Hiding Behind Sweetness and Smiles

1/1

Walking down the street together hand in hand, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez were living in the moment. Despite that there were numerous others strolling along either side of the two teenagers, they were only noticing each others. Each was too absorbed into the other’s to notice anything. There had been a comfortable silence between the two for a few minutes before Selena decided to break it.

“You know,” she said in a light airy tone. “I really enjoy these walks we take together. The only thing that I can complain about is that they don’t last very long. It feels like as soon as we step out, we’re stepping back to where we started.”

Justin bit his bottom lip and walked closer to her. He thought about putting his arm around her, but something in the back of his mind told him not to. One hand was holding his leather jacket that he let her wear and the other was awkwardly dangling between the two. “I get what you’re saying. I just think that the places we’re walking to all have short routes.”

Selena giggled. “You have a funny way of thinking Justin.” Her thin vanilla creamed shawl blew in the wind along with her black hair. “The wind sure is picking up by the second.”

Justin decided to go on instinct with this one. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and kissed her neck. He felt her smile and a warm, proud feeling swelled in his chest. He held up the leather jacket in his left hand and put it up to her face. Selena smiled graciously but shook her head no. “Well, I’ll keep you warm,” Justin said serenely. “Just tell me if you need anything. Okay?”

“That’s a promise I can keep.” She held out her pinky for a pinky promise. Justin removed his arm from around her neck and held his hand up. He stuck his pinky out and they wrapped their small finger around each others. The promise seemed to signify more than just keeping each other warm. It seemed more like a promise to be together forever.

Justin reluctantly pulled away. Selena soon followed and he shot her a sheepish smile. “So, where do you want to go? We’ve been walking in the same path for a while now. I’ve been thinking that we should go to that new ice cream shop that just opened up. I’ve heard that it’s pretty good and I’ve seen it advertised on just about every lighting pole that we’ve passed.”

“Okay,” Selena agreed. “Now that you mention it, I’m in a mood for some good ice cream, especially a hot fudge sundae. Those are sweet.”

“Not as sweet as you,” Justin said with a spark in his dark brown eyes.

Selena blushed and gave a shy smile. “Aww Justin. You sure do know how to make a girl feel special.”

“I try.” He grabbed her hand that was next to her waist and took it into his own. He clamped his right hand over her smaller left one. The young couple continued walking and eventually made their way into a busy parking lot.

As any celebrity would get extra (and usually unwanted) attention, Justin and Selena picked up their pace. They didn’t want a huge fiasco of being caught together. It’s not that they were hiding their relationship from the public or their fans, it’s just that they didn’t want all the unnecessary fuss that came with it. They were about 500 feet away from the ice cream parlor when they were met with instant camera flashes and rapid talking.

Justin frowned and was about to say something when Selena gripped his hand harder. “It’s okay,” she whispered. “We’re almost there. Just ignore them.”

But every step they took, the paparazzi would randomly be in front of them. Cameras were taking too many pictures and there was even a video camera there, recording all of it.

Justin gritted his teeth and clenched his jaw. He wanted to confront the paparazzi and tell them what he really thought of them, but he didn’t want to publicly humiliate himself- or worse, look a bad guy in front of Selena. He held his head high and walked as if it was only him and his girlfriend.

Then they were there. Justin held the door open as Selena made her way through and he quickly followed. He quickly closed the door and let out a sigh of relief as he glanced over the shop. Besides the owner and worker, they were the only two customers. Before he could say anything, Selena had planted a kiss on his forehead.

Slightly caught off guard, Justin swayed in his spot for a second. “What was that for?” He asked. “Not that I’m complaining or anything,” he swiftly said.

“For being such a good guy out there. You’re great all the time and always so nice, but to me, you shined out there.”

“What do you mean? I was so mad out there. All the people were jerks and it was rubbing me the wrong way.”

“That’s exactly what I mean. I saw how mad you were. I felt how angry you were. Yet you managed to stay composed and calm. You have no clue how much I admire that.” Selena’s face radiated happiness and her eyes scintillated. “You’re amazing.”

Justin stared at her. His eyes had softened and so had his overall expression. He wrapped his arms around Selena’s waist and held them there closely. “You’re pretty amazing yourself.”