Concrete Castle

Not a Jerk

I sighed, leaning against the bench as I felt both physically and emotionally spent. I prepared four years for this with AP courses and advanced sciences, but I don't think anything could prepare you for your first week of college. It's just so...big...

My phone went off, signaling I had a text, I pulled it out to read it.

From: Baylee

Get your skinny butt over here, you're going to be late!


I rolled my eyes, getting up from the bench once again and picking up my bag. Baylee and I were working together at the McDonald's by our apartment. Not my choice job, but it was the only one I could get. I've already been working there a year and a half, I think I should just quit.

I threw my bag in the passenger seat beside me, getting in myself and stuck the key in the ignition. Twisting the key, the engine started right away. My dark blue junky Ford was actually going to be nice to me today.

As I pulled out, I realized that I had spoken too soon, I couldn't turn the wheel. I stopped the car, throwing my head back and cursing. The power steering was out.

This is what I get for getting the Ford. Originally, I had gotten it because it was the cheapest in the lot, but I realized soon enough that I should have saved 1,000 dollars more for the Chevy. I yanked on the hood release lever before exiting the car, a little angry not going to lie. I dialed Baylee's number, waiting for her to pick up.

“Dev!” She screeched, “Where are you, man?”

“My car's being a buttface, I'll probably be late, can you tell Mr. Boss Man?” I asked in my most pleading and pathetic voice.

“Yeah, but you should try to make it in today.”

“I will.” I said before we hung up. “Not.” I added under my breath.

Huffing, I pulled the hood up, peering around the space. I didn't know much about cars, so I didn't even know if the power steering line thing was under the hood. Frustrated, I slammed the hood down, cursing some more and kicking the front bumper.

“I don't think that's going to help much.” A raspy male voice chuckled.

“It's what I get for going with the Russian Dump.” I grumbled, pulling out my phone to dial a tow truck. Even though I was a student at ASU, I don't think they'd be too happy with me leaving my car here over the weekend.

“Russian dump?” John asked, eyebrows raised.

“It's this thing my dad used to say, Found On Russian Dump. F-O-R-D. Ford.” I explained shortly, while I waited for someone to answer at the business.

John laughed, and I had to admit even though I didn't want to, it was contagious. He was still laughing slightly as I started talking to the man on the other end, explaining that my power steering was out and I was stuck at the Arizona State campus south parking lot.

I was surprised that he hadn't sauntered away by the time I hung up. John was leaning against the piece of junk Ford, and smiling, sunglasses over his eyes. “Do you need something?” I asked less than civilly.

“Nope, but you do.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, eyebrows knitting together.

“How are you going to get back to your apartment?” He asked smartly, standing up now.

“It's only like three miles away, I can walk.” I explained, getting my bag from the passenger side, quickly making sure nothing had fallen out. I climbed in the back, getting my gym/work duffel bag and the random pieces of clothing and books. I had no idea how I was going to lug this all the way home, but I would have to.

“You know, you could leave all that in there. You're going to get your car back after they fix it.” John pointed out.

“And have some creep look through my clothes? Sniff my bra or something? Yeah, no thanks.” I declined, stuffing some of the textbooks in with my gym and work clothes, still on my knees in the back seat. “And I need these textbooks.”

“I could give you a ride.” He offered. Honestly, I was surprised. So surprised, I stopped what I was doing and looked over my shoulder at him, trying to detect any form of deceit. There was none, but still I narrowed my eyes.

“No, thanks.” I huffed, zipping up my duffel bag. “I'm fine.”

“I should have expected as much from you.” He sighed, jingling his keys in his hand.

I carefully crawled back out of the car, making sure not to his my head on the frame, I turned and looked at him, “What's that supposed to mean?”

“You have some weird aversion to guys or something, it's kind of annoying.”

“Oh, yeah, and what else do you know about me, or think you know about me, John?” I challenged.

“I know you have never kissed a guy, never gave anyone a chance.” He started to list, “I know that there must be a reason for that, I know you don't let anything get to you, no matter how terrible. I know a lot more than you think I do.”

“Just because I have standards on who I will and won't date, doesn't mean there's some reason behind that.”

