Concrete Castle

I'll Keep You Safe Tonight

I came out of the bathroom, running a towel through my hair after my shower. John had made himself comfortable on his bed, watching some late night cartoon show. I sat on the other bed, watching the cartoon blankly.

Now that it was getting closer to night time, I almost feared going to bed. I didn’t want to have nightmares again. Shutting off the television, John yawned widely and stretched his arms above his head. “I’m tired. The beach wears you out.” He smiled lazily at me.

“Yeah.” I muttered, distracted. I hadn’t even really heard what he said.

“You okay?” He asked. I finally looked at him, giving him half a smile. “I’m going to turn off the light now, if you’re not going to talk to me.” He motioned to the lamp on the nightstand between the two beds. I sat for a couple minutes after it went dark, before standing.

“Daisy?” He muttered, already half asleep. “What are you doing?” He asked with good reason seeing as how I was now on his rightful bed. In the faint moonlight shining in from the window, I could see John’s concern.

“I’m scared.” I whispered, lying down next to him. Almost reflexively, it seemed, John’s arms went around me.

“Of what, Devon?” He stroked my hair comfortingly.

“Of what I’ll see when I close my eyes and fall asleep.” Showing this much weakness was all new to me, and to John nonetheless. Something’s happening to me. Maybe getting away from Arizona wasn’t the best idea. It made me do dumb things, things I wouldn’t normally do.

“I’ll protect you from the nightmares.” He promised.

I snorted with disbelieving laughter, “Sorry, but I’m not a little kid, John. I’m not going to fall for that.”

Then, he did something I totally didn’t expect.

John’s lips hit my forehead in a gentle kiss. My eyes grew wide, and my pulse quickened. It lingered a few moments longer than any forehead kiss I’ve ever seen, before he pulled back. “W-what was that for?” I stuttered, still in shock.

“Comfort.” He whispered softly to me. His green eyes bore into my dull grey ones. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat before it could get the best of me and buried my face into John’s chest. God, why was he doing this to me? I always swore to myself that I wouldn’t let anyone get to me like he was at this moment.

Not after what happened.

“Dad always promised to protect me from the nightmares, too.” I choked out. “But now he’s one of them.” I could feel John’s hand tighten into fist at the back of my shirt.

“I’m not your father, Devon.” I felt the muscles in his throat work on the top of my head. “I’ll keep you safe tonight.”

My heart ached, but not the usual ache. This was a numb feeling, the feeling of disbelief. No matter what, I just couldn’t believe him. “I really wish you could, John.”

“I won’t lie to you, Devon. I’d never lie to you.” I placed my arms around John.

John’s phone started going off, breaking us from the haze surrounding the room. “It’s probably one of the guys…again. I’m sure if you turned on your phone Baylee would be freaking out.” John sighed, running his hand through his hair.

“Yeah.” I laughed nervously as reality came crashing back around me. “We left without telling anyone, huh? It’s only natural.” I sat up as John answered his phone for the first time today. Feeling foolish, I went back on the bed opposite of John and turned my back to him as he explained to whoever was on the other line.

“No, Kenny, we’re not getting hitched.” John laughed at whatever Kennedy had said, “We just made a spontaneous trip to the beach.” There was another short pause as Kenny commented once again, “San Francisco.” John answered.

There were more pauses and finally John said, “I know what it means, Ken. Well, if it happens, you’ll be the first one I tell.” John’s words made my brow crinkle with confusion. “We’ll be back in a week, bye.” He said quickly then shut his phone with a click.

Oddly, I felt John’s eyes on me, and heard him sigh. “Good night, Daisy.” He mumbled and the sheets rustled as he settled back in bed. I closed my eyes, keeping my emotions in check. I wanted to badly to go back over there and curl up with John. But, that would only complicate things unnecessarily. We were good as it was, and I wasn’t going to mess that up.

Not like I’ve messed everything else up in my life.

Once I was sure John was asleep, I turned around to look at him. I hadn’t been kind enough to him before, and I really regretted that now. He was a great man, and even though he was a little cocky and showy at times, it didn’t make him a bad person. It just made him….him.

Before I knew it, I was opening my eyes to bright sunshine. I sat up in bed, stretching out my arms. “Good morning, John. I’m surprised you’re up before I am.” I smiled.

“I actually do get up at decent times, you know.” John grabbed his keys. “I’m going to go get some coffee, you want like a muffin or something, too?”

“Yeah, poppyseed is my favorite, but if they don’t have that then banana nut.” I answered, slurring my words a little.

John nodded, “That’s my favorite muffin, too.” He seemed happy to have something else in common with me. This whole thing is a learning experience.

John and I could get along. Which, some would consider a miracle, and…I couldn’t stay in Arizona. It’s bad for me. As much as I wanted to leave, I couldn’t. It was just a pipe dream. I had school, Charlie…I had responsibilities there.

I couldn’t drop them. I have no choice but to go back to Arizona.

-Baylee-

I paced back and forth in the apartment, trying once again to get something other than Devon’s voicemail. If I don’t get news on her, I’m calling the cops. Not to mention, John was missing as well.

“Relax, Bay.” Kennedy chuckled, coming into my apartment unannounced, “She’s with John.”

“Where?” I exclaimed, “And why isn’t she answering her stupid phone?” I closed my own, tossing it on the couch.

“San Francisco.” Kenny shrugged.

“They went to California?” I squealed, shock moving its way quickly through my system. “Devon and John went to California….together? Why on earth would they do something like that?”

“I don’t know, but it’s a good opportunity for some bet winning, if you know what I mean.” Kenny chuckled.

“No, it’s not going to happen. Not so soon. Devon still despises the guy!”

“Then why’d the run away to California?”

“Did they say when they’d be back?” I asked, working out the reason in my head.

“In a week.” Kennedy answered.

Yeah, I knew it. Devon was only running from the anniversary. Hopefully, Devon will finally open up to someone. I don’t even care if it is John when I’ve been with her for so long, because she needs to tell someone.

She needs this.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. Many. Updates.
Love me.
:)

Anyway, things get a little serious in this chapter...
Actually, this whole story is serious.
I need to stop writing serious stories....
Oh well, you guys seem to like it.

There's more seriousness next chapter.
You'll definitely go nuts for it.

Probably won't update for a couple days, I'm going down to Moab tomorrow and Wednesday...but after all the breaks I've had, what's a couple days?
In fact, I should probably get to bed soon because we're leaving early.
But I'm working on the next chapter.
Can you blame me?

<3 Sara Michelle