Concrete Castle

Understanding.

A soft snoring came from John, and I slowly got up and put back on my shoes. It was around four in the morning now. I have to say, John had been kind to offer to stay up with me, but obviously, he couldn't take it.

Before leaving, I put his blanket over his lanky form, figuring he might be cold since he was still only in his boxers. With my hand on the doorknob, I thought a moment. Going back to grab John's keys from the stand, and my wallet, I went out again.

What happened to John's car?

I decided to walk by the club we have been at earlier, and sure enough, John's shiny silver car was parked there. Complete with a ticket. Oh, poor John. I smiled and unlocked the doors, climbing in the front seat.

Walmart had some pretty tasty muffins, right? Not as fabulous as a real bakery or deli or whatever, but they were still good.

Even if they weren't poppy seed...

Grabbing some of the bakery muffins and two little cartons of chocolate milk, I checked out.

Upon returning to the dorm, I was quiet as to not wake any one up. I set the muffins on top of the mini fridge, placing the milk inside. On top of the muffins on a scrap piece of paper, I scrawled out:

John,

Thanks for taking care of me. So, as a thanks, I picked up your car and got both you and Halvo muffins and milk.

--Devon
P.S. I'm borrowing one of your shirts.


Rummaging through John's haphazardly folded clothes in his drawer, I picked out a red plaid button up. Smelling it for good measure, I searched for a towel.

Having to walk to the other dorm building for a girl's shower, it took up time I could be thinking, or worse, sleeping.

Good thing, too.

Feeling refreshed and more awake the shower, I walked back to my apartmend, knocking on the door.

Nothing. I sighed. I set the bundle of towel and shirt next to the door, nobody would bother them. As I continued walking around the buildings, I pulled out my phone, dialing Baylee.

Answering with a few choice words, Baylee groaned out, “What do you want?”

“Hey, do we have a spare key for the apartment anywhere?” I asked.

“No.”

“Are you sure.”

“Yes, but if you can get over to Kenny's, I can give a set to you.”

“Alright, thanks.”

….........

It was almost seven by the time I could get into the apartment again, and I yawned big while pushing the door open. Not bothering to change clothes, I sat at my desk doing homework. Not that I had much left, but I double checked to pass time.

Around eight, as I was finishing my breakfast, there was a knock at the door. Since I figured it would be Baylee getting her stuff for classes, I was surprised to see John through the peephole.

“John? What are you doing here?” I asked his smiling face.

“I figured you would want a ride?” My legs did kind of hurt from walking so much...

“Sure, do you want some breakfast?”

“No, it's alright. This pretty amazing person got me some muffins.”

“Oh, I see.” I really believe that was the first time he actually complimented me. I grabbed my bag and stray books, following John.

“You know, you took my favorite shirt.” John mentioned as we sat down in his car.

“Yup. I like to make your life miserable.” I teased.

“Sure seems like it.” He said distractedly as he pulled out of the apartment complex. Realizing what he had just let slip, he looked at me apologetically.

“I'm sorry, John.” I examined the scenery outside as it whizzed past. “I was too quick to judge you before. But...you're actually a pretty good guy.”

“I'm sorry, too, for everything I have said to you and about you.” John apologized.

“Friends?”

“Friends.” John confirmed, a smile on his face. “So...Halvo and I were talking this morning about going camping with everyone out in the desert, want to join?”

It was appealing, yeah. I could probably use a break. “Who else is coming?”

“Well, the rest of the band and Halvo. Most likely Baylee, too, you know. We're just going to skip classes on Friday for a little extra time.”

“Skip classes?” I asked, not really sure about that aspect.

“Oh, right. You like learning.” John mentioned, rolling his eyes. “I guess you and I could stay and come later.”

“You could go with them if you wanted, I'm not totally useless. I think I can manage to get there on my own.” I suggested.

“If I stay, it means I don't have to wake up as early, or help set up camp.” John smiled, “I hate putting up tents. I always hurt something.”

“Oh really, I would love to see that!” I chuckled.

“You would.” John pouted, “I was thinking...do you want to grab a bite for lunch with me?”

“I don't know, depends.”

“Depends on what?” He asked.

“Where we're going.” I shrugged, “And if Baylee can come.”

“Sure, Baylee can come but I was thinking like...some pizza place or something, since I heard that's your favorite.”

He actually remembered that conversation from last night. This boy has amazing recall.

-Baylee-

“You're ruining this being a date.” John hissed to me as Devon waited for the pizza we had ordered.

I lifted one shoulder, “I think you're going to have to try harder, Mr. Ohh.” I said, sipping my cola. “Devon won't go on a date with someone that easy, you know. And especially you.”

John groaned, “This sucks.”

“Finally figuring out that you're in over your head?” I gave him a sly smile. “Devon is an enigma.”

“More like bipolar.” John shot back, glaring and the blond in question. His eyes widened and he turned to me, “How often does Devon have night terrors?” He asked.

I swallowed the ice cube I was sucking on whole, coughing in surprise. “Why do you ask?” I said, after recovering.

“Well, last night she was screaming, freaked out half my dorm complex.” He started to explain.

“One Hawaiian pizza on the table!” Devon cheered, setting it down between John and me. She didn't seem like she hadn't slept in going on two days now. I sent John a look to not pry on this situation.

“What were you guys talking about?” Devon asked, taking a bite of the pizza.

“Nothing.” I shook my head, “Just what we'll be doing for this weekend.” I lied swiftly.

“I think I will take Friday off.” Devon nodded, “I think I need it.” She added.

Quickly, I put my hand to her forehead, “Are you okay, Dev?” I asked, shocked, “This will be the first day of any kind of school you've missed since Kindergarten!”

“Not true!” She denied, “There was the time I broke my leg and had to spend that day in the emergency room.”

“But you broke it in gym class.”

“Still wasn't present for the rest of it.” She sung. Next to me, John snorted in laughter. “What's so funny?” Devon asked, narrowing her eyes.

Oh, no.

“You.”

Oh, no.

“Hey, Dev, has the car place gotten back to you?” I interrupted, not wanting them to get into yet another spat. I could tell those coming from a mile away.

“Yeah, I need a lift after classes to go get it, can you be a couple minutes late for work?” Devon asked, setting down her pizza slice. I can see the dark circles getting worse under her eyes and I felt bad. There was nothing I could do for her.

I just hoped there was something John could do. Because, though they almost got into a fight a few minutes ago, they seemed to be in good terms with each other. Any more of this, and John might actually win the bet.

With the amount they fought, you would say they were a married couple. In the definition of love and hate, there isn't really that much of a difference. To love: to have a strong liking for. To hate: to feel intense dislike.

They're both strong emotions, something may have just gotten lost in translation. One admiring smile may have been taken as a condescending smirk. Them fighting was just to mask all that sexual tension, it was practically impossible to hate someone as much as those two seemed to hate each other.

With Devon, though, you really never knew. She was so stubborn she probably wouldn't even admit any positive emotions to herself, let alone anyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
All the times I looked up how spell Garett's last name Nickelsen, I never even realized his name had two T's, not one.
AND HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME!?!?!?!
But still, a report from that?
I feel like such an airhead.

In other news, I've decided on the song I will dance to with my new husband at my wedding.
'This I Promise You' by *NSYNC.
It's a sweet song. I love it so much.
Or 'God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You'

<3 Sara Michelle
P.S. I hope xDead.by.DawnX had a good time at her The Maine concert.
I'M JEALOUS!!! I might see them in June though *excitement*