“Is it because you're afraid of actually letting yourself feel something?” He asked, and I was getting angrier by the second. To this, I laughed. “Or did something happen when you were younger to make you so hateful of men?”

I stopped laughing. I turned back to my car and got my sunglasses and Dr. Pepper from the cup holder. I slipped on the glasses and sat on the hood of my car. “Did that strike a chord, Dev?” He teased arrogantly.

“Don't call me that. Only my friends can call me that.” I snapped.

He sat next to me, “Devon, I'm sorry,” He said sweetly, placing his hand on my thigh.

“God!” I exclaimed, slapping his hand off of me, standing up even more furious. I didn't believe he was sorry for one second, he just wanted to feel me up. “Can you just leave me alone?” I shouted, “I don't want your help, and I don't need it.”

John stood up again, just as I saw the tow truck pull into the lot. There were still quite a few cars in the lot, but he spotted us quickly and headed over. “At least let me call Kennedy, he'd be happy to take you back to your apartment.”

Sometimes, I hated that Baylee was dating his best friend, mainly because it often made John and I cross paths. “Fine. But I'm waiting for him here.” I reluctantly agreed. “Alone.” I added so he got it that I wanted him to leave me alone.

While John called Kennedy, I took care of business with the tow truck guy. After thanking him and watching him take away my car, I sighed and sat heavily on the curb of the now empty parking space. “He'll be here in twenty minutes.” John announced after snapping his phone shut.

“Okay.” I replied shortly, checking my watch. That would mean I would get home at seven. I wasn't even going to try and come into work anymore. Baylee could handle her own. To my dismay, John sat right next to me. I internally groaned and cussed him out.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Talk about what?” I wondered, pretending I didn't know.

“What happened when you were younger.” He elaborated.

“If you're expecting me to cry and break down and tell you some sob story, I'm not going to. It's in the past and I'm over it.” I rattled off, monotone. “Why do you even care?” I asked, turning my head to glare at him.

He shrugged, “I don't know, I though all girls talked about things...”

“Not this one.” I muttered under my breath. “You know what my biggest problem with you is, John?” I started, not waiting for him to reply before going on, “You think everyone likes you and will tell you anything you want, give you anything you want even. But that's not the case.”

“It's been working for me so far.” He smirked. I wanted to punch him, but I contained my urges and went on through clenched teeth.

“No one gets everything they want, John. You're going to learn that soon enough.” He was making my blood boil. There was just something about him...something that made me dislike him. Maybe it was because he was so self-assured.

And so was my father.

I shuddered suddenly, the thought of him always made me freeze. I blinked the picture from behind my eyelids. I didn't want to see that.

Instead of striking further conversation with John, I pulled out the textbook for my Criminology class, we all had to read the first two chapters over the weekend.

“Criminal Justice, huh?” John started conversationally. I ignored him and kept on reading. He scoffed at my response, or rather lack of, and picked at the hole in his jeans on his knee.

When Kennedy's beat up four door pulled into the lot noisily, I could hear the Hallelujah chorus. I stuffed the book back in my bag. John was up before me, opening the door to the passenger side.

And then sat down.

I felt my eye twitch rapidly. This boy was going to give me a complex. I sucked it up and got in the back. “How did you plan on giving me a ride, John, when you didn't even have one?” I asked.

He smiled my way as I buckled my seat belt, offering no other explanation.

“So, how are you, Dev?” Kennedy asked from the front, looking at me and my flustered face in amusement. He knew how much I disliked John.

“I've been better.” I replied honestly, “And I think you know the reason why.” I added, giving John a pointed glance, which he saw.

“Gah, just hold your horses, you have like two blocks, and then I'm out of your hair.” John sighed, sinking in his seat.

“Put your seat belt on.” I commanded, and he ignored me. “Fine, one day you're going to crash and die.”

“Yeah?” He asked, “Why do you care?” He mocked me from earlier.

I shrugged, looking out the window, “I don't.” I said simply, crossing my arms over my chest.

John was gone in a matter of minutes, and I could feel my headache slowly subsiding. “Why do you hate him so much?” Kennedy asked, “I don't think he's done anything terrible to you.”

