that your dad?" I nodded and slung my bag over my shoulder, heading into school, she walked with me.

"How old is he? Is he single?" I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"You don't stand a chance. He has a girlfriend! He's also nearly double your age. Move on!" I had no time for their crap today. Kieran met me at my locker as I slammed it closed.

"Bad morning?" Kieran grinned at me, leaning against his locker two doors down.

"Bad week I guess. Jamia is a total tool! She's all sweet and polite and asking me questions about music and school! It's sickening!" I whined and moaned at him, dragging my school bag behind me along the dusty floored halls.

"It sounds to me like she's really nice and trying to connect with you, and you're just being bitter." Kieran reasoned, raising his eyebrows at me. "Most other step parents aren't like that, some don't even bother, especially if the child they're trying to connect with is a teenager and not some toddler who doesn't know any better." I sighed in frustration, knowing he was right but not wanting to admit it. I just wanted to whine to someone and have someone sympathise with me. I huffed and puffed all the way to homeroom, then groaned out loud when I saw, and remembered who was my homeroom tutor. Lyn-z was sweeping happily around the classroom, handing out news letters. She grinned when she saw me enter. I said goodbye to Kieran as he continued to his own. Kayleigh was sat at our desk so I went and flopped beside her.

"Good morning Ellie, did you have a nice evening?" Miss Ballato asked, handing me a newsletter and taking a seat at her desk.

"It was okay, Frank took Jamia and I for pizza. How was your night?" I made a point of saying Jamia and I, making it sound like I liked her and that Lyn-Z might not be accepted by me. She rest her head on her hand and smiled.

"Sounds like you had fun. It was good thank you, your dad is a lovely man." I nodded in genuine agreement. Kayleigh sniggered beside me and I nudged her in the ribs.

"I can't believe they went on a date." She whispered, leaning closer to me on the desk, I leaned towards her as well so our heads were nearly touching.

"That's not all. When Frank dropped me off this morning, Gerard's car was just driving away. I think she stayed the night at my house and Gerard dropped her off this morning... She spent the night Kayleigh!" I whispered dramatically at her. Her jaw dropped and her hand covered her mouth.

"So does that mean they're like... officially dating now?" I shrugged and sighed, slumping low in my chair and rubbing my hands over my face and sighing. I watched Miss Ballato through my fingers while she signed a few papers, a small smile on her face. She seemed to be... glowing? I whined and let my blonde head fall back, exhasperated.

The ride on the school bus home took forever, especially since I was alone half of the ride since Kayleigh got off before me, and Kieran walked home. I sat in silence waiting for the bus to pull up at my stop, ignoring all the yelling and tossing of paper planes around me. When it finally pulled up at my stop, I practically lept off and ran down the street till I reached my drive way, sprinting up it and unlocking the door with my set of keys.

"Gerard?" I called into the empty house. His car wasn't in the drive so I guessed he was over at Mikey and Alicia's. I sighed and threw my school bag onto the kitchen table, before helping myself to a glass of lemonade. I pulled my homework out of my bag and got on with it, not caring about why John and Lenny bought sixty three water melons and how many guests they had to be divded by. I just didn't care. What I did care about, was why my dad was sleeping with my teacher! I made myself another drink and went and sat in the lounge. I was bored without the dogs, I could be out walking them right now, but instead I'm sat upside down on the couch playing Kingdom Hearts on our PS2. It was an hour and a half later when Gerard finally came home.

"Ellie?" He called, much like I'd called for him, when he came through the front door.

"In here!" He came in and grinned at my legs over the back of the couch, tossing his black leather jacket over the arm chair and coming to sit beside me. He crossed his legs and lit a cigarette, watching my game.

"How was school?"

"Awkward, thanks to you."

"Me? What did I do?" He looked at me with his brows furrowed slightly, a hurt look on his face.

"Frank dropped me off at school a few minutes earlier than usual, and who would we see, but you, dropping Miss Ballato off. Why was she with you that early Gerard?" I paused my game, and sat upright on the couch, turning myself to face him. A flash of guilt crossed his face and he looked away from me, taking another long drag on his cigarette.

"Okay okay, so she spent the night. Is that such a bad thing?" He looked at me almost pleadingly, and I almost felt sorry for him. I sighed and leaned back.

"No I guess not... But you and Frankie only just broke up, don't you think you're both moving on too fast here?"

"What's Jamia like?" I rolled my eyes at his subject change and took the hint, going back to my game.

"She's okay, a little plain but she seems nice enough. They have a new dog as well. Can we get another dog?" He looked away and shook his head. No dog for me then I guess.

"...Did Frank mention me?" I glanced at him, looking into his sad looking eyes and shook my head. He nodded slowly and went to grab a coffee.

"I wanna talk to you El." He said to me when he sat back down. I saved my game and turned off the console, coming back to sit cross legged beside him on the couch.

"My Chemical Romance are going back on tour, with Mindless Self Indulgence, on Monday. So you'll either have to come with us and be tutored. Or you can stay with Donna while we go. It's entirely upto you." I nodded and thought about it. I could do with a bit of time on the road. I enjoyed being tutored one on one, it made me work harder.

"I'll come on the road with you, if I'm allowed?" Gerard nodded and grinned at me.

"Although... there is one little thing..." Gerard began hesitantly, eyeing me warily. I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously. "This tutor... Well it would have to be someone who's trained to teach, and also someone who can tour with us... Well.. there will be a teacher touring with us, and she's in Mindless Self Indulgence... Lyn-Z is their bass player." I groaned loudly, making my displeasure known.

