Concrete Castle

Gentleman

-Devon-

When I got back from jogging, I took a shower. Everyone had long since cleared out of the apartment, leaving me in the silence. I didn't mind, I needed the time like this to just relax. I sat down on the couch with a bowl of cereal dressed in the bare minimum once again and enjoyed the news. I considered putting in a disk of Supernatural, but I needed to start on homework.

Sighing, I sat down on the couch with my workload, starting on my writing prompt first. But, I couldn't concentrate. It happened a lot on nice days like this. Sure, it was hotter than heck, but it was still so bright and sunshine-y. I gazed out the window, thinking about the pool in the apartments. It was hardly used, because the residents of this particular building were mostly elderly even though it was so close to the college campus, but it was still maintained quite diligently.

I thought a few more minutes, and finally gave in. It was getting to be around noon already, and I didn't have anything better to do until around six when I had to start on Baylee's dinner. I knew Kenny would probably bring the rest of the guys, so I had gone to the store yesterday during my lunch break to pick up some steaks and potatoes.

Before getting on my bikini, I chopped and washed the potatoes, getting out a large stock pot to boil them in for potato salad, another one of her favorites. Since I didn't have much money, it was all I could do for her. Me cooking was rare, and Baylee always said that everything I made was like sex would taste like if you could eat it.

Yeah, I didn't need that comparison.

While I was at it, I put Worcestershire and soy sauce in a large mixing bowl, sprinkling onion and garlic seasoning in it. As one of my secret ingredients, I took one of my Dr. Pepper's from the fridge and poured in half the can. After doing so and mixing it, I unwrapped the steaks and put them in the bowl to marinate.

After covering the bowl and putting it in the fridge, I changed into my red bikini and grabbed a towel and my iHome with connected iPod. I put a note on the front of the door saying I was at the back. Mainly, I did it for Mrs. Peterson next door. She always came around randomly for me to take her Corgi, Buttercup, on a walk.

She even paid me a dollar every time I did so.

I smiled, throwing the towel over my shoulder and making my way to the pool lazily. I hooked up my iHome to the outside outlet and turned it on, Death Cab For Cutie spilling from the speakers. Going through my artist, I landed on and selected Billy Joel. Needless to say, I was getting to be in a better mood than this morning when I woke up to John basically harassing me. I tested the water with my toe, feeling how cold it was. Freezing, just the way I like it.

I lowered myself into the water, letting it loosen my tight muscles. I always stressed over things too much, like having enough money to pay our bills and keep fed, but we managed. Sure, every once in a while we would have to beg Baylee's mom for some money, but we did okay despite all of that.

I don't know why I still called her 'Baylee's mom' or referred to her parents as hers, they've raised me ever since my mom died when I was eleven, and my dad went to jail. And even before that, I was always at her house. We were practically sisters.

I sucked in a deep breath, going under and swimming to the other side of the pool. I needed this bit of relaxation.

After resurfacing, I pushed off the side, floating on my back. I was never the best floater, to be honest, but I somehow manage.

Closing my eyes, I let my skin soak up all the vitamin D it could handle, the muffled sounds of Billy Joel's smooth voice and piano making my muscles relax. There was nothing better than this.

“Jesus!” Someone hissed, I snapped up, looking around. “This water is so cold!” Garrett complained, shivering already.

“Gary, what are you doing here?” I asked, smile playing on my lips. It wasn't until Billy Joel was switched to Ivory that I realized he wasn't alone. “John.” I said shortly. Well, there goes my day.

“We wanted to come hang with our favorite girly.” Garrett replied, trying to get used to the cold water by dunking under.

“Uh-huh.” I nodded doubtfully, “And who might that be?”

“You silly!” He wrapped his thin arms around my waist and gave me a noogie. I struggled free from his grip, smoothing back down my hair.

“Where are Pat and Jared?” I asked, looking around.

“They were stopped by your neighbor and coaxed into walking her dog.” Garrett replied while John messed with the music still.

“Pick a song and keep it on!” I scolded John, shooting him another glare as he changed the song once again a minute into it.

“Sorr-ry.” John emphasized, muttering under his breath.

“So, you just decided to jump in the pool with...” I looked down in the water, “Your shorts on?”

Garrett shrugged, “It's hot out.”

“But, apparently, the water is too cold.” I smiled. “You're hard to please, Gar-bear.” I smiled.

