In the Middle of a Gun Fight

Chapter 1

"Have fun at sch-" I slamed the door before my mom could finish. I cussed to myself as I stomped to the sidewalk. Have fun at school, she says. Have fun? How is that even close to being possible? I wasn't a people person. I stayed to myself. Quiet as a mouse. Most people in my last school didn't even know I exsisted. Some thought I was mute. I'd be better off as a mute, anyway. Josey Steelman was my best and only friend. "Oh, Sam!" She cried, wrapping her arms around me. "I'm going to miss you so much!" I laughed, patting her back, feeling tears well up in my own eyes. "I'll call every day, I promise." I say later, I left in the moving van. From my home town of Springfield to L.A. was a massacre to the only thing that actually made me happy. I kept my promise. I called every day. After 6 months, though, Josey started to make the conversations shorter and shorter, until she didn't answer at all.

So, now I'm here. Alone. Lonely. Not that anyone would realize. My steps grew lighter as I saw the school come into sight. It was a big, brick building. Teenagers lined the walls, clumping together in a natural, routine way. I crossed the street, almost getting hit by a car. My cheeks grew red as I saw the man's mouth moving with his profanities. I waved in a sorry motion before walking past them. Them. They stared, and whispered, and laughed. I pulled the hair from behind my ear infront of my face, keeping my head down.

I walked through the doors, more people staring and laughing; some even pointed. I walked faster towards the office. I ran into someone, knocking me down. I looked up, face hot.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I heard him say.

He held out a caring hand, smiling slightly. I took it and he pulled me off the ground, also picking up my bag.

"Um.. Thanks..." I mumbled, sliding my bag back over my shoulder. He held his smile and I started wondering if he couldn't stop. He held out his hand once again.

"I'm Gerard. You must be new here?" I nodded, shaking his hand quickly, putting a piece of stray hair behind my ear.

"I'm Samantha." I said, quietly. He smiled wider, looking me over.

"You're quite shy." He noted, chuckling. I shrugged, nodding, agreeing. He shook his head and jolted as the bell rang.

"Well, Samantha. It was a plesure. See you 'round." He waved once before running down the hall, almost running into a guy with a football in hand. Gerard put his hands up in defense before running again. I tilted my head, astounded. Maybe this school wasn't going to be so bad after all...

"Samantha Reed?" My head snapped to the office. A man in a dark blue suit was standing in the doorway. He smiled, waving me in. I followed him into his office. It was very neat and organized... And kind of scary.

"Go ahead and sit down, Ms. Reed." He said, sitting in his own chair. I nodded awkwardly, sitting in the hard, wooden chair. He crossed his hands on his desk, looking at me, a welcoming smile on his lips.

"I'm Mr. Hale, the principle of this fine school," He motioned around as if to intensify how amazing it was. I nodded slowly, trying to make it seem like I agreed. He didn't believe me. He lowered his hands, opening a drawyer to a large filing cabnit, bringing back a half sheet of paper.

"These are your classes. 1st period starts in about-" He got cut off by the bell. "Now." He finished, handing the paper over to me. I took it, barely glancing at it. We both stood, walking to the door.

"Have a great first day!" He exclaimed as I walked out. I smiled half-heartedly, walking to room 107. French. I took a deep breath, dreading the rest of the day.