“I don't know...he's just so...ughh!” I growled.

Kennedy chuckled, “I think it's fun watching you two.”

“I don't think it is, he gives me a headache.” I muttered as Kennedy pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex.

“Thanks so much, Kenny.” I opened the door, getting all my stuff from the car. “Even if your friend is a jerk, you're a pretty chill guy.”

“...Thanks?” Kennedy replied, trying to keep the smile off his face. “Hey!” He exclaimed as I started to shut the door, I leaned in, giving him my 'what's up' look, “Tell Bay I'll be over early tomorrow, I have a surprise for her.”

“Yeah? A little birthday bang?” I winked at him and his neck started flushing pink. Hey, just because I was a 'prude' doesn't mean I can't say dirty things. “Just make sure she's here by seven, I'm making her dinner. You're welcome to join.”

“Yeah, I'll be here. I love your cooking.”

“Bye, Kenny.” I smiled, shutting the door as he waved at me.

He waited until I went inside my apartment, waving at him as he pulled out. It was one of those outside apartments thing, not a building. He was such a gentleman, one of the ones that probably would have made it to a third date. But, I didn't even ask because I knew Baylee was so hung up on him.

Upon entering, I tripped over a pair of Baylee's shoes and kicked them to the side. She was such a slob sometimes. I rolled my eyes, throwing my book bag on the couch and continuing into my room to change into a pair of pink board shorts and a white thin tank top to accommodate the Arizona heat. I turned the air conditioner on, and stood in front of it.

It was just too hot, I don't care how long you've lived here, or whether it was a dry heat. 100 plus degree was just terrible. I sighed happily as the thin sheen of sweat on my skin disappeared. Once I had cooled down, I threw myself on the couch, turning on the television.

We couldn't afford cable, so we just had the local channel that should the weather and news. According to tomorrow's forecast, it would be 105 and sunny. Of course.

To the newscaster's monotone voice, I dozed off. After a long week of school, work, and dealing with John, I felt I needed it.

I already have to deal with him in my writing class, today after classes was just too much. I can only take so many minutes of him. Just one is enough.

I woke several hours later in a daze, wondering where Baylee was. And then I heard voices. I mumbled, rubbing my eyes and stumbling to the living room. Wait...I fell asleep on the couch. I probably walked to bed in my sleep, I tended to do that.

“What's going on?” I asked, voice thick with sleep. I looked around the room. Garrett, Kennedy, Pat, and Jared were sitting on the couch with Baylee, watching some movie's previews. I didn't have time to ask where John was before he came out of the kitchen area with a bowl of popcorn. “Nice outfit.” He commented with a smirk, shoving a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

I felt my cheeks flush slightly, but I didn't want him to know I was embarrassed he was seeing me in the least amount of clothes I have ever worn, instead, I sat on the floor by Garrett's legs after pressing play on the DVD player.

Baylee had always been obsessed with the Harry Potter series, ever since she read the book when it first came out, and that trend didn't change as we sat down and watched the first Harry Potter for the fifty billionth time ever.

I wasn't much of a fan, but I still knew every word to all the movies so far.

With the couch being taken up by the other five individuals, John and I were stuck sitting on the floor. A couple minutes into the movie, I got up to get a small fleece blanket and a pillow. “Does anyone want a blanket?” I asked as an after thought and went back to my room, grabbing the large comforter from my bed and a couple more blankets.

Handing Baylee her blanket and seeing it spread on the occupants of the couch, I curled up on the floor with my blanket, throwing the small fleece one to John. “Batman?” He asked, looking at the fabric and seeing the cartoon.

“Heck yes, Batman.” I replied.

“Why is it always so cold in here?” Jared muttered, moving around to get comfortable.

“Because it's so hot outside.” I answered simply, letting out a big yawn. Balling up a part of the blanket to put under my head, I laid down on the plush carpet. Still feeling like I could still sleep for a million years, I was out before Harry was even put into Gryffindor.

