Etudes & Arpegios: A Love Story

Chapter 3

Image

CHAPTER 3

I walked up the stairs of our dinky apartment. The hall light flickered as it had for the past 3 years I've lived in this dump.

I felt a tap at my shoulder and turned to see Andy. He lived in the apartment down the hall

"Hey Vi," he said breathlessly. His eyes were sunken in with blue and black circles surrounding them. His hands twitched as he fiddled with his zipper on his hoodie. He was a young kid, about 17. One of Tommy's "clients". Another life my ex had ruined. If it wasn't for Tommy he would probably still be in high school. I tried to save this kid, but Tommy beat me and told me never to mess with his "business" again.

"Do you know when Tommy will be home?" he asked. He kept looking around as if someone was coming for him, sweat dripping down his forhead even though it was freezing. The effects of heroin.

"I'm sorry Andy I don't," I replied sliding my key into the lock.

"Then can you get me some?" he asked looking behind me into the apartment, searching for some I'm sure. "No I can't. This is Tommys deal and you just have to wait for him." I really was sad for Andy. But he didn't listen to me the first or second time I tried to help.

"Go back to school," I said shutting the door in his face locking the handle, then then the deadbolt, and finally sliding the chain into place.

I quickly packed as much of my stuff as I would need and left him a note.

Your secret is safe with me,
leave me be.
-Violet

Hopefully he wouldn't come searching for me. I would never tell about him, hopefully I could get on with my life. I swung my bag over my shoulder and locked the door, sliding the key under. I took the elevator up 2 flights of stairs to apartment 6B. The only other none druggie, girlfriend of a businessman. Kiki. She was a beautiful girl, strong and smart. I had been helping her since the day she moved in. She was dating George, Tommy's partner and she just had a baby 7 months ago. She was so young, just turned 18. She had been with George since High School. He was 3 years older than her and made her drop out of school to move here with him. Her mother was heavily on drugs and her father had died when she was a little girl. So no one missed her. But I loved her with all my heart.

I knocked on the door. "Who is it?" I heard her call out in a weak voice.

"Hey babe it's me," I said leaning against the door. I heard a shuffle, and then the locks slide open. She opened the door and hugged me.

"What's up?" she asked stepping back, furrowing her eyebrows. "You don't look so good."

"I'm leaving." I whispered sitting down on the couch. I picked up baby Alesana. She was the apple of her mothers eye. WIth adorable chubby legs and a smile that could melt anyone's heart. Oddly she was the happiest baby I'd known.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I left Tommy and I'm getting out of this place. I'm gunna get a job and make somehting of myself." I told her, grabbing her hand.

I could tell this was a big impact. "I'm glad for you," she said a tear glinting in the corner of her eye.

"I'll come back for you." I said crying. I pulled her close to me and held tight. Baby Alesana cooed as if she had no idea what was going on. She wrapped her chubby hand in my hair and tried to stick it in her mouth. "You be good" I wispered kissing her forehead. She smelled so good, of baby shampoo. I walked to the door and handed the baby back to Ki Ki.

"Don't open this until I leave," I said, slipping a white envelope into her hand. "I love you." I said kissing her cheek "I'll be back for you."

"Bye I love you too," she said as the door closed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chaptuuuuh 3

Commentooos?

-x-