Concrete Castle

Regards Feelings

I sat in front of the fire, watching it flicker and burn. Everyone else was playing some night games in the water. I was too sick of swimming at the moment, plus it was getting cold. Normally, I love swimming when the water is cold, but when the air is cold too, it's just too much.

“Hey, loner.” Garrett sounded, poking my side.

“Hey, yourself.” I muttered as he sat down next to me.

“Everything okay?” He asked, picking up a stick and prodding the fire with it, mixing up the ashes.

“Yeah, just...tired I guess.”

“You haven't been sleeping much, have you?” Garrett asked, keeping his eyes from mine.

“Not really.” I answered truthfully. Really, it wasn't anything I should have to hide. But...if he asked me why...

“Why?” He asked. I sighed, closing my eyes from a brief moment.

I shrugged, “It's just been one of those weeks.”

“Oh, yeah.” Garrett nodded, “I know what you mean.”

Yet, he really didn't.

“So,” Garrett continued after a few seconds of silence, “Baylee seems pretty excited that you're going out with John on Tuesday.”

“Yeah, she tends to do that with every guy I agree to go on a date with. She thinks, for some reason, that that guy will break the pattern.” I rolled my eyes.

“So, you're saying he's not going to make it either?” Garrett asked, a strange note in his voice that I couldn't quite place.

“Probably not. It's John.” I laughed.

“Then why did you agree to do it?”

“I don't know.” I shrugged, “He just told me he has liked me for a while...and...I figured I'd give him a chance, you know?”

“Oh.” Garrett grunted and I could see the gears turning in his head, trying to figure something out.

“Something wrong?” I asked, giving him a weird look.

Garrett shook his head, “It's nothing.” But he still looked a little troubled. “Well, I'll leave you to staring at the fire then, I hear a game of night volleyball calling my name.”

“Somehow, that sounds really dangerous.” I laughed and waved while he went.

Garrett

Something wasn't right here. John never mentioned having liked Devon, and he would have to me. I'm his best friend. Well, one of them anyway. Point is, he never mentioned a thing about liking Devon before now.

I guess it could be that he just kept it a secret but...it is John we're talking about.

He's a womanizer. One, he wouldn't have not said anything to Devon and two, he definitely would have told someone about it. Most likely everyone.

Then again, why would he lie? So he could go on a date with her? But why did he want that? As far as I knew, he still hated Devon.

The next day we were headed back, Baylee and Devon were in Devon's car with Kenny and the tents, leaving the rest of us in Kenny's truck with the rest of the camping stuff. With John and I in the back, I thought this a perfect opportunity to confront him about the whole Devon thing.

“So, John, why'd you really ask Devon out?”

“What?” He asked like he didn't know what I was talking about.

“Devon said you told her that you had liked her for a while, but we all know that's not true. In fact, I'm pretty sure you hate her guts.” I said.

“Yeah, man. What's the deal?” Pat asked.

“Nothing is 'the deal'. I just wanted to go on a date with her.” John shrugged nonchalantly.

“I don't believe that for on moment, John.” I said to John, looking at him in the eye.

He shifted in his seat, not uncomfortable but...caught. “I have...a bet.” He started. “With Kenny and Baylee.”

“A bet concerning Devon?”

“Yeah, if I can get her to date me seriously, I win.”

“John, I don't think that's a smart idea.” I put in, “She's bound to find out at some point. And, when that happens, are you going to be able to deal with the consequences?”

“So what, she'll go on a few dates with me, I'll break it off, and she'll never have to know.” John waved it off like it was only that simple.

I pulled my eyebrows together, mouth turned down at the corners at his nonchalant attitude. This wasn't going to be that easy, I'm afraid.

But, I didn't say anything as we rode the rest of the way back to Tempe.
♠ ♠ ♠
O.O
IT'S BEEN OVER A MONTH!?!?!?!
I'M SO SORRY!!!

I feel like a cotton headed ninny muggins.

Anyway, it's really short. But, I figured you'd be happy with the two pages that I wrote instead of nothing at all.
Plus, the next part I can think of doing is the date, and I didn't want to have a time skip that big in the chapter.

And, I know I shouldn't be making excuses, because there are many other people who have way more things to do that I did, but I can't manage time well...
I had a bunch of end of the year exams to study for to pass classes and get credit for all the AP classes that I took, as well as keep up with my social and church life.
O.O
Sorry, my internet life just isn't that important.

The main reason is, I haven't really had any motivation to write this story...
I'M SO SORRY!
I've been working on my 'Stars' sequel, and that's making me really sad...
Does anyone read 'When I Look at the Stars, I Feel Like Myself'?
If not, you should. :)

Be excellent to each other,
<3 Sara Michelle