“Yup, that's me. Difficult to the extreme.”

“Well, do you want to go somewhere else? I don't have to swim.”

“I actually like seeing you in your bathing suit.” John mentioned from his chair. His eyes were covered by his sunglasses, hands behind his head, stretched out in one of the white foldouts. I ignored him, instead focusing on Garrett.

“Naw, we can swim...I'm almost used to it.” Garrett shrugged, walking over to the deepest end and dunking under.

“Why don't you join us, John?” I called. If he was here, I'd feel more comfortable if he weren't staring at me from the chair.

“No, thanks!” He replied, shifting into a more comfortable position on the chair.

“Can you at least help me out so I can get a towel and some sun block for Garret from the house?” I asked sweetly, knowing what I wanted to do.

John sighed heavily, getting up from the chair. I was a little surprised that this was actually working as planned. He stood at the side of the pool, leaning down for my hand. I grabbed a hold of it, bracing my feet on the side of the pool...

And yanked down on his hand.

A look of shock and understanding flashed across his face before he landed in the pool, sunglasses and all. The splash he made hit me in the face as I started laughing triumphantly. John resurfaced, sputtering curses, his sunglasses floating elsewhere in the pool. “Great, Devon, just great. Now my wallet and everything in it is soaked.” He grumbled, yanking the black folded square from his pocket and slamming it down on the side of the pool.

“Awwww.” I cooed, but couldn't keep the laughter from interrupting me, “You poor baby.” I patted his now soaked hair, covering my mouth.

He turned to me, reaching out. I let out a squeal just in time for him to dunk me under the water, pulling me up again. He held me under the armpits and above his head. “What are you doing John?” I squirmed, laughing a little bit still.

Then he tossed me away from him, and I landed with a splat in the water. I came up spitting out water just like John had. “You're mean!” I whined, pouting.

“You got me all wet!” He shot back, climbing out of the pool. I stuck my tongue out at him defiantly, turning back to Garrett. “What?” I asked to his open mouth.

“You and John...were actually getting along...” He said as if he didn't believe it.

“You tell anyone else, I will firmly deny it.” I stated, “And if you call that getting along, I'd hate to see what you'd call torturing each other.”

“Sure, sure.” Garrett let out lazily, not believing me. I rolled my eyes and looked again at John, who had taken off his shirt and was wringing it out. My mouth suddenly went dry, and I let my eyes roam over his fit, but really thin body. I went towards the stairs.

“I'm going to get you guys some towels...” I said, needing to get away from John and his half naked body. He is attractive, that's all I'll admit.

I passed Pat and Jared on the way back into my apartment, “Hey, do you guys need towels? And sunblock maybe?” I asked, looking directly at Jared.

“Yeah, that would be great.” Pat nodded. “And, my girlfriend is coming over for dinner, do you have enough food?”

I cursed loudly, remembering I had food on the stove. “Yeah! That's fine!” I shouted while running into the apartment. The potato pot was boiling over underneath the lid. I quickly turned off the electric burning, pulling the pan off the burner.

In slight panic mode, I lifted the top off, trying to look while avoiding the steam. Still in my dripping bikini, I moved around the kitchen, Jared and Pat standing awkwardly in the doorway, wondering if there was anything they could do for me.

I threw the sieve in the sink and drained the potatoes, thankful that it wasn't burnt too badly. I blame John for distracting me. But, if I was being honest, I wouldn't have remembered if I didn't have to get everyone towels. I'm kind of air headed like that.

I sighed, putting the potatoes back in a big bowl to cool them before I make anything else. I made the hard boiled eggs yesterday morning, so I didn't have to worry about those. And, the rest of the stuff I didn't need to start for another five hours. Five hours I would spend outside.

I grabbed the towels, sunblock, and some tanning lotion before slipping my sunglasses on and heading back out.

John was still shirtless, letting it dry out in the hot sun. What a baby. I threw a towel in his direction and left the others out for the rest of the boys, diving back into the deep end of the pool.

By the time six o'clock rolled around, I had gotten a nice tan and my eyes were burning from the chlorine in the water. Poor Jared was sunburned ever though we applied sunblock every hour and a half like the bottle says to. There is no hope for gingers. John and Garrett were cursed with sunburned backs because they didn't let me put sunblock on them, and no one else would do it.

John deserved it, sure, but not cute little Garrett.