I woke up as the sun started to shine through the open window, my head elevated, and a warm current running from my hip up my body. I blinked a few times, trying to process what was going on. It was then that I realized my head was on John's lap, his back leaning against the couch where three of the five originally on the couch still there, sleeping. And John's hand rested on the bare skin of my hip, may tank top having rode up in the night.

I pulled quickly away, and John stirred, his eyes fluttering open and then closing quickly. He rubbed his face, “What time is it?” He groaned.

“I don't know.” I fixed my top and stood up quickly, gathering my blanket up in a huff and heading towards my own room, pausing by Baylee's where her and Kennedy most likely were. I wonder if they saw John and I like that.

There was muffled noises coming from the door, and I didn't want to know what they were up to, so I went into my own bedroom, going to get dressed to go jogging.

-Baylee-

“Kenny, that's totally not going to happen.” I giggled, pulling out some clothes from the closet, “They hate each other.”

“Oh, it will, sweets.” He laughed, leaning against the headboard of my bed, hands tucked behind his head, “Just you wait.”

“Oh yeah, you wanna bet?” I said defiantly, hands on my hips as I turned towards him. Kennedy's eyebrows rose.

“Yeah?” He leaned forward once again. “What are the conditions?”

I tapped my chin thoughtfully. “Okay. John has to get Devon to go on a third date with him.” I stated.

“That's it?” Kennedy asked, surprised. “That seems too easy.”

“It's Devon.” I reminded him, “She's never gone on more than two dates with anyone.”

“Okay, how about he had to get her to kiss him.” Kennedy bargained.

“Fine. But it can't be influenced by alcohol, and he can't trick her into it.” I nodded, pulling out a pair of black skinny jeans and a white muscle shirt to wear today.

“Okay, so, what do I get if it does happen and I win the bet?” Kennedy asked, expectant.

“Hmmmm...” I hummed. “A super special date with me.” I smirked, giving him a seductive look.

“Oh, really?” His mouth tilted on one side, his eyes lighting up. “Sounds like a fair deal.”

“But, it's not going to happen. Dev despises John.”

“Can I tell John, he'd be into this.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

Instead of walking out of the room to talk to his friend, Kennedy opened the door and shouted to him. “Kenny!” I whacked him with the loose articles of clothing I hand in my hand. “They're sleeping!”

“Naw, Devon snapped at me and went back to her bed.” John said, rubbing his eyes while entering the room. “What's her problem anyway?”

“Well, last I saw, your hand was riding up her stomach, so she probably wasn't too happy about that.” I replied, a smirk on my face.

“Johno, we have a proposition for you.” Ken began, sitting back on my bed. “You see, Baylee here doesn't believe your charm can work on Devon.” Kennedy began and John's eyes flickered to me, “I, of course, am defending you, and say that you can, in fact, get to a third date with Devon.”

“What are you saying?” John asked, tilting his head forward.

“To settle this, we need you to try and seduce Devon, the un-seduce-able.” I stated straight up.

“Seduce?” John's eyebrows rose.

“All you need to do is get her to kiss you, get to the third date.” Kennedy listed. “But, no clever trickery or alcohol.”

“And, you.” John pointed to me, “Think I can't do it?” He asked. I nodded my head.

“I bet you can't do it. If she rejects you, I get fifty bucks from you, but if I lose and she actually goes out with you, I'll give you the fifty bucks.” I reasoned. “Fair?”

John gave a crooked smile, confident in his womanizing abilities, and suddenly, I kind of got where Devon was coming from. It didn't matter, when he stuck out his hand to shake on the deal, I took it anyway. “Deal.” We both said.

All I cared about was getting my friend to loosen up a little, that's all. She was too tense.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, because I'm dong a TON of new things with this story (actually, I'm really not) I made a set of her clothes.
:)
Devon's outfits.

And, I don't know how often I'll be updating this, since right now I'm kind of flying from the seat of my pants...
But, you know, I'll get it eventually...

Fun Fact: I got the idea for this story from a book I read forever and a day ago. It's totally different but the whole concept of 'getting to the third date' is from the book.

Fun Fact #2: The chapters are all things Devon is looking for in a 'significant other' And, that list comes in to play later on in the story.

Hope you liked the first chapter.
<3 Sara Michelle.