"So your girlfriend gets to be my tutor for the whole tour?" He nodded guiltily and I sighed.

"Dad... I think this is really weird. She's my teacher..." I looked down as my lip trembled and he pulled me into his lap.

"Oh sugar, don't be upset. I know things are strange right now, but you'll get used to it. Lyn-Z really does like you. You should have heard how she was talking about your art project last night, she was so proud that she has such a talented student. I really want you to like her sweetie, and so does she." I nodded against his chest and held back my tears.

"I just want Frankie to come home." I whimpered pathetically. I heard him sigh and cuddle me tighter.

"I know beautiful, I know. Sometimes adults break up, and I know it's hard but it can't be helped. Frank and I are still going to be friends sugar, we're still in the band together." I nodded and sighed.

"At least we'll all be together on the tour bus. Even if Jamia and Lyn-Z are there too." I felt Gerard smile against the top of my head.

"Exactly." We stayed cuddled up together for a while, just spending time together.

"So did you have a good night at Franks and Jamia's?" He asked as I climbed over the back of the couch and went to make us both a coffee. He followed me in and leaned against the doorframe, crossing his arms. I nodded as I poured the water into the two mugs.

"Yeah I did. Frank took us out for pizza, then I slept on the couch with Texas, Mama and Peppers. Jamia was trying to talk to me about music and school and stuff, I didn't really know what to think, but she gave me a hug before bed."

"So she's nice?"

"Hmm she seems it. She's kinda plain, black hair, brown eyes, no real distinct features. Not yet anyway." He smiled slightly and flicked his hair out of his face.

"If you like her, you don't have to hide that from me sugar."

"I don't! Well I do but not much. I don't know her to like her. She was nice to me so I was nice enough to her. I have no opinion of her."

"I must say Ellie, you're being very mature about this. I'm proud of you kiddo." I grinned and handed him his coffee while I took a sip of my own.

"Well I'm trying to be understanding and accepting of both yours and Franks new relationships. Lyn-Z seems nice, she's a good teacher, and Jamia is polite and obviously really loves Frank, so, who am I to judge either of them."

"You really think she loves him? You think he loves her?" He raised his eyebrows and sat on the counter top, his coffee beside him.

"I don't know if he loves her, but she definately loves him. She looks at him like he's the whole world, gets a really mushy, love sick look on her face. It's gross!" He grinned at me.

"Of course it's gross to a thirteen year old sugar, when you're older you'll understand how it's a beautiful thing."

"Yeah yeah yeah dad, still gross." He rolled his eyes at me playfully.

*Time Elapse*

I leaned back and hauled my case towards the bus, panting and huffing away, until Ray came over and took it from me, laughing.

"Gonna need to build those muscles up Ellie if you wanna help and become a stage hand." I hit his arm playfully, knowing he was joking cause I wasn't allowed to help with the stage equipment anyway. Bob hugged me and swung me around in greeting.

"It's nice to see you again slugger. You've grown!" He put his hand on top of my head as if he was measuring me. I leaned against him and chatted to him for a few minutes before Mikey and Alicia turned up.

"Mikey!" I called and ran to him, throwing my arms around him and Alicia. They hugged me back enthusiastically and Alicia put her arm around me as we stood talking to the rest of the guys while we waited for Frank and Jamia. They turned up after a couple of minutes and the guys high fived each other, including Frank and Gerard. Gerard shook hands in a civilized manner with Jamia, as Frank did with Lyn-Z, before Jamia kissed Frank goodbye and we all boarded the bus once Ray had hauled all our cases on, and Mikey had said goodbye to Alicia. I stared around the bus. On the inside and to the left of the door was a big couch against the two walls either side, the front of the bus had a door in it that led to the drivers cabin. Directly in front of me and to my right was a round dining room table with a round couch going around it and a kitchen area. There was a door just past the kitchen area that led to the bathroom on the left, and the bunks straight ahead. Luckily there were two seperate cabins so Frank and Gerard didn't have to share. Ray, Frank and Bob all chose to sleep in one cabin, while Gerard Mikey and I slept in the other, Lyn-Z would be on her own bus once we reached the first venue.

I sat on the couch near the drivers door with Lyn-Z as she talked to me about the school work I'd be doing. Apparently there'd be a new sub that was taking over her for the month we'd be gone. She'd bee approved to teach me art, maths, english, science, geography, and history. The boys went and unpacked their cases in the bunk rooms and I went with Gerard to unpack my own. Once we were done we all sat around the dining room table. Mikey on the end, then Bob, then Frank, then myself, then Gerard then Lyn-Z, then Ray. They were discussing the first gig of the tour. I wriggled out under the table and pulled my blue notebook out from my backpack that was sitting on one of the twin couches and nodded Lyn-Z over, ready to get started on a bit of school work. She started me with English, assigning me The Great Gatsby to read.

"After each chapter I'll ask you to write a short essay to make sure you've taken in what you've read and that you understand it. Is that okay?" I nodded with a smile.

"You're asking me if it's okay? Aren't you meant to be the teacher?" I smiled at her genuinely and she smiled back.

"I'd rather you were comfortable with what we were doing. I want to go at your pace." I thanked her and curled up to get comfy.

"We'll read the first chapter together, then I'll assign you the paper okay?" I nodded and opened the book to the first page. I had to read it out loud, but in a low voice so I didn't disturb the band at the other side of the bus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone enjoying this so far? Anything you'd like to see in the story?