“I think I have some aloe...” I said as we entered the house again, and I started shivering due to the cold apartment and the water dripping from me. “I'll grab it real quick after I change.” I said, closing the door to my room.

Throwing my messy hair into a ponytail, I threw the aloe at Jared and went to work in the kitchen. “Do you need any help?” John asked from the doorway of the kitchen.

I looked over at him, trying to sum him up. Why was he asking? “Uhhh, yeah.” I nodded, realizing he was waiting for an answer. “Can you peel the hard boiled eggs in the fridge? They're in the container with the big HB on it.” I explained, turning back to the steaks.

“What did you put those in?” He asked, looking down at the black mixture.

I put my finger to my lips, “Shhhh, it's a secret.” I whispered, digging them out of the large bowl and onto a plate. “My mother's old recipe.” I slipped, and paused momentarily. John grabbed the carton of eggs and followed me out to the back by the pool where I had my grill set up. I was glad he didn't notice the sudden falter in my steps.

“Can you press play on the iHome?” I asked, lighting the gas grill, trying the apron on my thin frame. I had changed into a yellow, pink, and white layered tank top and black cuffed shorts that went to my knees. He did as I asked and The Hush Sound filled the pool area, hopefully disturbing none of the old people living in the building. But, I was out here all the time with this and they never complained.

Humming and trying to forget about the thorn in my side peeling eggs at the patio table, I started cooking the steaks. Garrett came out a few moments later with all the stuff I needed to make my potato salad. “Thanks, buddy!” I smiled.

“Do you regularly make food outside?” He asked, standing in the shade to avoid the sun.

“Why waste a good day outside?” I shrugged. I hadn't liked being inside all that much since I was eleven and mom died right in front of me in our house. Ever since then, being in a house for too long always made me feel like I was suffocating.

Especially when, in just two weeks, it would be seven years to the day that it happened. Another chill went down my spine, that means the nightmares would be starting again.

Eight years, and I still wasn't over it. How pathetic.

Going in between the steaks and potato salad, which John was helping me stir, I got the food done rather quickly for Baylee's birthday. It was strange, the thought of having to thank John.

“John, tha--” I had gotten out before there was a screech and I knew Baylee was home when she came running towards me.

“I love your steaks!” She hopped on my back and I stumbled to balance her. “You still have to tell me what's in them!”

“No, I don't. That's why it's called a secret recipe.” I replied smartly.

“But I want to know!!” She whined. “Please? It's my birthday...”

“You can't play the birthday card, I made you the steaks!” I laughed.

“But—but!” She stuttered.

“Alright, Bay, calm down.” Kennedy chuckled while lifting her off my back and setting her down so I could get the steaks off the grill, setting them down next to the rest of the food that I had made.

We all sat down to eat, and I got a chance to meet Pat's girlfriend for the first time. She wasn't shy at all, and she was very random. Just how I like my people.

“Seriously, Dev, I say you ditch school and just start your own catering business.” Garrett mentioned, already on his second helping of potato salad. “This is...” He searched for a word to say.

“Orgasmic.” Kaylie, Pat's girlfriend put in.

I smiled at them both, “Naw, guys, I'm going to stick with Criminal Justice.”

“Why'd you pick that anyway?” Jared asked, honestly curious.

I shrugged. So far, only Baylee and her parents knew the full reason behind it. “I just think it's cool...you know? I get to catch the bad guys and make the world a little better, even if it is just until another dude pops up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
SECOND CHAPTER!!!!!

I'm actually really liking this story...like....
A LOT.

I've got big plans for this.

Anyway...
Devon's outfit/bikini

My stomach hurts a little from the cocoa I just gulped down, but I think I'll manage to stay alive somehow.
I'm going to watch a movie. Probably something on our netflix instant queue....
Probably Ouran High School Host Club....
:O
YEAH THEY HAVE THAT ON INSTANT!!!!!!!!!
*love*

Fun fact: I basically wrote two versions of this chapter and this was the better of the two. I'm actually pretty glad I picked this one...yupp.

Have a great day! And, for those of us who have school off tomorrow for President's Day, have a good tomorrow! And for those of you who have to go to school, I'm sorry. But at least try to make it a good day...for me?
<3 Sara Michelle.

P.S. I think my sister laced my cocoa with crack, because suddenly I am VERY hyper.
I hope I can sit still to watch Host Club....