Secrets

Chapter One

I've been fucking around.

It started on a Friday night a few weeks ago. I left for the theatres and ended up at a club instead. I had a few drinks and ended up taking it up the ass from some hot guy I was dancing with.

I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to get some action.

I slept until 9:00 the next day. The guy- I don't even remember his name- gave me a ride to the club so I could drive the car home.

Michael was sleeping when I got there. He didn't know a fucking thing.

I go out every few nights now. It's exciting and fun and… Well, I'm getting sex again. Michael hasn't been in the mood for God knows how long.

He wakes up, goes to work, comes home, disappears into the guest room that he's made into his own personal office, and comes out a few hours later to sleep. That seems to be all he does.

I have no clue as to what he does in that room. It's always locked, whether he's in or out, and I've guessed every passcode combination that he could possibly have on that fucking thing.

And yet it remains a mystery.

We do see him. He has dinner with me and Emmalee every night except Wednesdays, when he has to work late shifts. He gets weekends off, other than the occasional short shifts on Saturdays. I think all of that work might be a part of why he acts so tired all of the time. He hasn't been eating much lately, and I wouldn't be surprised if whatever he's been doing in that room is somehow linked to it all.

But how would I know?

When I question him he just tells me that it's a "surprise." He says it's important and that I can't know about it yet.

I used to cry. All the time. I couldn't understand what was so important that he would just abandon us to work on some surprise. He's been working on whatever it is obsessively for three months. And when he's not working, sleeping, or hiding out, he's doesn't have enough energy to do much. When he hugs me, kisses me, tells me that he loves me… He holds something back. His eyes are filled with guilt whenever he looks at me, and whatever's causing that guilt might be what's causing him to avoid eye contact with me lately.

I'd put money on it having something to do with whatever's in that room.

But I just can't seem to really confront him. After a few weeks I toughened up a bit, and now instead of crying I drop to my hands and knees so random guys at clubs can pound me with all they've got.