Concrete Castle

Oh Dear

-Baylee-

Devon looked extra worried as she sat in my car as I drove her back to the apartment. She also seemed to be itching to ask me something.

“What was---” She stopped, then groaned.

“Yes?” I urged her on, “Is there something you want to say?”

“No.” She shook her head, leaning against the window. “Nothing.”

“Okay.” I let out slowly. Why was she all fidgety and worried? I bet something more happened with John that she's not letting on. But she's so secretive and junk all the time, it's hard to get her to say. So, I dropped it. She'll tell me if she wanted to. Which, she probably won't.

I sighed, stepping out of the car, Devon was already halfway to the apartment door. I got into the apartment just as Devon was shutting herself up in her room. I sighed once again, sitting on the couch and turning on the television. Our one and only channel could at least give me background noise as I tried to study.

About 30 minutes into it, my phone rang. I smiled as I answered, “Hey Kenny.”

“Hey, Bay.” He greeted. “John wants out.”

“Make sure he's on a leash.” I joked.

“Be serious, please, Baylee,” Kennedy said impatiently. “I think we may have screwed up big time with this bet thing.”

“Why do you think so?”

“He seemed really upset, and then him and Garrett got into it. Then they both stormed off.”

“Upset? Huh, Dev's been acting weird, too.”

“When I tried to ask John about it, he wouldn't tell me.”

“I doubt Devon will tell me anything either.” I told him heavily.

“John seems pretty torn up about something.” Kennedy said again, “I mean, he willingly went to go do lawn work for his mother. He hates that.”

“Do you think that...maybe...he's fallen in love with her?” I asked quietly. “And feels guilty about it being a bet?”

“I think that would explain it.” Kenny sighed, and I could picture him running his hands through his hair. “I didn't expect this...it's John.”

As I was about to say something, Devon emerged from her room, “I'm going over to work.”

“But you don't work Thursdays.” I pointed out to her.

“I know, but...I can't really...think at the moment. I might not even go over there...I just need to clear my mind.” She muttered.

“Okay.” I nodded, and as soon as she was safely out the door, I went back to Kennedy, “I think...she likes him more than she lets anyone see.” I suddenly felt very, very guilty. But, it will be okay as long as she doesn't find out, right?

-Garrett-

Anger wasn't even the word. I was infuriated. John had made a bet, to get Devon. Devon was hanging on his every word. He's told her more lies than truths at this point. I couldn't help but be angry at myself, as well.

Maybe if I would have told her how I felt before, she wouldn't be headed for this huge...disaster. My heart twisted.

Would she cry?

I hope not. I think that would possibly be the most heartbreaking thing in the world. If she cried...

I'm not going to tell her though, that's John's responsibility. But, I know he won't tell her. Maybe I'll give her a little hint that John hasn't been totally honest with her and have her, if she wants to, pry the answer from him.

I did not want to be around when that bomb went off. Devon had a short enough temper, and hated being lied to. It would probably cause World War III, honestly. More than anything, though, I'm pretty sure she'd distrust men even more. I don't really know what happened to her before, but it had to have been something bad, and now this.

Why didn't I stop it earlier, when I first heard about it?

I'm so stupid. Idiot. Could it be that, I thought it would be a little better for her, like Baylee and Kennedy had? Maybe finally get her to open up? How could we all be so...cruel to her?

“Where is Devon?” I asked as Baylee opened the door to their apartment.

“She...left. Garrett, what are you going to do?” Baylee asked suspiciously.

“She deserves to know, Baylee, don't you think? How you have been so cruel—no, how we all have been so cruel.”

“I didn't think it would turn out like this, Gar.” She sighed, leaning her head on the door she was still holding open. “And, yes, I feel terrible, but it's better that she doesn't find, out, don't you think?”

“No! Because she will find out eventually, and if it's even a week from now, it will...” I tried to find a good enough word for it, “She'll be devastated.” But, even that didn't seem to do it justice.

“Garrett, please, just...let them stay the way they are. They're good for each other. John's out of the bet now, so it doesn't really matter anymore, right?”

“I doubt that's how Devon will see it.” Garret shook his head.

“That's why you can't tell her! She'll hate all of us.”

I'm not going to tell her, it's John's responsibility. I'm just going to tell her that John hasn't been completely truthful.”

“Garrett,” Baylee pleaded, “She's been my friend practically since we were born, don't do this. She'll hate us all.”

“Then you should have thought about that before you made the stupid thing. As long as she knows and isn't lied to, I'm fine with the outcome. Even if she does hate me. I mean, it would suck...” I trailed off, not knowing what else to say. “Anyway, tell her I want to talk with her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Blllllaaaahhhh
It's all short and stuff...
Sorry.
I wanted to get you guys out the sequel page (go check it out!)
And I just couldn't think of anything else that would fit into this chapter.

Next chapter she's going to see her papa.
O.O
And some other stuff, but you'll have to wait and see.

While you're waiting for my next update for this story, read this one:
Life of Illusion

Anyway, I have to go continue to make stuff for a fundraiser....TOMORROW? WHAT?
Yikes.

<3 Sara Michelle.