Concrete Castle

Loves His Family

-Devon-

I was actually a bit nervous to go on this date with John. Things have been...different, lately. We haven't snapped at each other. But, then again, we haven't really talked since he asked me out, either.

I smoothed my hands out on my capris again as I sat on the couch, waiting for John. Not even a minute later, there was a knock on the door. I was glad Baylee was always attached to Kennedy and she wasn't here at the moment to comment.

“Hey.” I greeted to John when I opened the door.

“Hey. You look great.” John complimented, which was a little odd from him, but I accepted it and started towards his car with him.

“So, where are we going?” I asked, looking at his usual baggy shirt and tight pants. He really needs a new style. Honestly, I can't stand it. But, hey, it's personality that people go for, right?

And who even said I was going to formally date him?

“I was thinking mini-golf.” John opened my door for me, “But, if you're not into that we could do something else...”

“I haven't gone mini-golfing since I was about ten.” I mentioned, flashing back to my father helping me swing the golf club so I got a hole in one.

John hesitated with closing the door, then went around the car and sat down in his seat, “We...don't have to go, then.”

“No, it's fine. I like mini-golf.” I smiled. Then it was quiet.

Really quiet.

I flipped on the radio, letting some crappy pop song make some noise. John laughed a little, “I guess when we're not fighting, we have nothing to talk about.”

“I was thinking the same thing, actually.” I agreed.

“So, insult me.”

“What are you talking about? I'm not going to insult you on command, are you insane?”

John chuckled, shaking his head, “You diss me without even realizing, you know?”

“Well, you're such an easy target.” I shrugged. It true, being mean to him just came natural. So...if he liked me, then he would have had to have liked the name calling and sometimes slapping...

Masochist?

I shuddered at the thought.

“Well, it's a good thing I didn't chose to go someplace far. This car ride would have gotten awkward.” John smiled, laughing a little. The mini golf course he had parked in front of was the same one my dad would take me to every other week even though we passed at least two others on the way.

I tried to control the images flashing through my head. I didn't want to remember. But, as weird as it sounded to me, I didn't want to tell John I didn't want to come here. Because he had obviously worked hard to come up with something somewhat original for our date.

I mean, none of the other guys that I dated ever took my mini-golfing, it was always to the movies where they hoped to make out with me.

Yeah, didn't happen.

“They sell some pretty good lemonade and like hot dogs and stuff at the concessions here, do you want to grab some of that before we start a game?”

“Sure. They have really yummy corn dogs.” I smiled.

We ordered and sat down at a little picnic table. “So, I know you're kind of touchy with this for some reason, but have you been sleeping okay? There are dark circles under your eyes again.”

Honestly, I haven't slept since around the campfire with John. “Yeah, just studying for a really big test I have tomorrow.” I lied.

“If you don't get proper rest, you won't do good on it anyway.”

He had a point. Not that I was going to admit it...

“Oh, I'll be fine. I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself.”

“I don't doubt you.” John nodded, “You're tough, probably more so than I am. You'll be okay.”

Something fluttered in my stomach, probably because this is really the first proper meal I've had in a while. It was most certainly not because of John's words. I swallowed a gulp of the lemonade, “So, how are you doing in your classes?”

“They suck.” John groaned. Inadvertently, I giggled which caused John the peer at me curiously, “What?”

“That is just so...you.” I explained, “You really don't do well with school work, do you?”

“I'm going to drop out at the end of the semester.”

“What? Why?”

“I really think the band it going to get picked up. I mean, I know everyone says that...but it really feels like a possibility. You know?”

“Yeah. I like you guys, and that's saying something. I don't like all this crappy music coming out nowadays...”

“So, then, what do you like?”

“Older stuff. Like Tom Petty, Bryan Adams, Don Henely. Some relatively new stuff as well like Death Cab For Cutie and The Hush Sound.”

“Hmmm...interesting. We're musical soul mates.” John mentioned.

“That's...an odd way to put it.” I pulled my eyebrows together in confusion. “But...if you like all the same stuff, then...sure. We're musical soul mates.” I joked, laughing.

“What's your favorite Tom Petty song?” John asked, finished with his hot dog and attempting to hold a conversation while I ate the cornbread that I picked off the hot dog underneath. “By the way, you eat corn dogs weird.”

“Shut up, I'll eat them however I please.” I stuck my nose in the air in mock defiance, “But...I think I like either...'Waiting' or 'Listen to Her Heart'...But there are so many...” I answered.

“No 'Free Fallin'?” John teased.

“Everyone likes that song. It's a good song, yes, but not one of the best. What about you, what's your favorite Tom Petty song?”

“I really like 'Waiting' a lot. But that was your answer...so I have to think of something else. I'll go with 'Walls'.”

“It's okay if we like the same song...” I told him.

“Oh...really?”

“Yes!” I burst, laughing, “You're such a dork, you know that?”

“Believe it or not, you're not the first person to have told me that.”

“Oh, really? I never would have guessed.” I joked sarcastically. “Even the losers get lucky sometimes.” I quoted, smirking.

“Are you hinting at something, Daisy?” He smirked back.

“All I'm saying is you're lucky I'm in a semi-good mood right now.” I smiled.

“It must be the lemonade. Do bitter things make you happy?”

“This is more sweet than bitter.” I mentioned, “But, bitter is always better.”

“Okay, this conversation just turned weird.” John looked confused.

“Yeah. Do you want to golf before we start on something equally weird?”

“Yes, let's.”

John insisted on paying for the games and afterward led me to the first hole. “Shhhh.” I shushed John as we made it to the second hole. I pointed up at the speaker system wired through the whole park. “Tom Petty.” I smiled.

“Learning to Fly.” John nodded in approval. “Funny since we were just talking about him.”

“You know, my dad brought me down here all the time when I was young, and they played music like this. Maybe that's why I like Tom Petty so much...” I mentioned without realizing.

“That's rare.” John said thoughtfully.

“What? For a little kid to like Tom Petty?” I raised an eyebrow.

“No. For you to talk about your dad. Or your mom.”

I blinked, “Oh...right. Sorry.” I mumbled, concentrating on the hole.

“Don't be sorry.” John whispered low enough so I almost didn't hear him. “What was he like...your dad?”

I almost didn't want to answer, but, I was feeling the pain constantly this week anyway, so I might as well add to it some. “He was the best. I was definitely a daddy's girl. I loved him a whole lot.”

“I see.” John said when I didn't give out any more information than that. I might be feeling generous, but I wasn't going to spill my whole life story to John, of all people.

Even trained professionals haven't succeeded in that.

“What about your family?” I asked. “Do you have any siblings?”

God, I can't believe we're talking about such standard matters when we've known each other since middle school. We were too busy ripping out each others throats to pay attention.

As John started to talk about his family, I started to feel rather lonely...

But he loved his family, I could tell. And, when you loved your family, you were a better person.
♠ ♠ ♠
I AM POSITIVELY THE WORST!!!!
I'm so sorry, guys!
I let another month pass by (almost, anyway).
GOMEN-NA-SAI!!!

Devon's date outfit

In other news, I saw The Maine last night.
It was awesome.
John makes funny faces when he sings.
Teehee. They're adorable.